Batman: Arkham Knight

6 / 10

The storyline was decent and the fighting is always fun, but it was severely limited this time around. There weren't a lot of good fight setups; it was really either stealth kill them all easily or go in and melee them to death in a big pile. Almost no need for the environmental elements which was a little sad. And for some reason they forced 50% of this game to be in the Batmobile, so it was basically Twisted Metal. And I didn't like that at all because you couldn't even be on foot without tanks murdering you until you finished the main storyline. They removed the great elements from Arkham City (the best in the series) and created an overpolluted mess. It gets more fun once the main story is over with, but then it's just too little too late. Still decent game though, no bugs or anything and it's cool to be Batman.

Mighty Number 9 (Ps4 version)

As it stands its a 5 out of 10 but I am only like 20mins in. I am sure that score will change and I hope turning on Vsync (Yes Ps4 version has it lol) fix's the performance issues a bit.

Just bought it tonight for $20 new and it came with DLC,Art Book and Poster.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Valkyria Chronicles. 9/8/10 it loses .2 because its a war game with Japanese weird shit in it like pigs with wings.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Weekly update from me with a good and bad game.

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (Saturn) 8/10

While not as well known as Crash or Spyro were back then Croc is arguably in my top 5 of Platform games. Has simple but great level design, bonus design is decent, music is well done for the levels and represent the themes quite well in my opinion and the secret stages are some of the most fun I have ever had working towards. However couple of minor points would be the camera angle feels a bit stiff when rotating and the control scheme for turning Croc does feel a bit stiff as well. However a great platforming game nonetheless. Shame there was no more after Croc 2.

Overall an amazing platforming game but sadly the spotlight was shining more on Crash at the time and Spyro was on it's way.

And now the bad game.
    Dude, Legend of Gobbos is of of the GOAT platformers. So glad to see people enjoying it still to this day, I replayed it last year and even though the graphics are a tad dated, but forgivable due to it's cartoonish nature, the controls still felt great and the Puzzles were amazing.

Gex 3D is a great platformer as well if you haven't had the chance to try it.

Currently for me, Fallout 4 Far Harbor DLC. 7.5/10 Pretty solid DLC, loses a couple of points due to the annoyance of having to jump back and forth to the commonwealth before you get a few settlements up and going and the blandness of some quests i.e. Simple Fetch quests that require running clear across the island to do and collection quests with low droprates.

Otherwise great atmosphere, good characters and interesting dialogue. Nice to see new creatures as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Batman: Arkham Knight

6 / 10

The storyline was decent and the fighting is always fun, but it was severely limited this time around. There weren't a lot of good fight setups; it was really either stealth kill them all easily or go in and melee them to death in a big pile. Almost no need for the environmental elements which was a little sad. And for some reason they forced 50% of this game to be in the Batmobile, so it was basically Twisted Metal. And I didn't like that at all because you couldn't even be on foot without tanks murdering you until you finished the main storyline. They removed the great elements from Arkham City (the best in the series) and created an overpolluted mess. It gets more fun once the main story is over with, but then it's just too little too late. Still decent game though, no bugs or anything and it's cool to be Batman.
    My biggest gripe of Arkham Knight was there were literally no memorable Boss fights, or any Boss fights hand to hand at all. After fights like Ras and Deathstroke from previous games, I felt really disappointed that most boss battles were - Use batmobile to whittle down HP, Knock out with 1 punch in a QTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    My biggest gripe of Arkham Knight was there were literally no memorable Boss fights, or any Boss fights hand to hand at all. After fights like Ras and Deathstroke from previous games, I felt really disappointed that most boss battles were - Use batmobile to whittle down HP, Knock out with 1 punch in a QTE.
    That's so true. Like for example in Arkham City the Two-Face fight was a really difficult encounter. You had to stealth kill his minions and then catch him off guard for a beatdown several times to win. But then in Arkham Knight, Two-Face was shut down with one stealth takedown lol it was an embarrassment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls 3 (2016): 9/10

I replayed DS3 after a long hiatus from the game. The first time, I finished the game in 2 days after a burnout over the weekend of release with a 10 year old pc and 15 average fps. My rig is now powerful enough for 60 fps and I took the time to take it slowly and explore every nook and cranny.

I'm a very die hard Souls fan, I've played them all except Bloodborne (I WILL get a PS4 just for that eventually), and to be frank this game is both everything I ever wanted from the series and slightly disappointing due to some less than obvious flaws, those are unfortunately easily noticeable if you are a Souls fan.

