Poll: How do you feel about the Lone Wolf talent?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Always wanted to play a petless ranger class in WoW, it'll be a nice change to take this talent.

Deleted
    This is THE change that will keep me playing!
    Been wanting this for years! Thanks Blizzard!

I just wonder if they're going to do anything to accommodate the loss of utility from not having a pet, as many people have already pointed out. How will Spirit Bond work? The core mechanic and story behind the ability itself will be nullified by the fact that you don't even have a pet out at all, and there's lots of other talents that will be affected. Plus there's Master's Call and things like that that will e lost. Warlocks have had the abiltiy to play petless for a while so I wonder what utility they maintained.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should just make lone wolf baseline for marks and surv and come up with a different third talent for the tier. Just make the Damage increase close to what the pet would provide. Not that I have any intention of not using a pet, I love my pet and playing the hunter just wouldn't feel right to me without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    Warlocks have had the abiltiy to play petless for a while so I wonder what utility they maintained.
    Locks had the ability to sacrifice their pet for a dmg buff that was maintained as long as they didn't re summons one. As soon as they did, the buff was lost. I dont think this will work that way, so yes, there will have to be some re-tooling of abilities and talents in order for this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    I think they should just make lone wolf baseline for marks and surv and come up with a different third talent for the tier.
    And then introduce a talent for people who do want a pet?

I don't really mind, more choice is more choice. Only option for me in the lvl 100 tier is Bola Shot, but that one sounds awesome to have.
    Doubt [With or Without You] will make it live in its current form though. Blizzard was pretty clear on that talents shouldn't be passive damage increases, which is pretty much what this talent is.
    Maybe they'll find another way to let some hunters run around without pet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    I find it funny that some players voted "I hate it"
    This is not forced on you, you could easily pick other talents, or if you're BM - any of the three and still have a pet.
    Don't force your opinion on others, I would like to get rid of that little fucker sometimes, and I'm glad Blizz is (probably) going to give us such option.
    They're worried that raid leaders are going to force the petless playstyle on them, or it will have higher damage than say pet + snipe and become the "Cookie cutter" way to play. Also there's the problem that Bola shot and snipe seem to have some pretty significant drawbacks to them. I'm sure all 3 will be viable and raid worthy by launch, but the concerns are valid ones.

I like the idea for sure, though I'm more interested in what their design intent for that tier in general is. Currently the intent as I see it is:
    1) Bola Shot is intended to be a clear winner for entirely cleave fights (maybe AoE in general depending on tuning)
    2) Snipe being a clear winner for entirely single-target fights, especially with low movement. If all the talents did the same single-target DPS then I don't know why you would ever take Snipe.
    3) With or Without You being good at AoE, good at single-target, but beating neither of the other talents in their respective niches unless there are pet bugs. Depending on tuning in comparison to Bola Shot, it could just take the full AoE niche (consistently 4+ targets).

So, for example, you would pick Bola Shot for Fallen Protectors, Snipe for Malkorok, and With or Without You on... Norushen? I view With or Without You as being very sensitive to the tuning of Bola Shot to decide whether it's an AoE-niche talent or just a TotH-style talent that's usually slightly inferior but is easier to use.
    Last edited by HonneurVilified; 2013-11-13 at 06:48 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    And then introduce a talent for people who do want a pet?
    No, the way I read the talent was you only get the 30% buff if you have your pet dismissed. So if a marks hunter wants the pet he just summons him and the buff vanishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    No, the way I read the talent was you only get the 30% buff if you have your pet dismissed. So if a marks hunter wants the pet he just summons him and the buff vanishes.
    That's how I read it too. Does mean that it's a useless talent for any MM/SV Hunter who wants to use a pet. But it's way too early to comment on the talent itself, can only talk about the idea right now. The idea is nice, but I don't think a talent is the right way to do it.

Warlocks and Grimoire of sacrifice say hello. It seems good now, but in the end will just be nerfed to nothing. Hunters and Warlocks will always be Pet Class's in the end to blizzard developers. My advice. enjoy it while ya can!!!

Deleted
    Love it.

