Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    Pandaren Monk Mukki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ANC! ANC! ANC!
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I wanted a 1M hp hunter because yes. Am i an idiot for that? Or do i have the right to have an opinion?
    I don't think it makes you an idiot.

    It is gross, though, IMO to want to break 1 million hp.

  2. #62
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I wanted a 1M hp hunter because yes. Am i an idiot for that? Or do i have the right to have an opinion?

    you are not an idiot for wanting it
    you would only be an idiot if you threw whiny temper tantrum that you'd never get it, instead of just accepting it like an adult.
    Adults can want things and not get them.
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  3. #63
    People just don't get it. Every number in the game is being reduced by a percentage, so that in future expansions, you can continue to see higher numbers. They are at the programming limit of what numbers can be, so ALL numbers are being scaled down equally. All of your characters, whether level 90, 60, 23 will be scaled down proportionately. All mobs and bosses, no matter if they are from level 60 content, level 90 content, or Stormwind stockades, will be scaled down proportionately. A level 2 character will still be more powerful than a level 1 character, a 90 will still be more powerful than a 60. Everything will still be bigger, badder, and have more dps/do more damage as your characters progress - just as they do now.

    It's like the UI scale in your interface - everything scales down at the same rate, the only thing different is the range of numbers, which are all scaled down at the same rate. And this is done, again, so that you can continue to see bigger numbers as we forge through WoD and future expansions.

    Though it hasn't been specifically mentioned, I suspect XP gains and XP required to level will ALSO be scaled down - because at some point in the future, as long as expansions keep coming out, you'll need more than 2 billion XP to gain a level. Best to do it now, while everything else is being scaled.
    Last edited by Morendo; 2013-11-11 at 10:30 PM.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Morendo View Post
    People just don't get it. Every number in the game is being reduced by a percentage, so that in future expansions, you can continue to see higher numbers. They are at the programming limit of what numbers can be, so ALL numbers are being scaled down equally. All of your characters, whether level 90, 60, 23 will be scaled down proportionately. All mobs and bosses, no matter if they are from level 60 content, level 90 content, or Stormwind stockades, will be scaled down proportionately. A level 2 character will still be more powerful than a level 1 character, a 90 will still be more powerful than a 60. Everything will still be bigger, badder, and have more dps/do more damage as your characters progress - just as they do now.

    It's like the UI scale in your interface - everything scales down at the same rate, the only thing different is the range of numbers, which are all scaled down at the same rate. And this is done, again, so that you can continue to see bigger numbers as we forge through WoD and future expansions.

    Though it hasn't been specifically mentioned, I suspect XP gains and XP required to level will ALSO be scaled down - because at some point in the future, as long as expansions keep coming out, you'll need more than 2 billion XP to gain a level. Best to do it now, while everything else is being scaled.
    A few things that people don't understand:

    *1-59 will remain unchanged.

    *The item squish will keep happening every 2-3 expansions (and if their plan of releasing expansions faster it'll happen every 3-4 years).

    *Ilvl will keep growing exponentially.

  5. #65
    Scarab Lord Grubjuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Spook central
    Posts
    4,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Morendo View Post
    People just don't get it. Every number in the game is being reduced by a percentage, so that in future expansions, you can continue to see higher numbers.
    that is not what happening, they are also removing the stat jumps that occur at the transition from each old expansion to the one following it.
    and they will have to smooth out that jump every expansion in the future when the last boundry becomes an old boundry.
    .


    When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by einlanzer0 View Post
    Yeah, no. It was actually the best idea to ever come to a level-based MMO and the vast majority of people who played it (even if they don't currently) agree. God I should have known better than to try interacting with WoW's drooling playerbase.
    Whats the point of lvling up then?

  7. #67
    The Lightbringer SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    3,356
    The game will be horrible post squish. I wish they didn't do it. BliZzzzzards developers are a bunch of jerks.

  8. #68
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Morendo View Post
    People just don't get it. Every number in the game is being reduced by a percentage, so that in future expansions, you can continue to see higher numbers. They are at the programming limit of what numbers can be, so ALL numbers are being scaled down equally. All of your characters, whether level 90, 60, 23 will be scaled down proportionately. All mobs and bosses, no matter if they are from level 60 content, level 90 content, or Stormwind stockades, will be scaled down proportionately. A level 2 character will still be more powerful than a level 1 character, a 90 will still be more powerful than a 60. Everything will still be bigger, badder, and have more dps/do more damage as your characters progress - just as they do now.

    It's like the UI scale in your interface - everything scales down at the same rate, the only thing different is the range of numbers, which are all scaled down at the same rate. And this is done, again, so that you can continue to see bigger numbers as we forge through WoD and future expansions.

    Though it hasn't been specifically mentioned, I suspect XP gains and XP required to level will ALSO be scaled down - because at some point in the future, as long as expansions keep coming out, you'll need more than 2 billion XP to gain a level. Best to do it now, while everything else is being scaled.
    While everything gets scaled down, you can't scale down lvl 60 gear by the same 95% as lvl 90 gear. That would leave MC gear with 1-2 stats. Either you'd have to remove stats from almost all gear before 60 or that gear would be near equal. This would also leave a level 1 with only a few HP and doing less than 1 damage per hit.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by einlanzer0 View Post
    Seriously, anyone who is opposed to the squish is an idiot. My fear is actually that they won't take it far enough. Think about it - how much more awesome would the game be if suddenly all of the content from previous expansions became available to do without being completely trivialized by you being so stupidly OP that you can one-shot everything and never even take damage?

