Warlords of Draenor a plot device to...

Two Options which I honestly think will be both of them.

1. Get more Orcs in the Horde (After we basically genocide the majority of them with SoO) and the Horde is extremely weakened atm. (Lorewise the Orc dominated the majority of their forces)

2. Gul'dan escapes into Azeroth and summons the Burning Legion
    Garrosh Hellscream... Making the Alliance/Horde Carebears cry since 2010.

Both are possible. The Horde is in rough shape right now, and I'd wager a lot of orc players would do terrible things if it meant we got Durotan as the orc racial leader. But honestly, given the overview description we got (the Alliance is going to reenact the RTSes in full reverse, and the Horde is, er, something about honor), I don't know if we're going down a road with a strong Horde at the end of it. Just as likely that we leave Alternate Draenor with nothing more than an "I think we all learned something today" speech, and probably a few more dead racial leaders, as is tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Both are possible. The Horde is in rough shape right now, and I'd wager a lot of orc players would do terrible things if it meant we got Durotan as the orc racial leader. But honestly, given the overview description we got (the Alliance is going to reenact the RTSes in full reverse, and the Horde is, er, something about honor), I don't know if we're going down a road with a strong Horde at the end of it. Just as likely that we leave Alternate Draenor with nothing more than an "I think we all learned something today" speech, and probably a few more dead racial leaders, as is tradition.
    Quite possible. Although I do feel like Blizzard is taking a cheap route. Let's say.. Ogrim Doomhammer comes through the Portal and becomes the Warchief for the current Horde. Would that be amazing? Kinda because he's probably the best Warchief they ever had but its kinda like Blizzard saying "We can't make new interesting characters anymore so we gotta go to the past to get ones you liked"

So you feel Blizzard is taking the cheap route because you can't think of anything better?

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    So you feel Blizzard is taking the cheap route because you can't think of anything better?
    What? No. Blizzard is basically showing that they can't come up with unique characters anymore and we're doing a Past Arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
    Two Options which I honestly think will be both of them.

1. Get more Orcs in the Horde (After we basically genocide the majority of them with SoO) and the Horde is extremely weakened atm. (Lorewise the Orc dominated the majority of their forces)
    Orcs genocide. Got to hate that and make sure you don't kill your great grandfather orc.

2 Burning legions. - Really got to hate that.

Quite possible. Although I do feel like Blizzard is taking a cheap route. Let's say.. Ogrim Doomhammer comes through the Portal and becomes the Warchief for the current Horde. Would that be amazing? Kinda because he's probably the best Warchief they ever had but its kinda like Blizzard saying "We can't make new interesting characters anymore so we gotta go to the past to get ones you liked"
    Really do agree with that. It does show a certain lack of creativity to jump back on old characters. To much trouble to do anything else.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-11-11 at 10:05 PM.

What? No. Blizzard is basically showing that they can't come up with unique characters anymore and we're doing a Past Arc.
    They came up with a lot of new and interesting characters in MoP and a fairly loud vocal minority exclaimed "This isn't Warcraft!" This expansion seems to be all about going back "to their roots" and trying to please those dissenters.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Orcs genocide. Got to hate that and make sure you don't kill your great grandfather orc.
    Not a problem other than guilt. Won't effect that Orc in the slightest.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

So you've played WoD already and know the entire story? Or do you just assume that there won't be any original characters in WoD?

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    So you've played WoD already and know the entire story? Or do you just assume that there won't be any original characters in WoD?
    They already revealed an original character in the form of the Joan of Arc type Draenei woman, Yrel. I think it's safe to assume there will be more as well, of course guys like the person you quoted are too thick headed to accept facts.
    Butts.

They can actually come up with good, new characters. They simply have an unfortunate fascination with making them turn evil and get killed. They managed to do that with just about all of the major orcs introduced in WoW's lifetime in a single patch, and they have no way to replace them all that wouldn't seem lazy. It took eight years to build what we had before SoO. Getting back up to that level in two or less is going to seem like a cheap shortcut regardless of what they do.

or 3) Gives the curious people who watched the Warcraft Movie a reference point for joining in the game to say "Oh cool, that's Durotan and Khadgar from the movie!"

While Time Travel is not a lot of fun. But if they go the route of that everyone who travels retains memories of what happened in the past, we could get some very interesting bits of lore as both the Alliance and Horde deal with; "Knowing what we do now, would we make the same decisions?" Is the known terror less horrific than an unknown terror? Can people change with when a variable gets put into play?

If they are actually allowing wow lore to be rewritten by this, it could get interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is something I was thinking about.

However, I don't personally believe they'd do it.

I do see an Old God coming back in their Draenor though, thanks to the Arrakoa being allowed to continue existence. Basically, without Gul'dan being able to cast the spell that destroyed and bound the spirits of SMV area's Arrakoa... it's possible they could summon that Old God they were trying for in visions during TBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it's a plot device to respond to the issue of "Pandaren don't really tie into the Legion that well."

Now we have a stepping stone to take us from Pandaren to the Legion.

My guess is after we defeat the Iron Horde, Gul'dan will return and offer the remaining Orcs a chance for revenge against Azeroth. While we were distracted, agents of the Legion from our timeline had gone through the Red Dark Portal and begun to speak to Gul'dan again. The Iron Horde drinks Demon Blood in the end (the future refused to change) and we see a bunch of them when we head to Argus in 7.0.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    or 3) Gives the curious people who watched the Warcraft Movie a reference point for joining in the game to say "Oh cool, that's Durotan and Khadgar from the movie!"
    hmm..that actually makes a lot of sense. WoD is a sneaky (or not so sneaky) move tie in...of sorts