Vitamix v. Blendtec. Which to get?

Hello friends,

I'm strongly considering purchasing a high end blender. My current one just can't handle my frozen vegetables and my smoothies turn out like broccoli soup. Costco has a Blendtec on sale for $310 before taxes with an 8 year warranty. Reconditioned Vitamixes go for $300 with a 5-year warranty. On paper the Blendtec seems like a better deal, but from what I've seen I think I like the Vitamix a little better.

Literally every article I've read has said that both are fantastic products and you really can't go wrong with either one. But I do want to get the best deal for my money. Fortunately Costco has a great return policy so if there's anything I don't like I can return it within 90 days.

Any insight from owners?

Great return policy, you say?

Be the d-bag. Buy both, see which you like better, return the other.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Unfortunately Costco's Vitamixes only come in the SUPER BUNDLE, which is $200 more than the Blendtec. So the generous return policy effectively only applies to the Blendtec. And I don't like being the d-bag. That's not a nice person to be.

Then I'd go with the Blendtec. If you buy just that one and it doesn't do what you want, you can return it and you're not really being the d-bag.

I can't see $300 for a blender being worth it unless it's for a restaurant or something like that.

If you make soup, go with a vitamix. It gets hot enough to actually serve hot soup. It is the only blender series to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, screw costco, go buy it from bed bath and beyond and get a 20% coupon

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    I can't see $300 for a blender being worth it unless it's for a restaurant or something like that.
    It's worth it, if it's not out of your price range, and you intend to keep up with whatever you're doing so it has a permanent space on the counter.

At home, I just use a food processor and a stick blender. It's not as good as a real standup blender for certain tasks, but it covers my needs. If my needs were different, I'd totally pop out the $$$ for a real blender.

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateSmiley View Post
    If you make soup, go with a vitamix. It gets hot enough to actually serve hot soup. It is the only blender series to do so.

Blendtec also makes soup. And Costco is a great company that treats their workers well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    They're well made, (mostly) made in the USA, they have great customer satisfaction, and they're super versatile. I've also given up meat recently, so the smoothies are an easy way to get in some extra protein or a quick meal.

yes - they both are great.

Bottom line - Blendtec if you like high-tech auto-programs or Vitamix if you prefer simple complete control. This is hands down the best comparison article: gotgreensrevolution.com/Vitamix-versus-blendtec-review.html

heck buy them both and keep the one you prefer

What does a 300$ blender do that a 50$ blender cant do? It's blades on a rotor, get a cheap one.

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    What does a 300$ blender do that a 50$ blender cant do? It's blades on a rotor, get a cheap one.
    It can make hot soup, grind grains into flour, make nut milks, make nut butters, can break cell walls. Most importantly, they can do all this everyday without failing - it is not uncommon to see an operational 20+ year old Vitamix - also, they have a 7-year warranty.

Of course if you don't need or want all that then get a cheap one.

Deleted
    I use Vitamix every day. Can't remember which model exactly, pro series 300, 400 or 500, one of them.

I love it. I'd recommend it, but I haven't used Blendtec so I can't really make a comparison.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    I'm pretty sure some of the junk blended in these videos would destroy a $50 blender: http://www.willitblend.com

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateSmiley View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sneezeburger View Post
    Blendtec also makes soup. And Costco is a great company that treats their workers well.

When I started to shop on my own this quickly became very important to me. Costco is a GREAT place to work for and treats their workers like people, and not like disposable, worthless ants.

If you can, it's worth going out of your way to support them. I worked a winter job at Bed Bath and Beyond and while I enjoyed it, nothing comes close to how well Costco workers are treated.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I use Vitamix every day. Can't remember which model exactly, pro series 300, 400 or 500, one of them.

I love it. I'd recommend it, but I haven't used Blendtec so I can't really make a comparison.
    From what I've seen the Vitamix would work better for me, but I'm not sure if I want to give up three years warranty coverage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneezeburger View Post
    From what I've seen the Vitamix would work better for me, but I'm not sure if I want to give up three years warranty coverage.
    Three years is a very long time in Warranty years, and a lot can happen, and these companies tend to make good on their warranties.

Honestly, for me, that's absolutely worth it, and the tipping point.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature