Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Part of me is happy they aren't looking back to it, another part of me would like to see peoples' reactions once they find out the "glory days" weren't as glorious as they remembered them to be.

Okay, it was very good for what it was back then, I was mind blown going into it, but Vanilla had some design elements which would be frowned upon by today's standards, like the intentional spec imbalance, no choices whatsoever, tedious grinding for reputation and resistance gear, etc. It was fun back then, but it's not something that'd be enjoyed by the majority today.
    As someone who plays a private server, I can confirm the glory days are better than modern wow.

Sorry if that bothers you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Once WoW is below 1 million subs they are going to be even less willing to spend extra money on niche content
    13 million subscribers. Niche.

You a funnay guy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
    Why would they.

If you want old servers then play on private or something.
    Hilarious thing, I've been playing a Vanilla private server (with 12x exp and it's still pretty slow) and guess what so much of chat is filled with. People complaining about PvP balance and not having enough gold to pay for their spells.

Don't get me wrong, I've really been enjoying it so far. Levelling a Mage with my friend (Warrior) and it's been great going through all of the old zones. But I'm pretty sure that the majority of people crying out for Vanilla/TBC servers are either forgetting many of the drawbacks of the game then or simply didn't play it at all.

And yet the people who want it will ignore this and continue to ask.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

I understand how much people want this but Blizzard has said multiple times no. In the Q and A they mocked it. Either accept it or Private Server?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedComplex View Post
    As someone who plays a private server, I can confirm the glory days are better than modern wow.

Sorry if that bothers you

- - - Updated - - -

13 million subscribers. Niche.

You a funnay guy.
    You can't speak for everyone. Your opinion of a better game isn't the same as everyone else's. (Sorry if that bothers you)

It'd be interesting to see the subscriber numbers in more detail. I would imagine that back in Vanilla and TBC you had fewer players, but they stayed subbed for longer. Then as the game progressed into Cata and Mists, you had a lot more people subscribing at different points, but they weren't staying subscribed for as long, only a month or two.

It makes sense really. Making content easily accessible means that people don't spend time working towards that content and therefore 'finish' quicker.

Just look at what happened to RuneScape. Nearly 500,000 people paid to vote in a poll to bring back a 2007 version of RuneScape (considered the best and most active era of the game) and now there are barely ~18K concurrent players less than a year later. Sure, it was fun when it was released and I still log on occasionally, but the community has just dwindled after the hype died down. People just look too fondly back on the past...

While i personally wouldnt mind vanilla severs, i really dont care for it either. Also its not rly surprising as blizz always said they wont do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suprm View Post
    Why no Vanilla? Outside of raiding it was pretty much inbalanced, terrible itemization and class system (seriously palas were useless as well as enhance shammies).
    What are you talking about? Paladins and shamans were not useless in vanilla. They were both PvP gods.

The original design goal back then was that alliance was the PvE faction and horde was the PvP faction. Shaman were designed to destroy everything in PvP. Originally, paladins gave alliance crucial edges in PvE to make encounters easier compared to Horde. As it turned out, the Paladin bubble system could be chained with multiple Palaldins to make all of them invincible in PvP as well. For example, in vanilla Arahti Basin, 2 paladins could tap a flag and could hold off the ENTIRE 15 man horde team by using bubble smartly to chain going invincible and healing each other. There was no counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    And yet the people who want it will ignore this and continue to ask.
    Because continuing to ask works. See: Insta-90 button. Housing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Those don't require Blizzard to maintain different versions of their game in their network infrastructure. So I doubt if it's ever going to work in this case.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

They've said this before. Niche activity.

I personally would love to give Vanilla/TBC servers a go if I had time. But in reality only a few people would play them, and they'd get bored of them fairly quickly. Only a very small, extremely devoted core would continue to play them long term enough to justify their existence. Cost >>> benefit unfortunately.

Especially when there are illegal ones you can just use...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I think insta-90 was just inevitable given how much leveling a new player has on their plate now. Housing yeah people begged for years, and Bliz always said "only if we can think of something cool to actually do with it", and now they finally did... so IDK if player nagging was the reason it happened. Except insofar as Bliz obviously wants to make things that people actually like.

Also I think of it more as a mini Warcraft RTS base inside WoW than player housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The WoW community loses its mind if a raid tier lasts longer than 6 months, how could they handle a server where the raid tier never ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    So your happy that they arent adding something a lot of people would find enjoyable?

What does that make you as a person.

And yeah, they can do whatever, if I want to play it theres a million private servers.
    There may be a small % that -think- they would find it enjoyable. There is a smaller % that would actually find it enjoyable.

The don't have the files. Coding and engine are nothing like they were.
    They don't need to piss away resources maintaining a single server for nostalgia sake, with a separate set of bugs and issues.
    There would be NO new content. No events, nothing. You'd get geared up, you'd be done. No BC. No new spells. No anything.
    People would get bored; still complain; quit.

Would you accept a vanilla server for $45/month and a $100 buy in? How obsessed are you, let them know; if it is profitable and self-sustainable, maybe they will do it ... but simply begging for it or bitching about it will not make it happen.

