15+ Year Old Account

AMD vs Intel CPU question

I understand that Intel it just a better CPU, especially in multitasking. But for just playing Mmo's, are the AMD's that bad? I want to buy gaming rig and was curious which to go with. It will be for only playing old and new Mmo's for the next two or three years and saving a little cash would be nice if the performance between them for Mmo's isn't that big a deal.

Thanks
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Deleted
    MMOs strongly favour the single core oomph what Intel has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    I understand that Intel it just a better CPU, especially in multitasking. But for just playing Mmo's, are the AMD's that bad? I want to buy gaming rig and was curious which to go with. It will be for only playing old and new Mmo's for the next two or three years and saving a little cash would be nice if the performance between them for Mmo's isn't that big a deal.

Thanks
    Nobody knows what will happen three years down the line with regards to game utilization of hardware. Star Citizen will support Mantle; what that ultimately means for the player, nobody actually knows (I'm guessing the developer probably knows something about it but is under NDA). It might make AMD processors the new hottest thing, it might not. It might turn out that, at least for MMOs, Intel retains the performance crown, it might not.

If you overclock the AMD cpu, then its performance won't be too far behind the Intel one in current games. If you decide to record or stream gaming footage, then the AMD processor might even pull ahead.

We need to know more about what you want to spend on the computer, what you want to do on your computer, and what level of performance you expect from your computer in those tasks.

Deleted
    Mantle isn't CPU related.

Also, by the way, you can also overclock Intel CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    If games become more multi-threaded, and support multi-core processors better, then maybe it could. Mantle in Frostbite will improve parallel rendering using multiple cores. Obviously that is a big if. But it MIGHT (another modal there) make a difference. Possibly.

No, really? That is the first I've heard about it!

*wonders how best to indicate sarcasm in a forum post*

My understanding regarding Mantle and CPUs shows that Mantle will enable games to utilize more cores. All 8 of them if you're running something like an 8350 or 3770k.

Doesn't apply to something like WoW, but future MMOs may take advantage...

Deleted
    My point was that overclocking an AMD CPU is irrelevant in AMD vs. Intel debate since they both can do it. No reason to bring it up.

All we can do about mantle is speculate. But if it removes CPU bottlenecks it will only be more in AMD's favour since they are weaker.

Multithreading isn't something enabled by mantle, saying it's thanks to mantle that developers can utilise more cores is just BS.

My point was that overclocking an AMD CPU is irrelevant in AMD vs. Intel debate since they both can do it. No reason to bring it up.

All we can do about mantle is speculate. But if it removes CPU bottlenecks it will only be more in AMD's favour since they are weaker.
    The point was that you can pick up an FX-6300 for a pretty good price and OC the thing. You know, if you want to save some cash like the OP does...

Invest and just get a decent intel cpu.

However, you can get a cheaper quad-core FX processor and overclock it for close to the same performance for less money, if you are on a budget.

Multithreading isn't something enabled by mantle, saying it's thanks to mantle that developers can utilise more cores is just BS.
    I didn't say multithreading is enabled by Mantle (which would imply that it doesn't work nowadays). I said (and provided an AMD slide as a source) that it will IMPROVE it.

Just go with intel. I had an fx-8350 amd cpu at 4.7ghz and it ran WoW like a potato. In ToT, I got as high as 20-25 fps in my 25 man raid. With my new intel i7 4770k at 4.6ghz, I can get from 40-60 in 25 man.

I realize the 8350 may not be the amd equivalent of the 4770k but...intel is generally better
    Last edited by F1reheart; 2013-11-11 at 04:17 AM.

Deleted
    If you have a tight budget, get something like an i5 2500k and OC it. It'll ridicule AMD's line of processors in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I didn't say multithreading is enabled by Mantle (which would imply that it doesn't work nowadays). I said (and provided an AMD slide as a source) that it will IMPROVE it.
    Too bad Mantle won't be used in anything even remotely CPU bottlenecked.

There was really no point in bringing it up.

Invest in a top end i5

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like Intel is the way to go. I had been looking at a new PC in the thousand dollar range. Would've been closer to fifteen hundred if my monitor, speakers, mouse and keyboard were still usable ( thanks to my father in law). I was just wanting get the best I could for that price.

Yes I plan on building, will be my first build ever. But without getting into political crap, money is really tight and my other PC just died. Motherboard fried and it killed my CPU and gpu in the process(again thanks to father in law). Pus isn't working right either. Won't even power up my mom's PC.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

As others have mentioned, save and get an i5 4670k and a good mid range mobo, I recommend gigabte z87x UDH4, msi g45, asus z87 A and pick to suit needs, looks etc and get a decent cpu cooler and you'll be golden for mmo's in that regard.