Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The only reason I'm not stuck playing fulltime on private servers is because they are often bug ridden. Even the big names out there like Feenix-wow has tons of movement bugs and bugs in general which makes it unplayable for me. It's still very populated and has been for many years now. Just hope that corecraft comes out soon so I can try that one out. They have been working a lot to fix all the bugs on the server, to make movement really smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    "Have you ever thought about adding servers for previous expansions"

"No."

Best news we've had all day
    Damned right, now if there were any justice in the world nobody would ever ask this again. Instead, it will be asked continuously anyway.

There will be vanilla servers and BC servers etc. But only when WoW is down to -1 mil subs. Which might not happen for another decade honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrigan View Post
    There will be vanilla servers and BC servers etc. But only when WoW is down to -1 mil subs. Which might not happen for another decade honestly.
    Once WoW is below 1 million subs they are going to be even less willing to spend extra money on niche content

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I think one big reason people forget for private servers is the fact they are free... I know several people that play on a private server for just this reason alone. They just want to play WoW without spending a penny, they don't really care what version it is.

(Obviously anecdotal, but still... how many of those on private servers would really pay for the same thing but run by Blizzard?)
    Initially, yes. WotLK was still current when I started playing, which is what it still is for me. Admit I might be slightly envious of a few little things (like the Darkmoon Carousel and now housing... though guild houses have been around forever), but more importantly I do not like the sound of what's been lost to my fav class Cata onward. Nor do I envy some of the attitude and junk I read about. Where I'm at is small, but it suits me. Wouldn't go elsewhere unless I had no choice and I was offered an exact clone of my mains, though unfortunately their transmogs are not even possible in most cases. (I hope this isn't going too far into this topic..trying to keep it vague.. )

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Private servers say otherwise. But hey! If were going down that path of "logic" I guess pet battles and HC raiding should be removed from the game!
    One has to wonder--and since you use this argument you can feel free to answer it--how many people playing on private servers would willingly pay $15/month extra for access to vanilla servers. My guess is very few. I suppose that most people that support this want it to just be part of the standard subscription. But at this point it's clear that even if Blizzard would give it serious thought--they aren't--they would certainly probably require a regular subscription be active plus pay extra for this.

At that point, the argument about how interested everyone is runs into a difficult wall to scale.

It was quite refreshing though to hear someone from near the top at Blizzard say "No" without any of the usual conditions they generally make.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

The problem with vanilla servers is the same it has always been.

Yes you remember the old days, Yes you would make a new character and lvl again and like it. Yes you would enjoy the raids.....
    And then you cleared naxx for the 50th time and then?
    PvP is an even smaller niece and lets not kid ourselves. The balance was terrible aswell and it wont last either. The end if that you have a realm where people will play for a few months and then it dies out as everyone quits because there is nothing new to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    One has to wonder--and since you use this argument you can feel free to answer it--how many people playing on private servers would willingly pay $15/month extra for access to vanilla servers. My guess is very few. I suppose that most people that support this want it to just be part of the standard subscription. But at this point it's clear that even if Blizzard would give it serious thought--they aren't--they would certainly probably require a regular subscription be active plus pay extra for this.

At that point, the argument about how interested everyone is runs into a difficult wall to scale.

It was quite refreshing though to hear someone from near the top at Blizzard say "No" without any of the usual conditions they generally make.
    Hell if I know, I played on them because I enjoyed it. Its not as deep as everyones making it, some people just simply enjoy the older games. I still play current wow, im actually excited about the new XPac, however I dont like forcing myself onto one game, and to me, each expansion is vastly different to its predecessors.

Maybe they would consider paying, maybe they wont, I can tell you for a fact that me and a few others I play with would more than happily pay the normal sub (which im already paying) to access servers that are more professional and less buggy.

The one thing that annoys me so much is the absolute malice and hatred people seem to have for anyone with this opinion. That is one thing I simply cant understand, unless I assume that everyone here is a basement dweller with no social skills (which im more than positive isnt the case).

Basicly for me, Id like them to at least entertain the idea, on 1 server, maybe even make it a PTR server. See what the interest is like and then scrap it or keep it, at least that way I can stop posting about it. Till then, if anyone brings up the subject ill continue to post my opinion, I think a contributing factor as to why you dont see this opinion on MMOC a lot, is due to the absolute abuse the posters get, even I get tired of the shite at times and just dont bother posting responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    The one thing that annoys me so much is the absolute malice and hatred people seem to have for anyone with this opinion. That is one thing I simply cant understand, unless I assume that everyone here is a basement dweller with no social skills (which im more than positive isnt the case).
    Oh, we see a lot of threads about this. Or I do anyway. And thanks for replying. My stance on it is to more or less wonder about the futility of it given the lack of interest on the part of the people who would have to do it. I'm basically even-tempered about things. I would suppose at this point that Blizzard is more or less OK with them being out there as it's not difficult to find them and would be easy enough for them to shut down if they wanted to make any effort to do so. I've toyed with them myself on occasion and my personal opinion is that they're pretty good advertisements for the current game. Having a few out there is a little like releasing the lid on a pressure cooker in a way I guess as far as Blizzard is concerned. Not that they would ever actually say that.

