Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Has anyone else noticed...

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster here, but I have a question.

Has anyone else noticed that when Activision took over Blizzard, WoW went to crap?

I mean, let's look at Activision as a company. What's their crown jewel? Call of Duty. How do they release it? They spew out the same exact game from the depths of their bowels year after year, always being mediocre at best. They're a company that's about making fast money rather than good games. Companies such as Bethesda choose to take years and years to fully develop and polish out their games, never yearly releases. Why? Because that's what it takes to make an amazing game.

Ever since Activision took over, what do we get? Faster content. But does faster mean better? Yes there's more to do to get the most perfect pair of pants, but the gregarious journey you have to take to acquire the pants isn't fun. Instead of waiting five or six months for a good patch, we wait 2-3 months for crap content that involves daily quests or waiting for mobs to spawn.

I know, I know, you've heard it a thousand times before. "I HATE DOING DAILIES!" But still. It really just seems that Activision took their "fast release policy", injected it into Blizzard, and now the devs don't even have enough time to come up with things that are actually worth playing. I used to play WoW for 8-16 hours a day religiously, now I don't even bother to resub. I hate it when developers use the fallback excuse "well people grow up and decide not to play games anymore." Well, while that may be true in some cases, it's not true in all cases. I still play games, currently Path of Exile, for upwards of 20 hours, I just choose not to play WoW anymore, because it's just not fun.

Any thoughts? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about? Activision took over around Cataclysm correct? Cataclysm being by far the worst content expansion to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiferrr View Post
    Any thoughts? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about? Activision took over around Cataclysm correct? Cataclysm being by far the worst content expansion to date.

Ah, this old chestnut again. Cataclysm was not a bad expansion, it just had a disappointing final raid.

This has been covered time and again here.

Does a faster development cycle impact game content? Sure.
    Is WoW's faster development cycle due to Activision? Probably not.
    Is the impact on game content due to development cycle an objective negative? No, not really
    Is faster content something that Blizzard has been asked to deliver? Yes
    Unanimously? Well, no I guess probably not.

sooo... I'm not really sure what else you need to hear.

Deleted
    I used to play WoW for 8-16 hours a day religiously
    you sir.. have attachment issues. Go get yourself some sex and relieve that frustration you have with the game. Activision "took over" a long time before cataclysm. Cata was awe full yes but it was the start of a transition to make the game as a whole more accessible to all players. Not saying i agree with their choices.
    If you did genuinely play the game that much every day its likely you burnt out. it happens. Try playing a few hours at a time. You also say you dont bother to sub yet criticise game choices when not actively playing them.

Also they can release COD however they want as the fan base are like lemmings and will buy it regardless

This is a old beaten horse.

Seriously, Blizzard stated multiple times that Activision hardly dictates how Blizzard handles things (Activision kinda lets Blizzard do what they do best.)

I'm just surprised Blizzard doesn't become their own publishers.

WoW peaked at, what, 10.4M subscribers in Wotlk. Activision took over during Cataclysm, wow is now down to 7.7. Numbers here.

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster here, but I have a question.

Has anyone else noticed that when Activision took over Blizzard, WoW went to crap?

I mean, let's look at Activision as a company. What's their crown jewel? Call of Duty. How do they release it? They spew out the same exact game from the depths of their bowels year after year, always being mediocre at best. They're a company that's about making fast money rather than good games. Companies such as Bethesda choose to take years and years to fully develop and polish out their games, never yearly releases. Why? Because that's what it takes to make an amazing game.

Ever since Activision took over, what do we get? Faster content. But does faster mean better? Yes there's more to do to get the most perfect pair of pants, but the gregarious journey you have to take to acquire the pants isn't fun. Instead of waiting five or six months for a good patch, we wait 2-3 months for crap content that involves daily quests or waiting for mobs to spawn.