The first Dark Souls, I felt like playing Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night for the first time again, 2 of my favorite games ever. It was such a bizarre nostalgic feeling that made me fall in love instantly. The item acquisition and exploration elements that are the complete opposite of the borefest you get by today's titles in which you have to explore, combined with its nature of inherent difficulty and overall design, made the game legendary.
    The second Dark Souls is very underrated in my opinion, especially the Scholar of the first Sin edition (I think I gave it a 8.5). People are saying it's not that great, and yes, the game disappoints if you were expecting the same level of genius of the first one, but if you are willing to overlook the obvious flaws, there's quite a great game hidden underneath it all.

The third one is more like the first one, with a lot of throwbacks for nostalgia points. The level design is overall excellent, the bosses, areas and enemies are memorable and tough-but-fair, there are interesting NPCs and lore, the animations are truly marvelous, the combat is sublime, the deaths have always been my own fault and not the game's, even the weapons are balanced, something that has never been the case in any Souls game. It does almost everything right is what I'm trying to say.

The thing is though, it left me with a kinda sour note when I finished it both times. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but seeing my total playtime, I realized what it is. I never felt the need to play it as much as the other 2 DS games. Why is that? I think it has to do with how linear it is. In the first DS, when you get to the Firelink Shrine, you are intended to go to the Undead Burg immediately yes, but you can also head to the Catacombs and get fucked by Nito or explore the New Londo Ruins (don't do that unless you're a veteran). Sure, they are intended for higher progressed characters, but you CAN do it if you want to. The game is completely open for the player to do what he wants and choose the lesser evil once he got a taste of each area. The second game is pretty much the same, I think it is even more open than the first one. And this is the main gripe I have with the third installment. The game basically says "yes, go there now, and then, go there, oh and here's a path for the next area". There are almost no options of non-linearity except in like 2 cases, there is zero backtracking to do things in older areas to unlock newer ones, and you don't really feel in control of how you play a Souls game. It's not a flaw, but it does take away from the marvel it could have been.

It felt more like a really great action rpg than a real Souls game is what I'm trying to say. If you are willing to overlook that however, the game is truly amazing with no exaggeration.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-02-11 at 10:13 AM.

FFXV. 6/10.

Sorry to say I've never been so disappointed by a mainline FF. Bought it without knowing much about it. Proved to be a mistake. Learned only afterward it's essentially salvaged vaporware.

Graphics and sound are excellent, per FF standards, but holy mackerel, so many glaring design flaws. I might have forgiven a bumpy transition to a more open world RPG, if that's what S-E was aiming for, but other studios have already done the genre so much better in recent years.

The first 60% or so is a combination of the most generic kill-and-fetch questing combined with a sports car equivalent of Desert Bus. Sadly by chapter 9 I just wanted to finish the game as quickly as I could and pick up something else.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    FFXV. 6/10.

Sorry to say I've never been so disappointed by a mainline FF. Bought it without knowing much about it. Proved to be a mistake. Learned only afterward it's essentially salvaged vaporware.

Graphics and sound are excellent, per FF standards, but holy mackerel, so many glaring design flaws. I might have forgiven a bumpy transition to a more open world RPG, if that's what S-E was aiming for, but other studios have already done the genre so much better in recent years.

The first 60% or so is a combination of the most generic kill-and-fetch questing combined with a sports car equivalent of Desert Bus. Sadly by chapter 9 I just wanted to finish the game as quickly as I could and pick up something else.
    You must have skipped 13 then lol. I am a huge Final Fantasy fan but have yet to pick up this game after the awful taste 13 left. The more user reviews I read the more I debate if I want to risk throwing away money again as well. Is the combat as bad in the full game as that carbuncle demo?

Bloodborne 7/10

I had never played a Dark/Demon souls game until this one a couple weeks ago. I had read about these games and thought to myself "oh come on, it can't be THAT hard". My god I found out the hard way how wrong I was.

I'm only 3 bosses in but so far its a very good game. I haven't felt this game of the year vibe at all from it by any means though. Graphics are great, the atmosphere is very creepy at times, combat is fun and responsive, but it still just feels like a generic hack and slash with the difficulty turned to hellish. Maybe I am not paying enough attention, but there also doesn't seem to be a lot of story to it. Also, the frustration level gets a little ridiculous at times. Spending an hour+ making progress just to start back at zero is far more of an annoyance than it is fun. Although I am sure that is personal preference. However, after having 20+ attempts on a boss and eventually downing it comes with a great feeling of accomplishment. That part I did enjoy a lot. It was all the annoyances from the "trash" enemies in between that got to me after a while.

