Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Driverless cars - Good or Bad idea?

Interesting article I found on this subject. I read about this a while back, and I know that certain cities like parts of LA, Ann Arbor MI and a few other cities are testing driver-less cars in their cities. I personally think that this is a great idea, and honestly a real solution for issues such as traffic jams and distracted drivers that are plaguing our roads today. What are your thoughts?

Link to article:
    http://michiganradio.org/post/driver...ann-arbor-2021

Link to successful highway driving of driverless car:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfOEVPLs5cY

I'd wait with buying one until they work out the kinks...

Deleted
    Going by the incredibly crappy drivers in Wales- they can only be a good thing!

My last job was to stand at a roundabout by tescos with a control camera to show out of 1000 cars over a weekend, only 2 went around the roundabout the correct fashion

(that included reversing around the roundabout!)

Can't be any worse than the cars with drivers on the road today.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Sure. Ofcourse they would go at 50 kmph.

15+ Year Old Account
    best idea ever, though it would be a hit because 90% of my job has todo with car accidents
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I favor upgrading and expanding mass transit systems over adding even more cars to the hiways and byways.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I'd wait with buying one until they work out the kinks...
    As opposed to the kinks in the current system, like for example, not leaving the control system in sleep mode long enough every day can result in crashes?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Awesome idea, especially for people that can't drive for some reason.

Deleted
    It's a good idea hands down, I will miss driving myself though.

Deleted
    Surely none of these cares would ever be completely Driverless? More... Semi-Driverless? Too many variables that require manual attention.. Parking in a crappy carpark, avoiding damaging pot holes at speeds, roadworks.

Lean back, drink coffee, watch a TV-show and wait until your car takes you wherever you it is you're off to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually like driving so it's not a tech I am raring to use, but I think it's a good idea generally.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

if its optional sure, personally i like to drive still

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Surely none of these cares would ever be completely Driverless? More... Semi-Driverless? Too many variables that require manual attention.. Parking in a crappy carpark, avoiding damaging pot holes at speeds, roadworks.
    If done correctly none of that would matter. Driveless cars would be scanning the road and avoid object/holes and be able to make millimeter exact parking. There would actually be MORE space at parking lots with automatic parking, because crappy drivers wouldn't take up to much space.

I dislike driving so this is good. Tough luck for it coming to Eastern Europe anytime soon though.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Awesome idea problem is that the jackasesses that need them most wont bother buying them

- - - Updated - - -

Unless they make a law that forbids driving regular cars after x accidents within y dayss
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I think it's a great idea. It takes away the human flaw from driving, which is the cause of most of the accidents. Even though I love driving myself, something like this can't come soon enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    If done correctly none of that would matter. Driveless cars would be scanning the road and avoid object/holes and be able to make millimeter exact parking. There would actually be MORE space at parking lots with automatic parking, because crappy drivers wouldn't take up to much space.
    Okay, say... You arrive at a very large carpark and you can see the last empty carparking space at the other end of the carpark. Now, you can either manually drive to it and be on your way, or you can let your driverless car drive up and down, scanning every spot to see if it is empty, wasting alot of fuel and time. Which would you prefer then?

Already upgraded past good idea to "obvious".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.