Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    the great majority of Wow players are stoked about the next xpac, dont let all the whiners on this forum convince you otherwise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    I will tell you what is gonna happen. For the sake of simplification, lets create an entity. Let's call it "The Next Expansion". Forget it is Warlords of Draenor, and instead pretend it is your favorite theme, be it the return of the Burning Legion, Old Gods, Arthas 2.0, you name it.

"The Next Expansion" will follow the same pattern as the previous expansions... Numbers will rise at the launch, maybe even rise tremendously... And then right after subs will fall again. And the number will fluctuate, up and down, as patches come and go. And the end of "The Next Expansion", numbers will be lower than they were at the begining of "The Next Expansion".

The truth is, no matter how good "The Next Expansion" is, whatever the theme, subs will continue to drop. Why? Simple, the game is old, the playerbase has grown and gotten responsibillities, MMOs don't atract the same attention as in the past, there are too many other videogames to compete with WoW.

However, those that decide to stay will deffinitely have a great time. Because the game just keeps getting better and better.
    Eve Online still gains players afaik and its as old as wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Wait until we get to the end of WoD to compare it to MoP.

IIRC MoP had almost no dislikes when it was first revealed.
    Revisionist history up the wazoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0

Most of those came from the reveal day. It was probably 60% dislikes. Tons of people I know are coming back specifically FOR Warlords because "it's Warcraft and not cuddly pandas." Regardless of the fact that WE know that Mists was a good expansion, many people were turned off. People need to brush up on their history.

Eve Online still gains players afaik and its as old as wow.
    Does "Regression Towards the Mean" mean anything to you people?

How about "Free to Play?"
    Last edited by Grimmer; 2013-11-12 at 08:51 PM.

Literally nobody was mad or called anybody a kung fu panda.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Likes on youtube, means fuck all.
    it represents the general public. If 10x as many (like minded) people would have seen the trailer. The proportional difference would have been the same. Blizzard hasn't started marketing it yet(TV etc) though. When it does it should be generally received better

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    Only a fraction of those views represent people who liked or disliked it. Also, you have to account for whether those views are players or not.

Short end of it, no, youtube likes are not statistically indicative of any accurate measurement of reception.
    Did Blizzard somehow manage to use subliminal messaging to deter the people who disliked the video from actually disliking it, we will never know!

Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    Statistically speaking, those videos have more then enough views to draw the conclusions the OP has made.
    Not really, whilst some people will rate the videos based on their feelings towards WOW it still does not change the fact the ratings are based on whether people like the videos not the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamran View Post
    Youtube likes are statistically indicative of youtube user's reception. Thanks for trying tho
    lol.

Technically you could probably put that on a mass-scale. It's in no way shape or form indicative of the mass-population of wow's opinions. But typically when you have those kinds of numbers if you did show the wow population and had everyone like or dislike it'd probably come out to be within ~3-6% of what it is now just on a larger scale.

It does have 2 million views, those are of course people watching it more than once, but I doubt it's all players.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    Revisionist history up the wazoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0

Most of those came from the reveal day. It was probably 60% dislikes. Tons of people I know are coming back specifically FOR Warlords because "it's Warcraft and not cuddly pandas." Regardless of the fact that WE know that Mists was a good expansion, many people were turned off. People need to brush up on their history.

Does "Regression Towards the Mean" mean anything to you people?

How about "Free to Play?"

I can honestly see that being the case. MoP turned people off that just look at the front-face value and judge the book by it's cover and they were like nope. I am optimistic about the next xpac. Especially once we get the sub numbers, I think it's going to sky-rocket by A LOT. I do feel like we haven't seen a lot of the xpac. I hope they continue to churn out major features for xpacs once they've finished ironing out all the current kinks.

Not switching the talent system up is great, not having to squish next xpac and not having to update models, and not having to change gear itemization etc. will allow for a lot of other stuff to be produced. I find this xpac to more-so be the "let's fix WoW and update it" xpac. And I think that's what it needs. Despite there may not seem to be as many new features, but there really is a lot there. We have continuation of previous expansion features like MoP scenarios etc.

I'm excited, I know a lot of others are. And I have high hopes that the sub numbers will hit 9-10m peak when the xpac releases and slowly fall from there.
    Last edited by Vynestra; 2013-11-13 at 09:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    " Regardless of the fact that WE know that Mists was a good expansion, many people were turned off.

Yea "we" don't know that. The 4.6 million who left during the expansion (and more to come) don't know that.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

If the MMO-C community is a reflection of the total player base that plays WoW it's 1/3 of players (last I checked) do not like WoD. I'm gonna say the MMO-C makes up a small fraction of WoW players and doesn't reflect those players as a whole, neither does Youtube likes and dislikes. I think a good portion of players are upset, I hope they are noticed and it sends ripples in Blizzard and they make changes to the xpac before launch to make players happy. I unsubbed just so my voice could be heard about not liking the xpac idea. All it would take for me to come back and over look all the dumb crap is account wide secondary professions, a new class, a profession catch up system, have alts be able to be used in the garrison system as NPCs you can send on missions and share your mains Garrison, and finally have all your characters on one character select page, and be able to log into any server want with CRZ, unless that server is at a high population stage then you can't visit there, so this will provide players the freedom to move around servers freely and not be stuck on dead servers, or play on a dead server if they wanna hunt rares.

