Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

No more realm first achievements in WoD

So last night, after the Q&A panel there were some answers from twitter being answered and one of them was about how they were going to manage the realm first achievements in WoD with all the cross realm/connected realms going on. And the answer was: "We are not planning to have those realm first achievements". The reasoning behind this was that "those achievements are only for a few people in the world" and they "don't really feel like they should have achievements that do strange things to the game".

I'm not sure what they mean by "strange" things. Also I wonder if this means that realm first raid achievements will be gone in WoD.

I'm very disappointed in this. How do other people feel about it? I know there was a thread on here not too long ago about people wanting them gone, but I don't really get why they would remove them. They are not a lot of work to put in and I think a lot of people actually do enjoy the race for them. Ofcourse there will still be plenty of people actually racing for world/realm first level 100 and professions, but without the FoS that announces it realm wide it kinda of takes the "achievement" away from it.

How would you determine Realm First for connected realms? If someone from Bloodscalp got it first, then nobody from Boulderfist could get it? Or maybe someone from both Bloodscalp and Boulderfist could get it, despite being connected.

Any way you look at it, it causes more problems than it solves (which really means it solves nothing from existing, it only causes problems)

Racing to max level by playing non-stop in a mad, sleepless rush is not how Blizzard intend the game to be played. People who go for these achievements skip over many things and don't bother to enjoy the game itself, they don't even experience it properly.

It's not healthy for the game OR the people doing the achievements.

Deleted
    I find it hard to believe that anyone cares so much about it that they will quit. I always wanted to try get one but I have never been arsed to try Now I don't have to feel that need anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Racing to max level by playing non-stop in a mad, sleepless rush is not how Blizzard intend the game to be played. People who go for these achievements skip over many things and don't bother to enjoy the game itself, they don't even experience it properly.

And this right here means:

/thread

That's a shame.

I really don't see how it is mad. 85-90 took me around 10 hours, which is really not a big deal. And to me rushing to the level cap is a fantastic experience.

realm first achievements are often stupid anyway, it's usually the guys who played beta leveled loads of times worked out fastest leveling routes then stay up and don't sleep until they hit max level.

or it might be realm first least played spec on that server, for example i was realm 17th lvl 90, but someone else beat me to 90 of my class, yet a druid got realm first for being like the 41st level 90, is a druid really that hard to play? no simply no-one else was leveling a druid....here's a feat of strength because all other druids were in bed huge gzzz.

same story for professions, oh wow this guy decided to spend the 20 minutes required reaching lvl 600 tailoring by buying some cloth off the AH, have a feat for such an amazing thing people will spend 20 minutes on an alt getting 600 as well.

Ahhh, I can relax with the start of the expansion now. I can lazily take my time into starting all of the Garrisons on ALL of my toons <3 I tried to gun for Cooking during Cata, that whole queue time messed me up back then. Then Pandaria came out, scored Herbalism first. Was literally 2 minutes short of getting Alchemy. But I got Scribe first later on And it was one of the top 5 populated server Was so happy ^_^

I have 4 of these, (80 Gnome/Warrior, 85 Warrior, 90 Warrior) and I'm perfectly fine with them being a legacy of the past.
    I've been playing this game since December 1st 2004 and the only time I've actually enjoyed the leveling up process of an expansion was in The Burning Crusade when I didn't have any incentive to plow through everything.

Deleted
    You are not forced to race for realm first or level as fast as possible because it's just an achievement that gives nothing and it's mostly for people that like to race and be first at something. Removing those achievement neither solves anything because there will still be some people that will try to get to 100 asap.
    Well if you want to experience it properly you would have to read every single quest, book you find etc. and I believe only minority do this. Most people are trying to find the quickest way to get to max level because they simply don't like to quest and are constantly running dungeons or grinding some mobs so by removing realm firsts they solves nothing. It won't suddenly force people to watch every single cinematic, read quest or listen to what npc is saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    How would you determine Realm First for connected realms? If someone from Bloodscalp got it first, then nobody from Boulderfist could get it? Or maybe someone from both Bloodscalp and Boulderfist could get it, despite being connected.
    Most of the currently connected realm still have much lesser population that many high populated realms so I don't see any problem with having realm first per group of connected realms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    realm first achievements are often stupid anyway, it's usually the guys who played beta leveled loads of times worked out fastest leveling routes then stay up and don't sleep until they hit max level.
    If you want to be best at something you have to spend time preparing no matter what it is.

Personally removing realm firsts solves nothing. People that want to enjoy content will enjoy it. Not everybody likes questing and these people will try to find a quickest way to get to the max level. Also reasoning of blizzard is quite amusing, let me quote "those achievements are only for a few people in the world" well then we should also remove achievements for the first rank gladiators (Cataclysmic Gladiator, Brutal Gladiator etc.) because those achievements are only for a few people in the world right?
    If anybody is curious, no I don't have any realm first.
    Last edited by mmocab7cdab390; 2013-11-11 at 02:47 AM.

Completely agree. However, removing the achievements is not going to stop people racing to the level cap.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

as a realm first druid for mop I am sad to see this go, I really enjoyed the race it was stacks of fun
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

We're confident the .01% left will be thrilled to attend a post-apocalyptic BlizzCon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awww. I kinda wanted to go for the blacksmithing one again. A pity, but at the same time I'm kinda relieved. A little less tempting to plow through certain professions or levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

1. People will still rush. There will still be 5 minutes of fame as a result. Why not get an FoS for your accomplishment?
    2. Most candidates for realm first (and all for world first) will have played at least some beta or looked up some things on the content. This means they've already experienced the content
    3. People have sleepless rush's for all sorts of game content. Achievement or no, if I am able to I might aim this time around. There is a sense of personal accomplishment, and it's fun to compete. Last time I was first to 87 on server (by over 10 mins before going to bed), but unfortunately had an interview first thing in the morning so had to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

This, and also the fact that your efforts can be derailed by server instability issues that can occur, especially on high pop servers. At the launch of Mop, Alliance got stuck on the quest involving the Gyrochopters and exploding the ships. The quest simply wouldn't complete, and stack of people ended up being at the same place at one of the boarts unable to progress until it crashed the server.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

A very lazy decision. I like the Realm First races and have gotten a class FoS already. I will miss them.

Deleted

I did it without achievments in BC and will do it without achievments in WoD.

Deleted

1000s of people will do it anyway, i do not care of the achiev but i still played Wotlk 70 - 80 non-stop, Cata 80 - 85 with 2 hours sleep break and MoP 85 - 90 nonstop, realm 3rd druid 3 times now :P

Realm firsts are usually taken within 10 hours, some up to 15. It's not that crazy as you make it sound.