Elemental DPS woes...some advice please

To preface, I'm mostly restricted to LFR and what flex I can find through OQueue in late hours as I have a very weird work schedule and mostly work nights. My average ilvl right now is 520 and on a target dummy in orgrimmar I'm averaging maybe 115-120k sustained.

I used Mr Robot as a starting point for gemming/reforging , imported my armory profile into SimC and it advised against gemming/forging for mastery and favored Haste in the stat weights. I edited the weights on mr robot and then proceeded to reforge into haste, I did see much better results with haste over mastery; however I'm still getting absolutely smoked in LFR/Flex1 & 2.

While I fully expect to be below hunters/mages/warlocks to a reasonable degree, but I find myself falling down to 75-90k range on movement intensive fights (trying to use Spiritwalker's grace as needed). SimC puts me at around 190k on Patchwerk style, 138k HelterSkelter.

The rotation seems like its fairly hard to screw up, I'm keeping FS up as much as I can rarely if ever falling off, LB, EB, LB, ES at 7 stacks, LB on procs. I'm fairly confident that rotation isn't the issue. I see shaman's in the 535-545 ilvl range doing almost 100k more dps from me, am I just underestimating how much 20 ilvl can add?

Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations from my gear, or maybe I'm being mislead by SimC all together. SimC says about 190k on Patchwerk style and after lust, ascendence and everything else settle I end up settling around 115-120k in my rotation.

Unfortunately I do not have logs to produce as I haven't really kept them since I don't raid outside of LFR/Flex, maybe I should start. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Armory link = http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...jiroh/advanced

That's most likely a gear issue. Once you get some good SoO trinket drops(bindings in particular, so that you can stack mastery), legendary meta/cloak and a good weapon, you should be fine. Remember to switch UF when stacking mastery, since probably you won't be able to deal with the EB cast time.

I believe 120K is already near your peak(assuming that you are playing this toon casually), may be try to switch to UF or PE with the Fire Elemental Glyph on high movement fights, also macro ascendance with spiritwalker and try to prepot before it.

I recommend Elementarist to see if you are making any mistakes in priority casting.

Well that makes me feel a bit better. Overall it seems fairly hard to gear up as an ele shaman without guild support. LFR only gets you so far and then DPS is too low for what most people want for flex and end up getting removed. Maybe if I can at least get some LFR trinkets I can go resto for a while to flex, I seem to get a lot more mileage out of my gear when healing and never get any complaints.

That's a sound strategy. If you don't have a raiding guild, you can indeed go resto through flex runs until you get decent elemental gear.

Have a PM to send but not at 10 posts yet so will get it to you some other way.

As others have said you're doing just fine. Elemental does much better as you get more gear. I was well behind my other guildies until I got into the mid to high 540's now I can keep up for most fights (well not with the Warlock).

MrRobot works fine to help with your adjustments. There are lots of "discussions" on Haste and Mastery but at your gear you won't notice a difference. Pick a Haste level that makes your casting comfortable to your playstyle, tell MrRobot to cap at that Haste level and dump everything else into Mastery (obviously after getting Hit cap). I personally have found 35% to be my zone but sims and your playstyle/comfort may be different.

The suggestion to macro Spiritwalkers Grace with Ascendance is excellent and may free that Glyph spot for Healing Tide Totem or something else you like.

Feel free to PM me on Korgath - Shadowdi.

Shadow

I don't know what it was about your post but you really made me smile. Nowadays i'm seeing so many scrubs crying for purples without any clue how to do anything else. I saw a 540 DK pull a legitimate 46K DPS on Fallen Protectors flex in a run that I made and it was just woeful to see. It's just the way you are playing wow casually while managing your unusual work schedule and just trying your hardest even then. Then you put together full english sentences and are actually seeking help in a very polite manner. I check your armory and you are fully enchanted and gemmed, reforging is perfect even with low item level and then your panda's hat!

I'm not trying to patronise you at all this post was just really nice to see from someone who doesn't really see past LFR (they have a bad reputation).

As for your Shaman! Everything you are doing is totally fine and you are actually playing your character to the max at your current gear level. You have to remember that the legendary gem and cloak can add the equivalent of 10-15 item levels of DPS while only actually increasing item level by 5 or so. Trinkets also have a similar affect and the one's you have at the moment are suboptimal make-ups, so don't worry. Everything will improve drastically with gear and if you have time for the legendary quest then get going. Even just achieving the legendary meta gem part is going to be such a huge gain. You are right in going for haste build at lower gear level and taking Elemental Blast, however this will change as you gear up and you will start favouring mastery and will change to Unleashed Fury.

Anyway just keep doing what your doing because everything is totally fine. If you are going into flex and getting trashed on DPS this is totally normal, I mean I take my 570 balance druid to flex, how can you compare? I for one would definitely take you to a flex group regardless of your item level as a lot of the time you can be boosted until you get enough upgrades to contribute a bit more. You have the attitude to be a great player so just stick at it!

Logan

Sounds like you're doing okay for your gear level! A few minor comments (based on my conversations teaching other new elemental players):

1) The legendary meta gem and cape are a big deal. Not much you can do about that, except for working on the quest chain.

2) You mentioned having significantly lower dps during movement. This is a bit surprising as movement is one of our strengths. You can essentially do your entire rotation (except for hard cast Lava Bursts and Elemental Blasts) while moving. Are you casting lightning bolts while moving and Spiritwalker's Grace is on cooldown?

3) Are you cleaving with chain lightning as often as you can? If you can cleave onto a second target, you generally should be substituting chain lightning for lightning bolt in your rotation.

4) To the extent that you're having any problems with the rotation, you might consider using PE instead of EB as it simplifies the rotation a bit (and PE is very good for a haste build, like what you're using, as elemental benefits from haste). You should always use PE over EB for heavy movement fights or fights with multiple adds, as the elemental cleaves too, however, otherwise, it's mostly a subjective preference.

You seem on the right track! Best of luck!

As said before... there are some key issues and things that will quickly boost your DPS as you obtain them.

Elemental Shaman are balanced around -

A. Legendary Meta Gem
    B. Legendary Cape
    C. Amp Trinket off Immerseus

Since you're using a haste build, you can play around with the idea of Primal Fire Ele. But at your item level - Elemental Blast will be stronger.

Gear scaling is incredibly insane from this tier to the next. Having the legendaries and the 5.4 trinkets make an incredible portion of your DPS. I also want to point out that you're missing out on set bonuses too. Even those add a fair amount.

Ele scales nicely once you get some gear, like others said, meta/cape are actually REALLY large dps increase.

Once you get the meta, you stack as much mastery as can, Since you're not doing heroics you won't get anywhere near the mastery cap (which is around 87% with ele blast.)

The cape contributes around 30k dps itself.