Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoD Bring New Meaning To Expansion Redundancy

We have this problem of expansions making the previous content redundant/obsolete, okay so let's make them obsolete every patch by allowing people to jump straight into bed with the last boss of the latest raid at the launch of a new patch. This is not enough things aren't obsolete enough, we want things to be obsolete before even starting a new character. Boost to max level!

Let's see why this is so stupid:

- People who struggle to max level don't know how to play very well and/or don't have the time to learn
    - Let's give them more things they don't understand how to use
    - Let's force players into an environment they're not ready for
    - Let's not bother fixing the problem of players consuming more content than can be made
    - Let's exacerbate that
    - Why bother creating a system where high level players will want step down and play with newbies and mentor them
    - This is aimed at people who can't get to max level and thus Cataclysms lower level overhaul is deemed redundant to the most extreme
    - People totally won't boost to max level and take not knowing what you're doing to a new level
    - It's not like it's already a problem where droves of people turn up to raids as thick as a brick on game play mechanics
    - Only high level players will benefit from this
    - Returning/New players will be benched till they wise up
    - Before rage quitting at the snobbery they will cause a lot frustration to PuGs

What should have been done?

How about actually give incentive to players to take a break from 'end game' and play with their friends who only want to spend time with them and as a byproduct eventually bring them to 'end game' prepared out of the journey. The problem has always been that the new player arrives and no one helps them because they're too busy not falling behind on progress, so the new player is alone because WoW leveling is a solo experience no dynamic or public quests here, the leveling dungeons are full of elitist pricks power leveling their alts in the most inefficient manner and the new player has yet to meet anyone to make this 'journey' worth while.

They have brought new meaning to redundancy and systems failure. It didn't quite hit me at first, but after thinking about it, I'm pretty astonished with the decision they made.
    Last edited by peedei; 2013-11-09 at 09:13 AM.

My only concern is the instant 90 being for ANYBODY. A 12 year old fresh out of RuneScape can get a copy of WoW for Christmas with MoP and WoD and be the same level I am by the 26th.

If I could change it, I'd make it a level 90 for anybody who already has a 90, or for RAFs who buy WoD.

Deleted
    I really, really don't get how people should learn their class < level 90. Have you levelled a character at all, recently? You can literally level any character using only their main attack.

Also, you really think the "noob" problem is recent? Lol... I remember umpteen UBRS run with rogues wearing intellect leather because "it had more stats". I remember warlocks actually not having "ritual of summoning" because they never bothered to learn it. Petless hunters? By the dozen. Melee hunters? Hell, I had one in Karazhan.

Please, take out your rose tinted glasses. They are so '80ies.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymalkin View Post
    I really, really don't get how people should learn their class < level 90. Have you levelled a character at all, recently? You can literally level any character using only their main attack.

Also, you really think the "noob" problem is recent? Lol... I remember umpteen UBRS run with rogues wearing intellect leather because "it had more stats". I remember warlocks actually not having "ritual of summoning" because they never bothered to learn it. Petless hunters? By the dozen. Melee hunters? Hell, I had one in Karazhan.

Please, take out your rose tinted glasses. They are so '80ies.
    So let's make it worse right. Humbugged said it how it is, there will be no barrier for any fool to be max level with literally no clue not even leveling standards of understanding how to play, they will be learning what buffs are in the raid. You fail to see that this only truely benefits existing experienced players who want to skip content and makes things infinitely worse for returning or new players.

Yeah we know that we already have plenty of fools at max level, this now guarantees every fool to be at max level. Digest that for a second, every one and their dog will now have a max level character, those who really shouldn't will now have it. Instead of providing the proper solution of creating environments that nurtures these players into better team players with a richer understanding of game play so they can reach end game, they literally try and jump the shark.

This isn't end times, but the hilarity is about to explode with a new "dumbest PuG ever" compilation hitting a youtube near you. Oh wait the majority of players used PuG features like LFR/D seems like this experience will degrade further. Not like anyone wanted to make it a better experience or anything.
    Last edited by peedei; 2013-11-09 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peedei View Post
    Yeah we know that we already have plenty of fools at max level, this now guarantees every fool to be at max level. Digest that for a second, every one and their dog will now have a max level character, those who really shouldn't will now have it. Instead of providing the proper solution of creating environments that nurtures these players into better team players with a richer understanding of game play so they can reach end game, they literally try and jump the shark.
    Nope. They go to 90, max level is 100. As Blizz have said many times, a lot of players don't make it past level 10. Some of these new boys and girls won't get to 100.