    It would be so much fun to go back and duo Kara, for example, while retaining some semblance of challenge. Or to organize a small group of 3 or 4 friends to go take out Icecrown.
    It would be fun, but they actually have the tech to do just that - it's entirely possible to scale your gear back even further the way it's scaled back now in challenge mode dungeons, for example.

    They just don't have it implemented because they need to do 2 more little things:
    - Make it also scale character level back (otherwise your base stats make you too powerful. A level 90 character trying to do deadmines in level 10 gear would still roll through the place because their base stats are 100x what you have in level 10 gear at level 10.
    - Give you some reason to do it. Right now they have no reward structure for it. While they COULD just implement it and say it's for fun only, they probably want to release it in such a way that people will be generally excited about it and have a reason to do it. If they just released it "for fun", people would largely ignore it, and it would be forgotten until they implemented it properly - only the excitement level would be lower when they did because it was already there.

    Sooner or later, they'll implement it, particularly if people remain interested in the possibility. But the ilevel squish isn't the way to do that, and in the short-term it's more important that they do the opposite - make it possible for people to still solo old content for transmog gear/pets/etc.

  10. #70
    Thyranne - I'm intrigued by your reply, as that is not how I understood this would happen - mostly regarding 1-59 not scaling, and their plan to repeat the item squish. (And I admit I may have missed these details). Do you, or anyone else have any links to official posts regarding this?

    It seems odd to me that Blizzard would intentionally re-create (multiple times) the original problem that required them to even do an item squish.

    Black Pearl: The scale wouldn't necessarily need to be completely linear, since current gear scaling over each expansion has definitely not been linear. But hopefully the result does bring things into more of a linear scaling.

    My apologies to all for being incorrect.
    Last edited by Morendo; 2013-11-11 at 10:52 PM.

  11. #71
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Whats the point of lvling up then?
    In GW2 there really wasnt one. You got bumped to max lvl for pvp and given a full set of gear, pve was the same stuff everywhere. Go to heart on map, complete "dynamic" event until heart is solid, go to next heart. Scaling levels down in GW2 was an awful feature and made it feel like you never made any progress with your character, I hope wow makes it optional if they implement it.

    OT: the item squish is really needed, the balance of power between players at different levels is just far too big. There is no defence against higher level players anymore, you have next to no chance of beating someone higher than you by a significant amount in world pvp, gone are the days of lvl 40's fighting back and killing the 60 trying to gank them.

  12. #72
    The people who still don't get how the scaling works, honestly, I start wishing that they don't scale old content for the first day, so that next expansion when you step in you get oneshot to punish you for months upon months of stupidity.



    There's item squish, and then there's timetravel-instances where you can do old content while you get scaled down to that level. I think that pretty much makes both camps happy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    In GW2 there really wasnt one. You got bumped to max lvl for pvp and given a full set of gear, pve was the same stuff everywhere. Go to heart on map, complete "dynamic" event until heart is solid, go to next heart. Scaling levels down in GW2 was an awful feature and made it feel like you never made any progress with your character, I hope wow makes it optional if they implement it.
    You only got scaled up for pvp, not for pve. The point of leveling up is to progress to higher level zones. You get scaled down if you go to lower level ones though, but you're still way more powerful because of spells and your gear.

    I for one loved the scaling down and being able to quest wherever the hell I feel like instead of being shoe-horned into zone a/b->c/d->e/f like is prevalent in almost any other mmo.
    3DS (Pokemon X) friendcode: 1263-6368-9207. PM me!

  13. #73
    The squish will make progression pointless. They might as well shut down WoW and make a Warcraft 4.

  14. #74
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    If they're going to do it with intent of there being a semblance of challenge, I'd rather they just went all the way with it and allow you to set a flag to scale your gear down to Kara's (or whatever raid) item level/character level/stats/etc., and if not you just steamroll it like it is now.

    Perhaps you get a better chance at the pet drops if you do it "scaled down" or some sort of incentive for that sort of "cosmetic" reward type thing.
    Yup it would need incentive. A good one too.
    Happy with WoD.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Whats the point of lvling up then?
    what's the point of anything? there'll just be another expac aftewards.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Katharine View Post
    The squish will make progression pointless. They might as well shut down WoW and make a Warcraft 4.
    You don't understand the squish then.

  16. #76
    Warchief Lime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Over There
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    While everything gets scaled down, you can't scale down lvl 60 gear by the same 95% as lvl 90 gear. That would leave MC gear with 1-2 stats. Either you'd have to remove stats from almost all gear before 60 or that gear would be near equal. This would also leave a level 1 with only a few HP and doing less than 1 damage per hit.
    I never even thought about that. If 1-59 is unaffected, then that would create a problem.

    Big thanks to Yoni for making this Avatar and Signature!

  17. #77
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I never even thought about that. If 1-59 is unaffected, then that would create a problem.
    how will it create a problem?


    All the squish is doing is smoothing out the gearing curve so that growth between expansions is still there just not as absurdly large as it has been.

  18. #78
    it doesnt matter if you doing 1000 dps or 100000 dps, mobs will die at the same interval, if you are that fussed with massive numbers then just quit the game, the game is just something to pass the time and enjoy.

  19. #79
    They can make it more linear and squish old content "less" (relatively) if they just change a few mechanics such as hit and crit. They only need to bother with ability to solo content at max level, which means that they can just change around a few things and change a few boss abilities and hey presto.

  20. #80
    Warchief Lime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Over There
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    how will it create a problem?
    If it's a 94% decrease across the board, then Onslaught Girdle (a level 60 item) will have worse stats than The Plaguebringer's Girdle (a level 55 item) . So there's no way it could be a flat out 94% decrease to everything.
    Last edited by Lime; 2013-11-11 at 11:29 PM.

    Big thanks to Yoni for making this Avatar and Signature!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •