Thread: perfect pixel

perfect pixel

Is there any way to get perfect pixels on blizzards standard damage font?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    As it turns out, the only thing you can do with the 3D-positioned damage text font is change the font. IIRC, you just have to assign a path to a font to the DAMAGE_TEXT_FONT global.

What IS perfect pixel anyway? I know Elvui asks me about it whenever I set it up and I always click yes because it sounds appealing...but never really understood what it was.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelkath View Post
    What IS perfect pixel anyway? I know Elvui asks me about it whenever I set it up and I always click yes because it sounds appealing...but never really understood what it was.
    From what i remember, it basically makes sure that 1 pixel ingame = 1 pixel on your monitor. When the game is scaled up to your monitors resolution, things can become more then 1 pixel, making them blurry and out of place. I could be wrong though

"Pixel Perfect" is just ElvUI's name for having 1-pixel borders on frames instead of 3-pixel borders. It doesn't extend out of that context, really.

I think the OP is talking about making the floating damage font less pixelated.

Quote Originally Posted by pnutbutter View Post
    "Pixel Perfect" is just ElvUI's name for having 1-pixel borders on frames instead of 3-pixel borders. It doesn't extend out of that context, really.

I think the OP is talking about making the floating damage font less pixelated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    From what i remember, it basically makes sure that 1 pixel ingame = 1 pixel on your monitor. When the game is scaled up to your monitors resolution, things can become more then 1 pixel, making them blurry and out of place. I could be wrong though
    Ok I get it now. That would be nice if we could fix the floating damage like that...it looks really crappy no matter the font because when you get a crit (Note: I'm a destro lock) it does look really low-res.

This is what im refering to. as you can see on the dmg font its quite choppy and not smooth in any way.

what i want is to smoothen it out

http://s.cdn.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw56761.jpg
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2013-11-10 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    This is what im refering to. as you can see on the dmg font its quite choppy and not smooth in any way.

what i want is to smoothen it out
    That combat log is pretty "wild"

That combat log is pretty "wild"
    haha well just grabbed a pic from google. not actually mine

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the technical explanation, as I understand it, is that the game has a maximum font size beyond which the renderer appears to just do a raster scale on the result of rendering the font at the maximum size. (It's that, or there's something else altogether happening in the C-code side where the text is rendered, rasterized it and then scaled it as a sprite or the texture of a plane that positions it in 3D space. I don't know, for sure.)

If it's the former: the default size for the floating damage text is close to the maximum already when it is modified by the game to be smaller for white attacks and larger for crits. Stacking the two together often doesn't end well. Further, there's some nasty interaction between UI scale and very-high-resolution displays and the font size for the floating damage text.

The only thing you can do is change what font it uses.

Indeed, the scaling as a raster image is why it looks so bad.
    Unfortunately there seems to be no means of doing anything about that.
    A solution for the size on larger resolutions was brought up in another thread, by using a pre-shrunk font.

i like the "blown out" font.
    gives more oomph when i crit. like "boom, just critted so hard the numbers exploded"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dalch View Post
    i like the "blown out" font.
    gives more oomph when i crit. like "boom, just critted so hard the numbers exploded"
    That's a very funny way to look at it. I like it.