/10chars

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    That's how I read it too. Does mean that it's a useless talent for any MM/SV Hunter who wants to use a pet. But it's way too early to comment on the talent itself, can only talk about the idea right now. The idea is nice, but I don't think a talent is the right way to do it.
    I agree, that's why I said just make it baseline like how titans grip and SMF works for fury warriors, you get the bonuses based on which weapons you have equipped. Not a talent just an ability.
    Last edited by Amsden; 2013-11-13 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that people are excited to finally play a ranger in WoW but to me it felt like Blizz is finally giving up on fixing the plethora of bugs we have with pets. Hunters were/always will be a pet class. I think the new talent is great and I will definitely go back to my favorite spec MM, but I still feel like we need a ton of work done on our pets. Which are presently still suffering from the age old pathing issues as well as other bugs, not to mention that with all the nerfing my pets now cant tank at all. I don't know what they did but on my Warlock, my voidwalker hardly gets a dent fighting elites. On my hunter I have to keep spamming heal and my pet will still get wrecked. Meh didn't want to sound like I'm venting but I feel like this is a sign they are trying to get us away from using pets. They know the reaction to GoS with Warlocks, when it was introduced hardly any Warlock used the other two options. I feel like this will funnel the vast majority of hunters into being pet less. Which again, goes against the original design of the class.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    It sounds cool, but for me. Half the reason I play hunters is for the pet. So I will not be using it. In my SV I will most likely take bola shot. I like the way its looking. I do however like the BM half of WoWO. It will just be great having a super pet . Might give Snipe a try with my MM spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a warlock, I am going to tell you, its going to be nerfed to do less damage than with a pet with the other talents. Its the same as grimore of sacrifice... and you are a "pet class" just like us.

Contrary to belief no "spec" does more damage without the pet... sym wise. Destro, the one that everyone uses now with gosac, technically, you should do 1-2k more with a pet, but its so miniscule everyone just sacs the pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    I get that people are excited to finally play a ranger in WoW but to me it felt like Blizz is finally giving up on fixing the plethora of bugs we have with pets. Hunters were/always will be a pet class. I think the new talent is great and I will definitely go back to my favorite spec MM, but I still feel like we need a ton of work done on our pets. Which are presently still suffering from the age old pathing issues as well as other bugs, not to mention that with all the nerfing my pets now cant tank at all. I don't know what they did but on my Warlock, my voidwalker hardly gets a dent fighting elites. On my hunter I have to keep spamming heal and my pet will still get wrecked. Meh didn't want to sound like I'm venting but I feel like this is a sign they are trying to get us away from using pets. They know the reaction to GoS with Warlocks, when it was introduced hardly any Warlock used the other two options. I feel like this will funnel the vast majority of hunters into being pet less. Which again, goes against the original design of the class.

unless you dont have much gear pets get hit hard but they keep up just fine if you have some gear and are using your pets cower etc. :/
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    As a warlock, I am going to tell you, its going to be nerfed to do less damage than with a pet with the other talents. Its the same as grimore of sacrifice... and you are a "pet class" just like us.

Contrary to belief no "spec" does more damage without the pet... sym wise. Destro, the one that everyone uses now with gosac, technically, you should do 1-2k more with a pet, but its so miniscule everyone just sacs the pet.
    Its not exactly because of "pet class." Blizzards intention is to make active talents a little better than passive ones so that people dont just play the easy way and use all passive talents. It probably will be slightly less than the others but I will still use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll never be able to give up my pets. It's just become to apart of the class for me. I'd feel lonely with out them. However, I understand this is how some people want to play the class. As long as they take care of us BM Hunters and we're not neglected to the ends of the world again I'm perfectly okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Madwolf View Post
    I'll never be able to give up my pets. It's just become to apart of the class for me. I'd feel lonely with out them. However, I understand this is how some people want to play the class. As long as they take care of us BM Hunters and we're not neglected to the ends of the world again I'm perfectly okay with it.
    This is what worries me as someone who prefers SV and MM to BM, yet still enjoys the pet aspect of the class. With this talent, they are basically saying "BM is the pet spec and the other specs are fine without a pet." I don't like that message at all. There are other ranged classes that don't have pets; if I wanted range with no pet, I would have rolled one of those classes instead. I fully understand that there are other options to choose, but my concern is if it because the "best" talent to choose for SV/MM at 100 and I'm "stuck" using it for min/max purposes. I won't be happy with that situation at all.