Happy they aren't doing it? It makes me a person that has been given a bit of faith that the company has some business sense and knows what is best for their product.

Not only would it have its normal problems and costs; but it would spark confusion in the market for the consumer. It makes no sense to market and sell a game from 10 years ago to compete with its own iteration.

private server legality aside; yes, you can. You can see what it was like, then go back to retail, like most do. Let those rose tinted glasses shatter, then finally be happy with what they produce ... or move on.

I think it's more of a longing for the past, especially in a game that changes as much as WoW does. The people wanting vanilla servers are most likely the people who played the pen-and-paper RPGs like D&D and enjoyed the real dungeon crawls such as BRD and BRS.

The systems have been constantly refined to meet the demands of modern gamers. That's what a gaming company does. People who started in vanilla will remember that fondly, people who started in BC will remember that fondly, etc etc. But, the game MUST evolve or it gets extremely stale. If the game was in the same state as it was in vanilla or even BC, it would not be nearly as popular as it is now.

Vanilla servers would be popular for a couple months max, and then fizzle out. Blizzard knows this.

I play EQ. They have progression servers. Two in fact. These are equivalent to Classic servers.

The kicker is EQ is free to play, but if you want to play on these classic servers you have to have a sub, and sub they do.

Rusescape has classic servers. Same deal.

The "Blizzard knows best" arrogance is getting old mostly because it is insulting to tell me I wouldn't like it and even more so when I know they are wrong being an EQ player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I would be blunt with you, but im trying to limit my infractions.

Private servers say otherwise. But hey! If were going down that path of "logic" I guess pet battles and HC raiding should be removed from the game!

And about 87% of posters are pink elephants.

(see I can make up abitrary figures and baseless comparisons too)
    Yeah, people play private servers because they like it better, not because they can get it for free instead of a hundred bucks a year (with sub fees and expansions included). That's why.

Old versions of WoW are so stank that it's almost funny. Oh yeah, I'd love to raid MC a few hundred more times while trying to get a healing power piece and wearing + fire damage for holy fire. WOOOOHOOOOO. Yeah, i love getting gear upgrades that I gotta go beat on level 5 boars for an hour to use, OH YEAH.

Even Wrath sucked compared to modern WoW. SPELL RANKS! Love that cluttered up spellbook, 5 pages of Flash Heal/Heal/Greater Heal. How about those old raid frames? Nice.

Seriously, I'll never stop wishing I didn't have to hear people who clearly weren't in Vanilla/TBC/Wrath complaining about how much better it was. That game was piss-easy, had an ugly UI, took way too long. Oh yeah, 60% flight speed, ENGAGING GAME PLAY. Taking longer to get somewhere is HARDER and MORE SATISFYING.

Jesus.

I play on a 3rd party vanilla server, although I'd much rather pay Blizzard for such a service. They seem to be staunchly against taking my money in this regard.

I can honestly say that, in my own opinion, WoW as it is right now is inferior as an MMO to vanilla. It's not nostalgia.

Also, on the server that I play on, there are usually several hundred people in the queue. Even on weekdays. I think the naysayers are seriously underestimating how many people would legitimately be interested in playing on official classic servers long term.

Even Wrath sucked compared to modern WoW.
    Oh, is that why it keeps hemorrhaging subscribers? Huh.

Vanilla servers would be popular for a couple months max, and then fizzle out. Blizzard knows this.
    3rd party server populations would indicate that you are incorrect, my friend.

They don't need to piss away resources maintaining a single server for nostalgia sak
    If the 3rd party folks can do it for free in their spare time, then Blizzard can do it for money.
    Last edited by Zeromus; 2013-11-10 at 08:14 AM.

Got to look at why people play MMOs. A big chunk wants to me immersed in another world. Honestly what does that better 1. current WoW that gives you everything right away and doesn't even make you walk to a dungeon or 2. old school WoW.

That's why people say old WoW is better. Modern gamers are too impatient.

Deleted
    I like how Blizzard fanboys talk about how people who don't like modern WoW are immature and trolls, yet they make petty vindictive threads like this.

Also, can people stop using the arguement that it would take resources away from development of the main game and somehow irreparably damage it? Acti-Blizzard is a billion dollar company, I fail to see how their budgets are so stretched that any amount spent on progression servers would be a harmful drain on the main game.
    Last edited by mmoc4e765b20d3; 2013-11-10 at 09:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    I like how Blizzard fanboys talk about how people who don't like modern WoW are immature and trolls, yet they make petty vindictive threads like this.

Also, can people stop using the arguement that it would take resources away from development of the main game and somehow irreparably damage it? Acti-Blizzard is a billion dollar company, I fail to see how their budgets are so stretched that any amount spent on progression servers would be a harmful drain on the main game.
    Because they don't have enough teams to flesh out content as fast as they want AND create/maintain classic servers.

It's a normal argument and it makes perfect sense. Do you know how big their company is other than "Hey they have LOTS OF CASH!"?