Deleted

Garrisons back in Azeroth (in future)

I've been thinking about this as a possible feature that could be implemented in time. I know that for WoD there are only going to be garrisons in Draenor and that's cool since the game designers will need to put in designated 'slots' or so to speak for them. However, I was wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to eventually be able to have our garrisons available throughout the whole of Azeroth?

Granted that there would need to be a revamp of the world to allow for the placement of these new garrisons and similar slots would have to be placed around. I think we can all accept that at some point there will be a complete overhaul of the old world map again for a particular expansion - so why not be able to keep our garrisons there? Almost inevitably, what happens is that there will be zones that are completely empty and nobody will ever really go there. Through the levelling process (for most of us) I'm pretty sure we got to really love a lot of the zones and would love to keep our garrison there. I'm assuming that we would almost always be able to get from our garrison to a city (port/hearth/etc) and then be able to travel to where we need to go.

I'm not saying that we should have garrisons on *every* zone in old world Azeroth - but it would be pretty cool to be able to have our housing all over the place. It would populate the world more and when other people do go through it - they see the garrisons 'showing off'. I also reckon that it could help solve lag problems since characters would be more spread out in theory.

What do you guys think? Also, where would you like to place your garrisons if you had unlimited choice?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if it goes well on Draenor, they might consider it. It all depends on player reaction.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Old world garrisons could be put on their own islands in otherwise unused sections of water, that would minimize the hassle of adding them.

my idea is that every xpack will have a "garrison" like thing but each time we need to restart from scratch, unlocking building, recruit followers etc. Or it will start another crusade like the flying mounts peoples cry because it is phased and blizzard start bitching with the excuse that it's better for the game to not have a personal space.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

I would totally put my garrison in Duskwood! Always loved the creepiness factor
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

I'd like a guildhall in your faction's capitol, personally. Something that takes a lot of time and resources to obtain, but offers a bit more permanence than a MoP farm or WoD garrison.

For player housing, I'd like one available in each race's starting zone. So Elwynn, Durotar, Dun Morogh, etc. Nothing too fancy, just a nice small villa in that race's style.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by navssurtani View Post
    I've been thinking about this as a possible feature that could be implemented in time. I know that for WoD there are only going to be garrisons in Draenor and that's cool since the game designers will need to put in designated 'slots' or so to speak for them. However, I was wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to eventually be able to have our garrisons available throughout the whole of Azeroth?

Granted that there would need to be a revamp of the world to allow for the placement of these new garrisons and similar slots would have to be placed around. I think we can all accept that at some point there will be a complete overhaul of the old world map again for a particular expansion - so why not be able to keep our garrisons there? Almost inevitably, what happens is that there will be zones that are completely empty and nobody will ever really go there. Through the levelling process (for most of us) I'm pretty sure we got to really love a lot of the zones and would love to keep our garrison there. I'm assuming that we would almost always be able to get from our garrison to a city (port/hearth/etc) and then be able to travel to where we need to go.

I'm not saying that we should have garrisons on *every* zone in old world Azeroth - but it would be pretty cool to be able to have our housing all over the place. It would populate the world more and when other people do go through it - they see the garrisons 'showing off'. I also reckon that it could help solve lag problems since characters would be more spread out in theory.

What do you guys think? Also, where would you like to place your garrisons if you had unlimited choice?
    Well I think that having an island next to say Stormwind and Orgrimmar for an Azeroth (Guild) Garrison might be a legitimate option. Without much revamping.

Quote Originally Posted by redwitchy View Post
    I would totally put my garrison in Duskwood! Always loved the creepiness factor
    Put it there, make it look like a castle, have a hot night elf servant, you sleep in a tomb, everyone are spiders/werewolfs/bats

I'd definetly come with a hammer and a steak and yell "Your time has come dracula!"

What we need is the SWG type housing, best thing in a game ever.

If I had unlimited choice... guh.

That will depend whether or not there is an item separate from the Hearthstone that I can use to teleport to my garrison. If so... then Feralas or Grizzly Hills I think. Man, everybody always forgets about Feralas, one of the most incredible and oldest zones in the game. So awesome with its numerous Night Elf ruins and COLOSSAL trees...

If not, then it has to be somewhere I both really like, as well as being somewhat convenient... in which case, I'll probably still go with WoD's Tanaan Jungle, the jungle that would become Hellfire Peninsula. Maybe Shalozar, depending on WHERE in Shalozar it would be.

