15+ Year Old Account

Some Rogue Questions (New rogue)

Hey all. First off I want to say I hope you all are a little more gentle than the Warrior community here at MMO. When anyone asks a question there, all you get is "idiot read sticky." or "You're bad, read the sticky." "Your questions are answered in the sticky."

Yes, I have read the sticky. All of them, in fact. That doesn't answer all of my questions, however, as some questions require discussion to be understood. Now, onto my Rogue, who I am leveling. Currently level 68, about to head into Northrend.

I'm sub right now, because that's what all the sites say is the best dps spec atm. My questions, for the most part, revolve around the huge variance of info regarding what to do and what talents.

Some sites say that you open with Ambush, the sticky here says Garrote. Some sites say get Shadow Focus, this site says get Subterfuge. So which is correct?And why? Do I open with Garrote and vanish for an ambush, or vice versa?

Also, my main is a Warrior, so my mind works on a priority system.

If Rupture and Slice and Dice are about to fall off, and I have 5 combo points to spend, which has the higher priority?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    If Rupture and Slice and Dice are about to fall off, and I have 5 combo points to spend, which has the higher priority?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    To never let that happen has highest priority. If rupture and SnD are about to end shortly after another, make it so that you have 10 CP (5 from anticipation) to refresh both.
    If, however, you did botch it, SnD has higher priority, because it is your energy gain mechanic.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok. Thanks. Any comments about opening?

At your level there isn't much of a difference and mobs should be dying pretty fast.

Sub rogues open with garrote to get sanguinary veins up but really if you can almost kill a mob with ambush do that.

Shadow Focus is a good all around talent cause it's free energy and you can't argue with that.

Subterfuge on the other hand will let you open with a garrote, cheap shot then ambush.

Subterfuge loses a lot of it's merit vs. mobs that can see through stealth and mobs that are immune to stun though.

Rogue's are a lot different than warriors since we have spamable abilities and don't have to work off a fcfs rotation. As sub you'll generally be spamming hemo unless you're in a dungeon and have a tank with you then you can spam away with backstab.

Pick up hemorrhaging veins so that you can get the debuff up without garrote and rupture since honestly leveling rupture is kinda poo.

Most of the mobs you face at your level you should be able to premed -> ambush -> evis and they should fall over.

The stickies are for max level really. You should open with premed ambush and take shadow focus because you are looking to run up to a mob, unload all you energy into it and have it be dead. When you find this no longer works, you're probably better off with a different spec.

Now if you're doing an instance or something, you can lean more towards what the guide says. I wouldn't bother swapping talents though, but up to you. Garrote is only really worth it if the mob will live a while, its not bleeding, and you don't have find weakness up. You should glyph hemo. Rupture over evis if you're fighting something that will live long enough.

Also if solo'ing, don't bother with backstab because it requires you to either stun or incapacitate the mob which is a waste. Unless you do something crazy, glyph of deadly momentum to keep recup up should heal you enough you don't need to bother to stun.
    Last edited by Sesshou; 2013-11-12 at 01:21 AM.

I totally missed the point of this being about leveling. Disregard my 10 CP then, anticipation is the lvl 90 talent, and instead use the glyph of deadly momentum. Youre buffs should never fall off in combat.
    -Voltaire
    winning

It's nice to find a player that rolls a new rogue remeber that you are the exception - i'll try to answer all you questions.

I'm sub right now, because that's what all the sites say is the best dps spec atm.
    Sub isn't the best dps spec - actually all three are viable with Combat generally being better just because of additional utility that Sub doesn't have. Since you're still leveling, just pick the one you find more fun; all three can dish out pretty much the same damage. A big pro for sub is its burstiness on openers which means you can chain kill mobs really fast - one by one.

Some sites say that you open with Ambush, the sticky here says Garrote. Some sites say get Shadow Focus, this site says get Subterfuge. So which is correct?And why? Do I open with Garrote and vanish for an ambush, or vice versa?
    The answer here would be reeeaaallly long, so i'm cutting that part and go straight to the point: since you're leveling get Subterfuge, open with Cheap shot (glyphed) - Ambush - Hemo (glyphed) - Eviscerate and the mob should be dead (or near death).

This is more an endgame question than leveling one - you should also have deadly momentum glyph so your snd shouldn't never fall off. Anyway their priority in rotation is so close that neither of the two should be falling; with anticipation you can just continue BS spamming to pool CP and refresh them accordingly.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the in depth answers. It's much appreciated.

Yes, this was about a rogue that is leveling, but I still desire the knowledge. I am the type of person that goes all out during 5 mans. On a boss, I want to be #1 dps, and that means knowing my class and exactly what rotation/priority to use. I like doing 3k dps right now while everyone else is doing 1900. It makes meh feel good.

Until the other kids get their OP tools.
    Leveling is anything but balanced, heirlooms win any contest and unregulated leveling paths eat up anything left.
    -Voltaire
    winning

I honestly wouldn't even bother using rupture on a mob while levelling unless it has a decent amount of HP as you would probably kill it in an opener followed by an evis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheltx View Post
    I honestly wouldn't even bother using rupture on a mob while levelling unless it has a decent amount of HP as you would probably kill it in an opener followed by an evis.
    This. Any spec is good for leveling, but Assassin/Combat would be better over Subtlety. For raids/5mans/etc, I've found Assassin to be my own personal choice, but you should go with what you like most!

That's why you use Glyphed hemo - hemo is the only CP builder you can use during leveling due to positional requirement, and as soon you hit it you get the 35% damage bonus.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Vren View Post
    This. Any spec is good for leveling, but Assassin/Combat would be better over Subtlety. For raids/5mans/etc, I've found Assassin to be my own personal choice, but you should go with what you like most!
    Sub actually works well when you are killing the mobs before you run out of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    The answer here would be reeeaaallly long, so i'm cutting that part and go straight to the point: since you're leveling get Subterfuge, open with Cheap shot (glyphed) - Ambush - Hemo (glyphed) - Eviscerate and the mob should be dead (or near death).
    Strongly disagree. You are better off with shadow focus. You just used 165 energy to kill that mob which you will actually have to wait to regen some energy to do (yeah the evis refunds 25 but you still need 35 to hit it). Take SF and ambush->hemo->hemo evis (assuming premed is down). Same 4 gcds, takes 110 energy meaning you will not have to wait to regen at all and does more damage.