Even so...

They don't have to worry about gearing - new Blizz Auto Gear will do it for them, no gems, hardly any enchants.

Blizz are clamping down on 'button bloat' so they'll end up with a couple of relevant things to press.

How could they mess up?

You might guess - I'm in the "you're dumbing it down how fa?" group at the mo, but will bide my time, by the expansion and give it a fair shout. I remember when they took defence off gear and simplified hit stats and then went on to ignore resistance gear. Guess we'll have to see what these changes bring.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by EntropyJim View Post
    Nope. They go to 90, max level is 100. As Blizz have said many times, a lot of players don't make it past level 10. Some of these new boys and girls won't get to 100.

Even so...

They don't have to worry about gearing - new Blizz Auto Gear will do it for them, no gems, hardly any enchants.

Blizz are clamping down on 'button bloat' so they'll end up with a couple of relevant things to press.

How could they mess up?

You might guess - I'm in the "you're dumbing it down how fa?" group at the mo, but will bide my time, by the expansion and give it a fair shout. I remember when they took defence off gear and simplified hit stats and then went on to ignore resistance gear. Guess we'll have to see what these changes bring.

J.
    Putting them straight at end game is not going to make their experience any better, the game is the same from 1-max, you kill stuff to get loot, you get loot to kill bigger stuff. If that turns them off then end game has nothing new for them. Maybe they don't like tab target combat, or that Blizzard has ignored to implement modern well received systems design such as public quests, auto attack removal, dynamic partying, player controlled dodging and blocking, removal of open world animosity and pointless intercompetition for quest objects etc etc etc

The starting experience sets up WoW:

- People can steal your quest objectives and monster kills
    - Every person you meet you must establish social connections before being able to party
    - You have no control of your characters survival other than doing more damage
    - To do more damage you must get better gear and so you do not quite function till then
    - There aren't many unique attack animations, your character alone is not visually interesting to play with
    - You won't be getting into a raid till you've done the bread and butter that supposedly turned them off to begin with

End game you are distracted from the lack of visual engagement:

- Have to nail your rotation to be optimal (damage/healing/threat meters)
    - Make sure you're moving along with the boss
    - Avoid/engage Boss mechanics
    - You do NOT notice how repetitive your characters animation/visuals are as you are distracted

Low level there are no distractions from lack of visual engagement:

- Bosses/normal mobs do not move
    - Things die very fast
    - There are no mechanics
    - You DO notice how repetitive your characters animation/visuals are as you are not distracted
    Last edited by peedei; 2013-11-10 at 12:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    My only concern is the instant 90 being for ANYBODY. A 12 year old fresh out of RuneScape can get a copy of WoW for Christmas with MoP and WoD and be the same level I am by the 26th.

If I could change it, I'd make it a level 90 for anybody who already has a 90, or for RAFs who buy WoD.
    Have you played the game recently? you learn NOTHING while leveling. Most classes can go through dungeons spamming 1 skill and top dps meters. Frost mage and blizzard comes to mind. I see frost mages doing 3-4k dps in hellfire, does this automatically mean they will do top dps by spamming blizzard at lvl 90 to? No it won't.

Arguably, they have jumped the gun here a bit by just giving you a level 90 instead of actually fixing leveling as a whole, but after thinking about it, I agree. I want them to focus more on end game content, the content that actually matters, and less time on lower level stuff which is only really there to annoy players.

Not only that but how many people actually level as the spec they want to play? If im leveling a class that has a healer or tank spec, i go that, fast queues means for faster leveling, when most of the time my alts are DPS at max level.

I respect blizzard for actually attempting to fix this problem. We don't need more heirlooms, nor perks to make us level faster. They just admit the leveling experience is subpar and offered what could be a temp fix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the fuck would I, someone who has held really high world rankings on WoL as a prot paladin in WOTLK and Cata and raid lead guilds to clearing all the content, want to mentor and hold the hand of someone new to the game? What's in it for me? I play for my enjoyment, not to teach. I will teach if I want to, not because someone thinks it's my duty. I've held hands before and I'll do it again, but because I WANT to, on my terms and conditions and when I choose to.

Besides, normally when you offer help (to those who ask, rather than just telling someone) they ignore you and call you an elitist and tell you to fuck off. Normally they do all 3, even if they do just 1 it puts you off helping so much... why would you ever bother repeating it?