Anyway, thanks again for the response.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Part of me is happy they aren't looking back to it, another part of me would like to see peoples' reactions once they find out the "glory days" weren't as glorious as they remembered them to be.

Okay, it was very good for what it was back then, I was mind blown going into it, but Vanilla had some design elements which would be frowned upon by today's standards, like the intentional spec imbalance, no choices whatsoever, tedious grinding for reputation and resistance gear, etc. It was fun back then, but it's not something that'd be enjoyed by the majority today.
    As someone who plays a private server, I can confirm the glory days are better than modern wow.

Sorry if that bothers you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Once WoW is below 1 million subs they are going to be even less willing to spend extra money on niche content
    13 million subscribers. Niche.

You a funnay guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
    Why would they.

If you want old servers then play on private or something.
    Hilarious thing, I've been playing a Vanilla private server (with 12x exp and it's still pretty slow) and guess what so much of chat is filled with. People complaining about PvP balance and not having enough gold to pay for their spells.

Don't get me wrong, I've really been enjoying it so far. Levelling a Mage with my friend (Warrior) and it's been great going through all of the old zones. But I'm pretty sure that the majority of people crying out for Vanilla/TBC servers are either forgetting many of the drawbacks of the game then or simply didn't play it at all.

And yet the people who want it will ignore this and continue to ask.
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.
    Friend Safari: Steel, Metang, Mawile, and Klefki.

I understand how much people want this but Blizzard has said multiple times no. In the Q and A they mocked it. Either accept it or Private Server?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedComplex View Post
    As someone who plays a private server, I can confirm the glory days are better than modern wow.

Sorry if that bothers you

- - - Updated - - -

13 million subscribers. Niche.

You a funnay guy.
    You can't speak for everyone. Your opinion of a better game isn't the same as everyone else's. (Sorry if that bothers you)

It'd be interesting to see the subscriber numbers in more detail. I would imagine that back in Vanilla and TBC you had fewer players, but they stayed subbed for longer. Then as the game progressed into Cata and Mists, you had a lot more people subscribing at different points, but they weren't staying subscribed for as long, only a month or two.

It makes sense really. Making content easily accessible means that people don't spend time working towards that content and therefore 'finish' quicker.

Just look at what happened to RuneScape. Nearly 500,000 people paid to vote in a poll to bring back a 2007 version of RuneScape (considered the best and most active era of the game) and now there are barely ~18K concurrent players less than a year later. Sure, it was fun when it was released and I still log on occasionally, but the community has just dwindled after the hype died down. People just look too fondly back on the past...

While i personally wouldnt mind vanilla severs, i really dont care for it either. Also its not rly surprising as blizz always said they wont do it.
    There is no such thing as "ability bloat" just l2fp.

Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    Why no Vanilla? Outside of raiding it was pretty much inbalanced, terrible itemization and class system (seriously palas were useless as well as enhance shammies).
    What are you talking about? Paladins and shamans were not useless in vanilla. They were both PvP gods.

The original design goal back then was that alliance was the PvE faction and horde was the PvP faction. Shaman were designed to destroy everything in PvP. Originally, paladins gave alliance crucial edges in PvE to make encounters easier compared to Horde. As it turned out, the Paladin bubble system could be chained with multiple Palaldins to make all of them invincible in PvP as well. For example, in vanilla Arahti Basin, 2 paladins could tap a flag and could hold off the ENTIRE 15 man horde team by using bubble smartly to chain going invincible and healing each other. There was no counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    And yet the people who want it will ignore this and continue to ask.
    Because continuing to ask works. See: Insta-90 button. Housing.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse
    I still prefer seeing Thrall rather than blood in my urine, that doesnt make him a good character. - Verdugo

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Those don't require Blizzard to maintain different versions of their game in their network infrastructure. So I doubt if it's ever going to work in this case.

They've said this before. Niche activity.

I personally would love to give Vanilla/TBC servers a go if I had time. But in reality only a few people would play them, and they'd get bored of them fairly quickly. Only a very small, extremely devoted core would continue to play them long term enough to justify their existence. Cost >>> benefit unfortunately.

Especially when there are illegal ones you can just use...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I think insta-90 was just inevitable given how much leveling a new player has on their plate now. Housing yeah people begged for years, and Bliz always said "only if we can think of something cool to actually do with it", and now they finally did... so IDK if player nagging was the reason it happened. Except insofar as Bliz obviously wants to make things that people actually like.

Also I think of it more as a mini Warcraft RTS base inside WoW than player housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.