Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    "Have you ever thought about adding servers for previous expansions"

"No."

Best news we've had all day
    Granted they also dropped the idea of player housing long ago.. and now look.

If older expansion servers did ever exist I really doubt it would ever happen until the expansions are ended and WoW is just sitting in it's final state with a handful of servers remaining. At that point it might not be a bad idea to repurpose a few for older expansions if it brought some players back in, but not until then.

Doing a quick google, you can find Vanilla Private servers that are run much like they were at that time (no exp boosts etc)

I challenge you to go and play on one and tell us how it really was, in a word, it was terrible, we just didn't know it since it was all that was available at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Did anyone really still think that Blizzard will offer such servers? I mean...not hoping, but really thinking so? That's kinda naive.
    I bet they will eventually once WoW's fame dies even further (probably within next 5 years). If not, well emulated servers will simply become bigger in community sizes than they are now.
    -K

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    I bet they will eventually once WoW's fame dies even further (probably within next 5 years).
    Seems very unlikely. Yes, there are people who want such servers - but I doubt that there are anywhere as much as there would need to be to justify the costs/effort.

And I don't think that emulated servers will become much more popular than they are now.
    Why? There won't suddenly be 100% more people that want to play on Vanilla servers. Most who want to probably already do.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let the people with misguided sense of nostalgia play on private servers for a couple of weeks before realizing they're wrong and quitting that too as it happens today already. No need for vanilla servers.
    Butts.

Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    I bet they will eventually once WoW's fame dies even further (probably within next 5 years). If not, well emulated servers will simply become bigger in community sizes than they are now.
    Yah. This. I mean, if WoW was die'n then obviously putting up some old servers would bring tons of people back who had abandoned the game several years earlier. I know of a few friends who all stopped playing 7 years ago after getting married and becoming adults that would definitely come back to WoW if there were vanilla servers.

#absurd#idiotic#vanillaisoverthankfully

Not sure if people realistically think that vanilla server will be true. Playable Kobold is more likely to be true.

They'll always consider things when there's enough interest

Deleted
    Vanilla servers on yak confirmed
    Half life 3 confirmed

I once tried a vanilla private server which didn't have bugs or problems and it was a normal one without stupid gimmicks.

It sucked.

Deleted

"No."

We will get them anyway, maybe even with the 10th annuary.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahnold View Post
    We will get them anyway, maybe even with the 10th annuary.
    Sure. Together with the dance studio and General Drakkisath as the Horde warchief.

Deleted
    The only reason I'm not stuck playing fulltime on private servers is because they are often bug ridden. Even the big names out there like Feenix-wow has tons of movement bugs and bugs in general which makes it unplayable for me. It's still very populated and has been for many years now. Just hope that corecraft comes out soon so I can try that one out. They have been working a lot to fix all the bugs on the server, to make movement really smooth.

"No."

Damned right, now if there were any justice in the world nobody would ever ask this again. Instead, it will be asked continuously anyway.

There will be vanilla servers and BC servers etc. But only when WoW is down to -1 mil subs. Which might not happen for another decade honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrigan View Post
    There will be vanilla servers and BC servers etc. But only when WoW is down to -1 mil subs. Which might not happen for another decade honestly.
    Once WoW is below 1 million subs they are going to be even less willing to spend extra money on niche content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I think one big reason people forget for private servers is the fact they are free... I know several people that play on a private server for just this reason alone. They just want to play WoW without spending a penny, they don't really care what version it is.

(Obviously anecdotal, but still... how many of those on private servers would really pay for the same thing but run by Blizzard?)
    Initially, yes. WotLK was still current when I started playing, which is what it still is for me. Admit I might be slightly envious of a few little things (like the Darkmoon Carousel and now housing... though guild houses have been around forever), but more importantly I do not like the sound of what's been lost to my fav class Cata onward. Nor do I envy some of the attitude and junk I read about. Where I'm at is small, but it suits me. Wouldn't go elsewhere unless I had no choice and I was offered an exact clone of my mains, though unfortunately their transmogs are not even possible in most cases. (I hope this isn't going too far into this topic..trying to keep it vague.. )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Private servers say otherwise. But hey! If were going down that path of "logic" I guess pet battles and HC raiding should be removed from the game!
    One has to wonder--and since you use this argument you can feel free to answer it--how many people playing on private servers would willingly pay $15/month extra for access to vanilla servers. My guess is very few. I suppose that most people that support this want it to just be part of the standard subscription. But at this point it's clear that even if Blizzard would give it serious thought--they aren't--they would certainly probably require a regular subscription be active plus pay extra for this.

At that point, the argument about how interested everyone is runs into a difficult wall to scale.

It was quite refreshing though to hear someone from near the top at Blizzard say "No" without any of the usual conditions they generally make.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

The problem with vanilla servers is the same it has always been.

Yes you remember the old days, Yes you would make a new character and lvl again and like it. Yes you would enjoy the raids.....
    And then you cleared naxx for the 50th time and then?
    PvP is an even smaller niece and lets not kid ourselves. The balance was terrible aswell and it wont last either. The end if that you have a realm where people will play for a few months and then it dies out as everyone quits because there is nothing new to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    The one thing that annoys me so much is the absolute malice and hatred people seem to have for anyone with this opinion. That is one thing I simply cant understand, unless I assume that everyone here is a basement dweller with no social skills (which im more than positive isnt the case).
    Oh, we see a lot of threads about this. Or I do anyway. And thanks for replying. My stance on it is to more or less wonder about the futility of it given the lack of interest on the part of the people who would have to do it. I'm basically even-tempered about things. I would suppose at this point that Blizzard is more or less OK with them being out there as it's not difficult to find them and would be easy enough for them to shut down if they wanted to make any effort to do so. I've toyed with them myself on occasion and my personal opinion is that they're pretty good advertisements for the current game. Having a few out there is a little like releasing the lid on a pressure cooker in a way I guess as far as Blizzard is concerned. Not that they would ever actually say that.

Anyway, thanks again for the response.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."