I know, I know, you've heard it a thousand times before. "I HATE DOING DAILIES!" But still. It really just seems that Activision took their "fast release policy", injected it into Blizzard, and now the devs don't even have enough time to come up with things that are actually worth playing. I used to play WoW for 8-16 hours a day religiously, now I don't even bother to resub. I hate it when developers use the fallback excuse "well people grow up and decide not to play games anymore." Well, while that may be true in some cases, it's not true in all cases. I still play games, currently Path of Exile, for upwards of 20 hours, I just choose not to play WoW anymore, because it's just not fun.

I actually enjoyed T11 and the content Cataclysm delivered it was just that Dragon Soul left a terrible after-taste. The game has gotten better in my opinion after DS. I've enjoyed every tier and every bit of content given. But that's my opinion and not yours so I say they are doing a good job and I like the faster development cycles.

Deleted
    WoW peaked at, what, 10.4M subscribers in Wotlk. Activision took over during Cataclysm, wow is now down to 7.7. Numbers here.
    stop posting incorrect information!

Activision and vivendi merged in 2008! that would be wrath. NOT cata

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a Cataclysm during 2008, when the Blizzard-Activision merger took place.

Deleted
    Well whats the point of even asking this...i said alot of times that mop is a filler expansion and warlords of draenor is a filler expansion too and guess what? (im willing to bet on this) the next expansion after warlords of draenor is going to be a filler expansion to, why? because it's damn proffitable. wow is a hundred milion of dollar proffit / year game, you would rather get less proffit for the next 5 years instead of cutting it short and make even-less proffit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, its another "here's an opinion about WoW presented as a factual statement about the quality of the game" thread.

Here's another opinion. Cata's only real shortcoming was the length of time we spent in Dragon Soul before we got Mists. It's easy to dwell on that, and convenient to forget that Cata was the expansion that added several game-changing features that were VERY well-received - like Transmogging.

Initial annoyances with repgrinding aside, Mists was a fantastic expansion IMO. One of the most fully-realized 'worlds' in the history of the game, great new lore, a beautifully animated new race/class and it gave us some of the best raids the game has seen since Wrath.

Oh and as for your 'fast release' conspiracy theory? Players have asked Blizzard for faster content for years, and long since before Activision had anything to do with them. Blizzard has been criticized since the D1/D2 days for how long it takes them to produce games/content. They finally reach a point where they get stuff out faster (Throne/Siege were nicely staggered, for example) and now we've got people like you, whining that they've sold their soul to the Call of Duty machine, that they release stuff too fast and clearly that's an indicator of the selling-out process. Ugh. There really is no pleasing some people.

Your disliking the game in its current state isn't a reflection of anything greater or bigger than your own opinion on it. It doesn't speak of the quality of WoW, of the state of Blizzard or of the effect Activision has had on them.

It means you didn't like Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by laumex View Post
    Well whats the point of even asking this...i said alot of times that mop is a filler expansion and warlords of draenor is a filler expansion too and guess what? (im willing to bet on this) the next expansion after warlords of draenor is going to be a filler expansion to, why? because it's damn proffitable. wow is a hundred milion of dollar proffit / year game, you would rather get less proffit for the next 5 years instead of cutting it short and make even-less proffit.
    Every expansion is filler since it's there to prolong the lifetime of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Every expansion is filler since it's there to prolong the lifetime of the game.
    i think the point is more its supposed to fill to a big event. The general consensus was the whole wrathion stuff was meant to prelude a burning legion expansion. Instead we have WOD which is without a doubt a filler. So we are filling into a filler into a?
    TBC/WRATH and even CATA to an extent had definitive end bosses that pretty much ended that part of the story. MOP has left it very widely open and i would guess that WOD will do the same