Noone taught me, but I out of the kindness of my heart would happily teach someone else - but not because Blizzard thinks I should. I would do it as I have in the past because I absolutely love minmaxing a class in a game I enjoy immensely on the class I love playing.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Why the hell do people worry so much about how others level and how they play? Who the hell cares if someone instantly makes level 90? They can play the game and figure it out for themselves. If they are bad they are bad. How does it affect me (you)? They might get in your LFD? Kick them? They get in your LFR? Stop being a scrub and get a pug for normal raids (flex) and stop bitching. None of this really mattesr.

Free 90 for anyone who already has 11 90s imo.
    Stop slacking you casuals. /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry OP, they made the game easier for everyone, including you. Now you can catch up to the rest of us =D

Seriously though, go play something single player if other people piss you off this much, you'll be doing us, them and ultimately yourself a favor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Free 90 for anyone who already has 11 90s imo.
    Stop slacking you casuals. /s
    Hey, I got bored at 9. And then GTA5 happened. And then BF4 happened. MMMKAY??? lol

-OP-
    Implying you learn how to play this game while leveling. It's not exactly a secret that you don't.

One other reason the automatic 90 is important: it can bring in new people.

If you think there are vast numbers of people ready to start playing World of Warcraft today who have the patience to get all of the previous expansions and level up, you're crazy.

Op, i'd aggre with you exept for one thing , how many _NEW_ trully new, never played an mmo in their life new players do you think WoW is getting at this point? and even if they are, it won't (shouldn't) affect you and your guild in the very slightest. If you don't have a guild tho, further discussion is kinda moot since you're talking from a subjective point of "omg all theese noobs are going to ruin my pugs" ....

This is a great feature for old timers who get nagged back into WoW by their friends or people who are interested in another class but are absolutly REVOLTED by the prospect of leveling, anything else is kinda irelevant.

Imagine if wow never increased the level cap and everything after vanilla was tuned to lvl 60ish ^^

10+ Year Old Account

- People who struggle to max level don't know how to play very well and/or don't have the time to learn
    - Let's give them more things they don't understand how to use
    - Let's force players into an environment they're not ready for
    - Let's not bother fixing the problem of players consuming more content than can be made
    - Let's exacerbate that
    - Why bother creating a system where high level players will want step down and play with newbies and mentor them
    - This is aimed at people who can't get to max level and thus Cataclysms lower level overhaul is deemed redundant to the most extreme
    - People totally won't boost to max level and take not knowing what you're doing to a new level
    - It's not like it's already a problem where droves of people turn up to raids as thick as a brick on game play mechanics
    - Only high level players will benefit from this
    - Returning/New players will be benched till they wise up
    - Before rage quitting at the snobbery they will cause a lot frustration to PuGs
    You're making this sound like this is forced unto players, but, you know, it is kind of optional. You're also making a lot of points that are already existent in the game. Take "before rage quitting at the snobbery, they will cause a lot of frustration to PuGs". This is already existent with players that don't know how to play their class/ fill their roll in a PuG group. Then "Returning/ New players will be benched till they wise up". Another point that's valid very much within the raiding scene. If a player, whether they be new, returning, or current, if they don't play well and learn their class, they will be benched.

Also, you're saying like that this will happen with all players that get the 90 'boost' after buying. The fact is, some people will actually learn their class whilst leveling, or just open up the Google search when they hit max level and look their class up. You can't just make assumptions that everyone will simply just jump into 90, and then reach 100, and just do nothing about learning their class.

Fantastic Signature made by Maybenotquiteasheavy

I agree that there should be some restriction on it. A fresh player who just started WoW for the first time shouldn't be able to skip to 90. Maybe account that have had a certain amount of activation days (idk 6 months or so) Or a certain date they were created will be able to do this. Kind of like the SoR.

Keep in mind, alot of players won't even get this option, as most new players aren't going to buy MoP and then WoD just to use this feature, before they even see if they like the game to begin with. Also blizzard said that the pre-WoD event is going to slowly introduce skills similar to how DK's experience does it. Also they still have to level for 10 levels before it even affects you, and that is plenty of time to learn a class imo.

Deleted
    I'm sure I read that they're putting in introductory quests for 90 boosted chars to help learn the class. Everything announced seems quite oriented towards encouraging social gaming.

I'm sorry guys, but this game isn't rocket science. Anyone who get their char from 90->100 will be fully prepared to run HC's and LFR