In Azeroth or in where ever we will be after WoD, I hope Garrisons become a persistent feature.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    If I had unlimited choice... guh.

That will depend whether or not there is an item separate from the Hearthstone that I can use to teleport to my garrison. If so... then Feralas or Grizzly Hills I think. Man, everybody always forgets about Feralas, one of the most incredible and oldest zones in the game. So awesome with its numerous Night Elf ruins and COLOSSAL trees...

If not, then it has to be somewhere I both really like, as well as being somewhat convenient... in which case, I'll probably still go with WoD's Tanaan Jungle, the jungle that would become Hellfire Peninsula. Maybe Shalozar, depending on WHERE in Shalozar it would be.
    Sholozar on a little beach at Rivers Heart would be the greatest thing ever. You couldn't fit the entire thing in there but I'd settle for a town hall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    Well I think that having an island next to say Stormwind and Orgrimmar for an Azeroth (Guild) Garrison might be a legitimate option. Without much revamping.
    I hope that they don't just put an island next to a single city for each faction. That will again force lag problems because there will be *everyone* on each island. I could buy into the idea if we can have the housing around *each* of the cities. That could make sense.

In terms of old zones I'd love to have something in Wintergrasp - near the frozen lake of Frost Sabres.

Deleted
    I hope that they don't just put an island next to a single city for each faction. That will again force lag problems because there will be *everyone* on each island. I could buy into the idea if we can have the housing around *each* of the cities. That could make sense.

In terms of old zones I'd love to have something in Wintergrasp - near the frozen lake of Frost Sabres.
    It's phased? Therefore people are actually in different phased zones?. Look just imagine a blank island several miles away from the main capital, but visable and give the guild complete control of it (Very unlikely). Give us the ability to terraform it slightly, make the island expansive, give us what garrison will give us in WoD and build on it. There's so much potential of building your own customizable fortress. I mean yeah all of the above is pretty unlikely, but if somebody proposed the idea of a Garrison to me a couple of years ago I'd say hell no!

Putting a Garrison into the already established Azeroth world is pretty hard because they'd have to put stuff out and I'm pretty sure they won't do that. As I said giving us a relatively big island of the coast of our two capital cities would be the best option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post
    It's phased? Therefore people are actually in different phased zones?. Look just imagine a blank island several miles away from the main capital, but visable and give the guild complete control of it (Very unlikely). Give us the ability to terraform it slightly, make the island expansive, give us what garrison will give us in WoD and build on it. There's so much potential of building your own customizable fortress. I mean yeah all of the above is pretty unlikely, but if somebody proposed the idea of a Garrison to me a couple of years ago I'd say hell no!

Putting a Garrison into the already established Azeroth world is pretty hard because they'd have to put stuff out and I'm pretty sure they won't do that. As I said giving us a relatively big island of the coast of our two capital cities would be the best option.
    Agreed that it would be a big undertaking. I mentioned on my original post that I reckon at some point there will be a full overhaul of the old world. I'm not saying that it will be on the next expansion, but I reckon it's likely that an overhaul will happen. I agree that housing in the whole world will be very unlikely, something that would go down well though.

The part about making the garrison guild owned; I recall alluding to something like that on a thread a few months ago. I mentioned that it would be nice, instead of housing in the world, that there is a designated guild house in each city that is phased. Since the devs seem to be pushing the player housing as opposed to guild housing I reckon it's not so likely. I don't really have any issues with having garrisons on an island near the cities - as long as it's not limited to just SW/Org. It would be nice to have some choice as to where we place the housing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Styx1992 View Post
    I'd definetly come with a hammer and a steak and yell "Your time has come dracula!"
    Time to tenderize a beef steak?

Deleted
    Agreed that it would be a big undertaking. I mentioned on my original post that I reckon at some point there will be a full overhaul of the old world. I'm not saying that it will be on the next expansion, but I reckon it's likely that an overhaul will happen. I agree that housing in the whole world will be very unlikely, something that would go down well though.

The part about making the garrison guild owned; I recall alluding to something like that on a thread a few months ago. I mentioned that it would be nice, instead of housing in the world, that there is a designated guild house in each city that is phased. Since the devs seem to be pushing the player housing as opposed to guild housing I reckon it's not so likely. I don't really have any issues with having garrisons on an island near the cities - as long as it's not limited to just SW/Org. It would be nice to have some choice as to where we place the housing.
    Well uhmm. Undercity, Darnassus, Org, Stormwind are all near the ocean so all of these could work. Or replace Undercity with Silvermoon.