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    i think the point is more its supposed to fill to a big event. The general consensus was the whole wrathion stuff was meant to prelude a burning legion expansion. Instead we have WOD which is without a doubt a filler. So we are filling into a filler into a?
    TBC/WRATH and even CATA to an extent had definitive end bosses that pretty much ended that part of the story. MOP has left it very widely open and i would guess that WOD will do the same
    Yes that's exactly what's happening right now, tbc was the first expansion dealing with what happened in first warcraft games but that story being the main story of wow couldn't be dealt with in the first expansion, then wotlk finished the story of arthas and continued the other main story about titans/old gods, then cataclysm dealt with deathwing and dragon aspects, and mop IS a filler expansion because they decided to make an expansion for pandarens, something that only lore fans barely knew about their existance, and now in wod we're dealing with something we shouldn't it's just something they made up to get more time and obviously more money, in the end it's just math and they did their homework and they know how many filler expansions can suck before it's not going to be AS proffitable as it should.

Warlords of Draenor is not going to be a filler expansion. Kil'jaeden plays a prominent role and may even be the end-boss. That's not filler.

Yes I've noticed that. Activision is a shit company. See what happened to COD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnission View Post
    Warlords of Draenor is not going to be a filler expansion. Kil'jaeden plays a prominent role and may even be the end-boss. That's not filler.
    you have proof of this? or just making shit up? Not sure why we would even be fighting the legion in an alternate dimension dreanor when they are just about ready to blow up azeroth. it has no grounding in the story at all

It's not Activision, it's the Blizzard company and its leaders as a whole. At the start of BC half of the original Warcraft team had left to create ArenaNet and other companies which did well or bad, same for SC2 and D3 teams, for some reason Metzen gets these fucking epiphanies in his head like star ships for Burning Crusade and endless love story between Jim and Sarah for SC and I think the devs are just like "man wtf is up this shit?" and call it quits.

Doesn't help that SC2 just focused on being an e-sport and innovated almost nada comparatively to what SC1 brought in relation to games of its day, D3 was recycled D2 content as far as 2 Acts go etc. Blizzard just doesn't innovate as much anymore, they play everything safe.

I don't think WoW is crap now, even though most of this expansion was tedious to go through, but it could be in a far, far better place. They did some amazing things with WOTLK and after that they toned it down for some reason.

you have proof of this? or just making shit up? Not sure why we would even be fighting the legion in an alternate dimension dreanor when they are just about ready to blow up azeroth. it has no grounding in the story at all
    The legion are involved in draenor during the time, it's clear they'll be involved, although I would say Mannoroth not Kil'Jaedan.

If we didn't fight back, the orcs, probably followed by the legion would pour forward into our Azeroth and kick our shit in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ballantines View Post
    It's not Activision, it's the Blizzard company and its leaders as a whole. At the start of BC half of the original Warcraft team had left to create ArenaNet and other companies which did well or bad, same for SC2 and D3 teams, for some reason Metzen gets these fucking epiphanies in his head like star ships for Burning Crusade and endless love story between Jim and Sarah for SC and I think the devs are just like "man wtf is up this shit?" and call it quits.

Doesn't help that SC2 just focused on being an e-sport and innovated almost nada comparatively to what SC1 brought in relation to games of its day, D3 was recycled D2 content as far as 2 Acts go etc. Blizzard just doesn't innovate as much anymore, they play everything safe.

I don't think WoW is crap now, even though most of this expansion was tedious to go through, but it could be in a far, far better place. They did some amazing things with WOTLK and after that they toned it down for some reason.
    I don't really get how MoP was "playing it safe".

It would have been so much safer to just throw the burning legion or similar at us after losing subs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Althought I'm not sure I agree to the part about them being responsible for the "faults" in X-pacs, I do agree that Activision is mingling in others affairs.
    They are a company who only cares about money, so when they see a successful company they want a piece of the pie. They don't care about the gamers, or even about the games, all they want is the money.
    I really hope they'll end up go bankrupt and have to close down for good, not only do I not apove of companies who only cares about money, but the fact that they interfere with other companies just for the money, but they dont even lift a finger to help make new games, yet still get money. All they do is sit in their chair in a corner and count their money which other earn for them, that's just dispicable.