Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishySquirrel View Post
    I disagree, I much prefer LoL's system over Dota 2's. LoL makes you buy your heroes. Which means that, within a price range you are comfrotable with, you will reaserch hereos you are interested in and you will be more familiar with them, their skills and abilities, before purchasing them.

While Dota 2 just throws 100+ heroes at you. This results in just randomly picking whatever hero looks the shiniest and it can take forever to find the hero you actually enjoy playing. It can be very offputting and has turned me away from playing Dota 2 several times when I was starting. (I'm not playing it now either, I don't find it that interesting to play and I don't want to devote the time necessary to get to high level but the first time was because it's difficult to find a champion you, I in this case, like).
    Sounds like you are one of the players that only plays one hero and has no diversity, when the game is about having a good team composition.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAssBoy View Post
    Sounds like you are one of the players that only plays one hero and has no diversity, when the game is about having a good team composition.
    Where the heck do you pull that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Where the heck do you pull that from?
    He says it can take forever to find the hero you actually enjoy playing. This implies that there is one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAssBoy View Post
    You do know that most pro players tend to specialize in a certain role, correct? And consequently, some of them specialize heavily on one character, and sometimes only use that one character.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    You do know that most pro players tend to specialize in a certain role, correct? And consequently, some of them specialize heavily on one character, and sometimes only use that one character.
    99% of the player-base isn't going to play professionally and have a closely orchestrated team to suit that players role. Only being able to play one Hero or Role will leave the rest of your team picking up your slack.

So what if he does only play 1 hero? You don't get to tell people how to play a game.

I don't know why people keep throwing hypothetical examples around. LoL is currently the most popular game in the world and uses this system and it works great. The only real issue can be launch day heroes tend to be on the OP side and get nerfed down, but the 45 min Blizz interview specifically mentions they'll take care to make sure this isn't the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the problem with this view for most people that have been in this genre for so long: you can be extremely skilled but are limited to certain heroes just because you need to buy them+talents or whatever.
    I much rather have everything be free to see which way I would like to go with hero style, but with the approach they are taking with this game it probably won't apply here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I disagree with you. A new person to the game having a buttload of champions, heroes or whatever can be really confusing. Blizz wants you to be able to learn how to play the game and I believe it's exceptionally difficult if you already have all champions mainly to the fact that you won't know what to pick and train that pick.

It also provides incentive for players to play the game more often. It's rewarding when you get to X currency in a game and buy something you want, isn't it? That's why I personally prefer having to buy instead of having everything without any effort.

And no, the way it is, it's not pay to win because the champions available should be more than enough for you to learn the game and be able to win a match, that is, assuming the game is balanced.

--

As for your second point. We do not know what additional talent options right now could be. For all we know, they were talking about cosmetic effects, so I think there isn't much point to guess and criticize it, yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    you can be extremely skilled but are limited to certain heroes just because you need to buy them+talents or whatever
    Being limited to a certain pool of champions is not a bad thing, quite the opposite. We're humans. We can't possibly be good at everything. It's literally impossible, that's why we focus on a certain pool of heroes/champions in MOBAs and stick with those. We can simply win with that pool of heroes, we do not need to be specialized in all champions to win games. It's simply not necessary.

Knowing how every champion/hero works though, that is another story.

I hate league because of having to pay to unlock heroes. I would hate HoTS for the same reason. Dear god I hope they don't do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the idea of unlocking champions... why? cause sometimes that's even a reason to play, just to get a new champion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsaii View Post
    I hate league because of having to pay to unlock heroes. I would hate HoTS for the same reason. Dear god I hope they don't do this.
    you can bet your ass that they will go that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are advantages and disadvantages with having a limited Hero pool. It is much easier to tailor the experience for beginners when you don't overwhelm them with all the Heroes at once. Heck, when I started playing Dota 2 the amount of Heroes didn't even do anything for me. I still haven't played all the Heroes in that game by a longshot and probably I never will.

As long as it is possible to unlock all Heroes in HotS by just playing the game I am completely fine with the system. The one issue I would have is if my favourite characters from Blizzard will not be accessible immediately for me, but hey, I was planning on spending some money anyway just to show my support. The game looks like a ton of fun and I really want it to succeed.