I certainly recommend it if you're a masochist or want a real challenge and have an extremely good patience level. But if you're like me and play games more for the experience, story etc. and usually on easy to medium difficulty settings, this game is worth renting to give it a whirl. I just wouldn't recommend buying it. In my 25+ years of gaming from NES to now, it certainly is top of my list in difficulty.

Also, don't let this discourage anyone from buying Dark Souls or Demon Souls. From everyone I have spoken with, Bloodborne is far and away the most difficult of the From Software titles.
    Last edited by Alcomo; 2017-03-10 at 04:47 PM.
    When in doubt. Derp it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    You must have skipped 13 then lol. I am a huge Final Fantasy fan but have yet to pick up this game after the awful taste 13 left. The more user reviews I read the more I debate if I want to risk throwing away money again as well. Is the combat as bad in the full game as that carbuncle demo?

Bloodborne 7/10

I had never played a Dark/Demon souls game until this one a couple weeks ago. I had read about these games and thought to myself "oh come on, it can't be THAT hard". My god I found out the hard way how wrong I was.

I'm only 3 bosses in but so far its a very good game. I haven't felt this game of the year vibe at all from it by any means though. Graphics are great, the atmosphere is very creepy at times, combat is fun and responsive, but it still just feels like a generic hack and slash with the difficulty turned to hellish. Maybe I am not paying enough attention, but there also doesn't seem to be a lot of story to it. Also, the frustration level gets a little ridiculous at times. Spending an hour+ making progress just to start back at zero is far more of an annoyance than it is fun. Although I am sure that is personal preference. However, after having 20+ attempts on a boss and eventually downing it comes with a great feeling of accomplishment. That part I did enjoy a lot. It was all the annoyances from the "trash" enemies in between that got to me after a while.

I certainly recommend it if you're a masochist or want a real challenge and have an extremely good patience level. But if you're like me and play games more for the experience, story etc. and usually on easy to medium difficulty settings, this game is worth renting to give it a whirl. I just wouldn't recommend buying it. In my 25+ years of gaming from NES to now, it certainly is top of my list in difficulty.

Also, don't let this discourage anyone from buying Dark Souls or Demon Souls. From everyone I have spoken with, Bloodborne is far and away the most difficult of the From Software titles.
    Souls games are not everyone's cuppa tea but if you are willing to become a masochist for a bit, it will become one of your favorite series in games. All it needs is some tough love.

Also, everyone has gone through that stage you describe, once you get "in the zone" though it will become far easier. The biggest trick is to read enemies and get to know your weapon moveset at its 100%.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-03-10 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Inside: 10/10

Totally blew my fucking mind and left me crying in a corner, unsure of what just happened. All I know is that I experienced videogame perfection. If you haven't played it already, do yourself a favor.
    This 100%. It's the last game I played and I agree with all the points.

INSIDE 10/10
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Souls games are not everyone's cuppa tea but if you are willing to become a masochist for a bit, it will become one of your favorite series in games. All it needs is some tough love.

Also, everyone has gone through that stage you describe, once you get "in the zone" though it will become far easier. The biggest trick is to read enemies and get to know your weapon moveset at its 100%.
    I am definitely not giving up on it. Its a game I am finding myself getting frustrated with, putting down and then hours later getting the "just another try" feeling. I don't even think its so much how difficult it is and more so the annoyance of doing so well just to die to some stupid werewolf and then having to do all that work again. If it were just a short stretch I probably wouldn't care. But when it feels like an hour+ wasted 5 times over, its hard to keep going. I imagine finding all the shortcuts probably helps with that feeling of repeating the same long stretch of bad guys again. An example being after the cathedral when you go to old yharnam and you have to contend with the guy with the machine gun up on a tower while dealing with mobs. I worked my way down and killed everything along the way several times. Then I watched a video and saw that you could cut past a lot of it. I've only tried the Lone Survivor class and been using the threaded cane and blunderbuss the entire time so far.
    When in doubt. Derp it out.

I did play XIII but I'm one of the people who enjoyed it. I actually really liked that game's pace and combat. Even the story was better. The more I read now about XV's development, after the fact, the more I understand why it's so disjointed.

