Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Ack, i really hope Rich isnt perma banned

seriously, these millitant anti military folks are just ridiculous...
    you won't get perma banned for that, i think you gotta do something really crazy for a permaban

Deleted
    Either way, I think the moral of the story is that today, despite being public, is a personal event.

Honour who you want. No need for broad statements discrediting the sacrifices of millions of people because of opinions purely influenced by recent events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    What I do believe though, which I think it isn't too much to ask for, is that I shouldn't be asked to honour those whose actions I disagree with.
    It's about honouring all those who have lost their lives during war, regardless of what action they fought in, or whether you are related to them.

Originally it was for British and Empire/Commonwealth troops who lost their lives in WWI, and if you only want to remember that conflict, or whatever other conflicts you prefer, then that is fine - but you should keep your personal politics out of a non-political event, and either pay your respects, or be quiet.

Is it really that hard to let other people pay their respects on one Sunday, and for one minute at 11am on the 11th November each year, without subjecting them to your political opinion?

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

On reflection, this was not the appropriate topic to try and discuss view points and buried pasts.

I apologise for my previous posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Valid complaint.

My grandfather "won" two purple hearts in the pacific theater of WW2. I have his medals. I'm not an automatic respect-the-troops kind of American, but I understand that was mostly a valid war, very important, world saving in some respects.

Whoever infracted Rich for that needs to undo it. Take it up in PM if you prefer.
    I don't know why he was banned, this post didn't receive an infraction. But I'd sure hate to see him gone. He's one of the rather sane people here on this forums.

His remembrance sunday thread here has more validity than for example the Marine's birthday glorification thread. There flame wars raging, with not one infraction showing.. and the thread still going on..
    Here, THIS thread is a valid thread. I am pretty sure all our countries have a holiday, even if it's a Sunday, at which we memorize those who have lost their lives during these unnecessary wars and other tragic events. It's not limited to military. It's extended to all people. Rich is correct, we all are affected by the two wars, and some wars before, or after.
    I've never met my Grandfather on my mothers side. He fell way before I was even born. For all I know about him is a few pictures with him on it. That he was one in a million good hearted soul, and how he got shot out of the sky during an air battle. Politically he was a Social Democrat Party member, which meant he had to keep his head down low. Still when he fell, he was in the ranks of a Lieutenant. I would have loved to meet him, and get to talk and discuss with him about this and that, war related. I also lost 3 great uncles, and one was declared missing in action. He never returned either.

I salute the holiday. If anyone is challenging the occasion..... I wouldn't understand that, truth be told.
    There's a point and a time for criticism, but this thread is not it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    I am British and do not and did not observe the silence on this day. I am always reluctant to bow to traditions. I often question why we do something just because we did it last year or because everybody else does it. I like to pay respect in my own way by researching and learning about the history. Sometimes it is important that traditions carry on, we can learn from the past and make sure they never happen again but I do not like this selective history.

lest we forget...

Lest we forget that approximately 150 years ago Britain completely wiped off the face of the earth all aboriginal Tasmanians

Lest we forget that around 100 years ago Britain was using the fist ever concentration camps which exterminated thousands of women and children.

Where are these events in the annals of British history? When are they taught in schools? When are they remembered?
    Yeah what a great reason to ignore the deaths of tens of millions of people, military and civilian, who had nothing to do with any of that shit. Fight the politicians and imperialists who give the orders if you really need to do something. But don't sit there all high and mighty judging the people who had no say in the matter and painting them with the same brush. Absolutely fuckin' retarded. May as well crack out the "God hates soldiers!" sandwich board. I don't even care if you "apologized" for it. Get your shit together.

My Grandfather and his brothers, great aunts and uncles etc. didn't fight the Boers, or Aborginees, or cage dutch people in camps. They fought the Nazis in France. My family lost people and friends to bombs, waking up to air raid sirens in the middle of the night. I guess fuck all of them because some Lord decided something 50 years before....

edit: redacted some rage cuz Rich got infracted for something else....which was also dumb, but less dumb than it would be for infracting him here.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-11-11 at 12:26 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Some epic meltdowns in this thread.

Deleted
    I went on duty on remembrance Sunday and it was a humbling experience meeting the last remaining WWII veterans who may not be around next year, remembrance Sunday is something that is personally important to me, since 2 generations of my family fought and several died in the 1st and 2nd world wars. Being a 4th generation Brit and the great grandchild of an immigrant, i feel immensely proud how someone in my family was able to earn a Victoria Cross, and it makes me have even more respect for veterans of present day conflicts.

If people find that off topic or taboo well pooh pooh to you. Seriously, especially if you are commonwealth, European or even trans-Atlantic, you must have respect for this special day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Best comedy character of all time, played by a great man.
    GENERAL MELCHETT
    Something's the matter. Something sinister and something grotesque. And what's worse is that it's going on right here under my very nose.

CAPTAIN BLACKADDER
    [protesting] Sir, your moustache is lovely...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori.
    touché.

Deleted
    Working in a school is always depressing today, alot of kids acting like twats during the silence

I served and i come from a huge military family so i will be remembering those who have fallen in the service of there country at 11am today.

We will remember them.

10+ Year Old Account