Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Supakaiser View Post
    Is DB really not simming properly?
    I know at one point it did not, but I've never really paid attention to if it was fixed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus9001 View Post
    I always laugh at 'pet management' remarks. /petattack used in a macro with one's main attacks (and actually being in normal line of sight) is all the 'management' needed. (I say this from the standpoint of playing not only a hunter, but also a Frost Mage, an Unholy DK, and a Demonology Warlock.)
    I do believe Shockymonkey was referring to the bugs in the pets pathing and such, I believe it's referred to as the Pet's AI. I would not weave /petattack into my shots, as there's times where you would let your pet be on the boss, while you swap to another target. A lot of pet traveltime over a fight will hurt your dmg done a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    Who are you? Every post I've seen by you (2) is just full of ludicrous claims.
    Reminds me of Conan O'brien @ Blizzcon.

I've become crappy at SV, for some reason. I played it all in DS, and then switched to BM in T14 when BM was superior single target....and now I can't do SV for shit. I always get thrown off by BA now having a shorter CD than its duration due to AoC.

I just need to practice it for an hour on a dummy, I guess. Still languishing in 2pc, so I'm not going to bother til then.

Deleted
    I have feeling sv is better for dmg atm like bm

BM is buggy. Play survival in pve, play mm in pvp. I can't even being to count the times I was yelling "Where the fuck is that spider ?!".

Went all Commander Vo'Jak from Siege of Niuzao Temple dungeon: "Where...where is it? Worthless, useless... damn you!"
    Last edited by Molestron; 2013-11-19 at 11:02 AM.

For me (573 iLvl, HWF Malkorok gun, HWF AoC) I seem to do better single target and AoE damage as BM. The only time I can ge similar SV single target DPS is when I have good LnL procs, but when I'm unlucky it seems to drop below BM by a fair amount (~10k). To me, SV just feels weird, where you keep spamming the same button over and over again whilst watching all your DoTs fall off from the boss, everything inside of me just screams no.

I do play SV on some occasions where it might not do as much damage as SV, but is better for boss mechanics. Mainly this is Spoils HC, where quick switching from adds to sparks will mean the difference between a wipe and a kill, and I feel BM just doesn't bring enough burst to the table, since my pet has to run back and forth on every spark.

EDIT: I notice a lot of hunters are complaining about Pet AI and pet pathing. I have never really encountered any problems with this, except for Spoils and Galakras tower group, but that is just simple LoS.
    Last edited by Zirke; 2013-11-19 at 01:43 AM.

Melee pets have notorious problems with uptime on moving targets. It can be a big deal on fights like Thok, or Shamans. It might not be apparent, but it's happening. This is also the reason Dire Beast can be really bad on some fights. Unlike your actual pet, the Beast doesn't have any movement abilities to counter the uptime.

This is issue is covered under "Pet AI issues" because the pet AI lacks a "slow follow" mode. Instead it jerks in and out of melee range, losing attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been waiting on heroic haromms to go SV for the rest of SoO. Been stuck with N WF AoC (got it week #1 of 5.4) and H Renatakis. Have yet to receive ANY version of the other SoO trinks and it's driving me nuts.
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

Been waiting on heroic haromms to go SV for the rest of SoO. Been stuck with N WF AoC (got it week #1 of 5.4) and H Renatakis. Have yet to receive ANY version of the other SoO trinks and it's driving me nuts.
    Yea i've coined the cloak from Shaman's TWICE (one HWF and the other just heroic), I'm hoping this week will be different. Since progression is pretty much over I'll be able to go Surv/MM for the rest of this tier if i get that trinket.

10+ Year Old Account
    BM and Surv are so close when it comes to DPS that it doesn't matter unless you're competing on a World First kill level.

I play both specs on a fight to fight basis and have no issues with it. I enjoy both specs but i know others who despise BM.

Deleted
    Tbh, it's personal preference. BM & Survival are a bit stronger than MM as of late, but play whatever you like the most and find the most fun.

That's what counts the most in the end.

I personally prefer to play Survival, because I don't like the pet management and think it's a bit annoying sometimes. Plus, it's fun with the 4-set bonus.

It's really on a fight by fight basis. I personally preferred BM on most fights because I was more in control of the burst (bestial wrath) when needed. For example, on paragons you can go BM and hold bestial wrath for korven amber burn or xaril. But now I pretty much go whatever spec I feel like at the time for the first 13 bosses. The answer is really to learn all specs and be able to use the most effective one for the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirke View Post
    For me (573 iLvl, HWF Malkorok gun, HWF AoC) I seem to do better single target and AoE damage as BM. The only time I can ge similar SV single target DPS is when I have good LnL procs, but when I'm unlucky it seems to drop below BM by a fair amount (~10k). To me, SV just feels weird, where you keep spamming the same button over and over again whilst watching all your DoTs fall off from the boss, everything inside of me just screams no.

EDIT: I notice a lot of hunters are complaining about Pet AI and pet pathing. I have never really encountered any problems with this, except for Spoils and Galakras tower group, but that is just simple LoS.
    YESSS, lol. This is how I feel too. When I switch from BM to SV, I also feel like I have less to do and frequently feel as though I'm missing a spell or three.
    I started out as SV but have fallen in love with BM.

I also hardly EVER experience pet issues. A lot of raiders complain about their pet going ''poof'' on Immerseus, but since I position myself close to the boss on my platform, I never had this happen to me. I've also I guess been lucky enough that my pet hasn't blinked into boxes or anything of the like.
    The only time I have a pet ''issue'' is when it dies due to melee hits from the wall of adds on Shamans.

I get amazing burst with BM, but now that I do have 4pc and both BiS trinkets I do suppose it's time to dust off my SV spec and at least practice it enough that I don't feel so damn rusty each time, lol.

BM and SV are so close in terms of dps output that I firmly believe that if you choose the spec you are most COMFORTABLE playing, that will out DPS the other just because of player style and capability. So don't forget to have fun while pew pewing!

Deleted
    The problem with BM is not pet AI. The issue is when you have to switch targets and your pet takes forever to swap. Even with Dash and Blink Strikes it's still less efficient than being SV, keep pet on boss and do full DPS other targets.

I like BM more but on fights with target switching I find SV way more convenient.

with 40% proc chance I wouldn't worry about 4 set rng I got like 14 explosives in a row, and it's fun to watch dmg meter and see that explosive shot does about 45% all of dmg done lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    with 40% proc chance I wouldn't worry about 4 set rng I got like 14 explosives in a row, and it's fun to watch dmg meter and see that explosive shot does about 45% all of dmg done lol
    That's the thing though that creates RNG, one pull you have a 14 ES streak followed by another 8 ES streak and then the next pull you get no extra ES, ie, quite a lot of RNG

I used to switch between SV and BM depending on the fight(I generally favored SV), but ever since I got my 4 set(which took forever) I've been able to just stay SV even on single target fights. It's particularly amazing burst if you get lucky and get a nice string of LnL early on when your potion and 2 trinkets procs are up.

Is DB really not simming properly?
    It sims properly, but keep in mind it assumes the DB has 100% uptime on your target. In any situation where the DB is forced to move at all (non stationary boss, target switching, target is killed before DB wears off) can negate the minor dps boost it gives you. Especially when you consider the utility of the other two choices they are generally more favourable than DB.