I don't know what the carbuncle demo is - you mean the tutorial? Yeah, it's a lot like that. Only with a party whose AI is set to "attack at random" and can't be changed. Hold square, press O when told to, win. Or just hold O and use lots of potions, win. Bosses are the worst. Hold square/O uselessly until Deus Ex Machina happens, then resume holding square/O, win. It feels like I may as well just watch cutscenes. Very unsatisfying.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just 100% rise of the tomb raider. The only other game I've 100% was the original tomb raider (reboot). I'd have preordered this game but they pulled all that exclusive shit and I promised not to buy it. I rented this through a rental company so I succeeded, but the games a 9.5/10 for me so I may buy it cheap just to support a quality game. For me it's a vastly superior uncharted with much better longevity. A great experience.

Life Is Strange - 9/10

Not gonna lie i cried like a little girl during several parts of this game, and a game that can do that to me doesn't happen often. Absolutely loved the game for how it forced you to make tough decisions over and over again, and each one of those decisions having noticeable consequences was great. I've been a major fan of time traveling and it's consequences in videogames ever since Bioshock, so having that in the game made it even more awesome for me.

The only reason the game isn't a 10/10 for me is those sneaking sections. They only lasted a few minutes tops, but it didn't really feel like they belonged in the game, so it's a 9/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paragon - 7.5/10 I find it fun but repetitive.

Final fantasy 15 I sent back after 90 minutes so wouldn't be fair to rate it. I hated it though one of the worst introductions to ANY game but particularly to a final fantasy game.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucerian View Post
    I did play XIII but I'm one of the people who enjoyed it. I actually really liked that game's pace and combat. Even the story was better. The more I read now about XV's development, after the fact, the more I understand why it's so disjointed.
    Then we're 2, I liked XIII and XIII-2 was even better. XIII-3 was decent but it no longer really felt like an FF title.

As for XV I haven't tried it and I'm certainly not buying a new console to get it either, if it's ever released on PC I might give it a try but I'm not really feeling it from what I've seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nioh - 8.5/10

I think your love for Dark Souls/Bloodborne will greatly influence how much you enjoy this game. As an action RPG I think the game is quite excellent. The abilities your character has are fun and add a lot of complexity. The Diablo style loot system mixes things up and presents some exciting moments when you get a really nicely itemized weapon. The mission structure, while somewhat odd, ultimately works well for the game.

The game suffers when you compare it directly the Dark Souls though. The enemy AI is pretty bad, which is why I think anyone who says the game has better combat that Bloodborne or Dark Souls isn't really paying attention. Enemies are extremely passive and have very little tracking, making it very easy to outright avoid their attacks. In addition, the enemy variety is severely lacking. By the time you've beaten 60% of the game you've seen the vast majority of the enemies. Even the harder enemies become easy when you've fought them 20+ times. The bosses themselves are very easily exploited and I don't even mean in the sense of using unintentional mechanics the devs didn't think of, I mean shit like sticking to an enemies left side. Stuff like that. Now, Dark Souls is certainly guilty of this, but I found many bosses in Nioh could be completely dominated by being hyper aggressive and just running away when they decide to retaliate. It feels like many bosses are missing a move or two to cover their exploitable weaknesses which is disappointing because there are some pretty interesting boss designs in this game. The level design and environmental variety is also pretty lacking in comparison to From Software's games.

Difficulty is also kinda a mixed bag. I'd personally say that the game is quite easy although from what I've read from other people's experiences I feel I may be in the minority on this one. I find Nioh far harder to get hit by anything, but when you do actually get hit you could very well be killed outright. But, if you do get hit and manage to survive then you're basically safe. Due to the non-aggressive nature of the enemies, after they hit you they will often just let you heal right back up. This means that there's never a sense of tension like in Dark Souls when you have to dodge around and wait for an opening to heal. In Nioh you can heal literally right in front of them after a combo and they won't do shit.

As for the story, I really liked it. It was cheesy as fuck and didn't make sense at points, but I thought it was dope. I don't want to sound too negative on this game, because I definitely enjoyed it, but I've also heard a lot of people say that it's better than Dark Souls which is an absolute joke.

Dark Souls 3- 7.5/10 not as good as the first 2.

Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ - 9.5/10 Game is always fun, mechanics are tight, super deep strategy once you figure out what the hell is going on

From everyone I have spoken with, Bloodborne is far and away the most difficult of the From Software titles.
    That's what happens when you don't make it available on proper hardware and you have the game dipping below 30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    That's what happens when you don't make it available on proper hardware and you have the game dipping below 30
    It will be availabe for PC within a year. Sony heard our cries.