15+ Year Old Account

The moment the trailer was on YT I downvoted it

"Omg blizzard is copying Kung fu panda Q.Q threads"
    THE FORUM WERE DESTROYED
    THE ONLY time I've seen it worse was when Athene was banned and THAT was HELL ON EARTH

10+ Year Old Account

...you are remembering that very, VERY incorrectly...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    The moment the trailer was on YT I downvoted it
    Same, but I decided to give the game a chance and got the 10 day trial.
    Guess what, 2 days after I uninstalled WoW completely.

I will tell you what is gonna happen. For the sake of simplification, lets create an entity. Let's call it "The Next Expansion". Forget it is Warlords of Draenor, and instead pretend it is your favorite theme, be it the return of the Burning Legion, Old Gods, Arthas 2.0, you name it.

"The Next Expansion" will follow the same pattern as the previous expansions... Numbers will rise at the launch, maybe even rise tremendously... And then right after subs will fall again. And the number will fluctuate, up and down, as patches come and go. And the end of "The Next Expansion", numbers will be lower than they were at the begining of "The Next Expansion".

The truth is, no matter how good "The Next Expansion" is, whatever the theme, subs will continue to drop. Why? Simple, the game is old, the playerbase has grown and gotten responsibillities, MMOs don't atract the same attention as in the past, there are too many other videogames to compete with WoW.

However, those that decide to stay will deffinitely have a great time. Because the game just keeps getting better and better.
    I dunno bout you bro, but if I wanted to play Farmville, PokeWoW or The Sims/SimCity I can now just log into World of Warcraft and play them all!!!!!!! lol.

I don't know one person that is thrilled for this expansion. The responses I have from my friends ranges between "I'm on the fence." and "Really more reused content? I'm not coming back to redo Outlands."

I know, it's called hype.

If we have 8 million views on youtube and we have 60k people that has liked/disliked the video/theme, in any statistical circumstance thats a representative selection. A country like Norway, with a population of 5 million, usually have around 2060 people representing them in political/product/etc. poll. Those poll participants are selected so that they roughly represent the layout of the demographic. Those polls are also very accurate when they are measured, say after an election.

Analyzing the OP's Likes/dislikes ratio, any person who has studied statistics would say that's a representative selection. When looking at the sub number loss, the 31k dislikes show that half of the playerbase do not like the theme and that alot of that group would actually quit the game based on the theme alone. You could break it up into 3 groups really: Like, hate and don't care. 4 million subs lost since the reveal is a clear indicator that is correct. 4000000/11000000= 0.3636 = 36,36% sub loss, that's a bit over a third of the WoW population. Statistically those like/dislike ratios are correct and a good indicator as to what would happen sub wise.

I actually looked at those after the reveal of MoP and made a prediction of 28% sub loss based on data available at the time of Blizzcon and calculated that 11000000*0,72= 7920000. My predictions was that just below 8 million players would be there at the start of the next expansion. Based on the corrected data you can clearly see that prediction was too careful. It might not be though.

I am currently implementing the data on WoD available into my excel spreadsheet and will start analytically predict what will happen. As far as I am now I am calculating MoP will end at 6.8M and will gain in the range of 20-30% range. Not done with the model yet though, but current prediction is: 6.8*1.26= 8704000, that prediction will of course be adjusted when more data is collected, but so far we know far too little about the game to see accurate statistical data, as proved by my Blizzcon 2011 prediction.

Would love for other stat nerds to chip in on this discussion with their numbers. The more numbers we have the more accurately we are able to predict if this is well received by the fans or not. The conclusion on MoP, speaking of raw statistical data is: The expansion was a complete and utter disaster and cannot in any way be defended as something else. It doesn't matter what subjective opinions say about it, the objective, raw data clearly say it's the worst expansion WoW has had and one of the worst in video games history. In raw numbers that is.

Personal opinion: Once I got over the mismatch between Pandaria and the rest of the WoW universe, the actual game wasn't bad, it just didn't appeal to me personally.

Deleted

This pretty much sums it up.

The only bad thing for me is that my computer is shit and it can barely handle 10man, so if I want to enjoy Mythic I'll have to buy me a new one. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    I know, it's called hype.
    No, the downvotes are called kneejerk reactions from people not getting the Burning Legion/Naga expansion they wanted.

C wut I did thar?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Looking at my realid list alone, a lot of people that I raided with in cataclysm have resubbed and are leveling again in prep for the next expansion.