Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj_cW...ature=html5_3d

Just gonna leave this here.

If it weren't for manual override he would be dead. :/
    Would have made a bad ending... XD
    I too base all my evaluations of technology on popular movies.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

In the long-term, this is an excellent idea, and it is the future. There are many terrible drivers and when you factor in old people, teens who think they are so awesome because they are driving a car, drunks/texters and just plain assholes....there are lots of people that shouldn't be driving and this would do wonders, not that I expect it to be flawless and incident free technology anytime soon. In the short-term however....eh, I'm not convinced it's anywhere close yet. I've seen quite a few videos of different cars, google is sponsoring one I believe, and it's definitely impressive shit. But I'm curious, for example, how one of these things would drive in the snow. My guess is they would all fail miserably. There are lots of conditions that an actual good driver can make up for that current AI in these things doesn't stand a chance of matching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some interesting statistics:

24% of American drivers surf the internet while driving.
    24% are reading email while driving
    16% are replying to email while driving
    17% are using social media (facebook, twitter, etc.) while driving
    35% text while driving

If those numbers don't make you think that removing humans from the driving stuff would be a good idea, I'm not sure what will.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Some interesting statistics:

24% of American drivers surf the internet while driving.
    24% are reading email while driving
    16% are replying to email while driving
    17% are using social media (facebook, twitter, etc.) while driving
    35% text while driving

If those numbers don't make you think that removing humans from the driving stuff would be a good idea, I'm not sure what will.
    Seems more like a call for mandatory cell jammers in every car....

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Seems more like a call for mandatory cell jammers in every car....
    Ever notice how interesting the signs of sinus infection posters are in the doctors office? You know the ones with the silly picture of a sour throat and a cut away of human sinuses. They are so awesome because they are bored. Most people are bored with driving and they look for any kind of escape they can find. People will always find something to entertain themselves with while driving. Either texting, fiddling with radio presets, or even just spacing out.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

We know that planes have auto-pilot functionality. We also know that most plane crashes are caused by pilots. We know that an auto-piloted plane is safer than a manually piloted plane. Would you go on a plane with no pilot? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    In the long-term, this is an excellent idea, and it is the future. There are many terrible drivers and when you factor in old people, teens who think they are so awesome because they are driving a car, drunks/texters and just plain assholes....there are lots of people that shouldn't be driving and this would do wonders, not that I expect it to be flawless and incident free technology anytime soon. In the short-term however....eh, I'm not convinced it's anywhere close yet. I've seen quite a few videos of different cars, google is sponsoring one I believe, and it's definitely impressive shit. But I'm curious, for example, how one of these things would drive in the snow. My guess is they would all fail miserably. There are lots of conditions that an actual good driver can make up for that current AI in these things doesn't stand a chance of matching.
    Why do people keep bringing up weather conditions? As long as there are sufficient sensors (both in quantity and variety), weather would pose a computer fewer problems than it does to human drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Why do people keep bringing up weather conditions? As long as there are sufficient sensors (both in quantity and variety), weather would pose a computer fewer problems than it does to human drivers.
    Yeah they keep bringing up snow and other bad weather and I keep thinking of anti-lock brakes. Cars already can detect variations in wheel traction. Why would they not be able to do the same plus monitor lane position, as well as make instantaneous corrections 100% of the time where a driver will lag and have lapses of attention?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted

If the front "truck" had just hit the brake when it was infront of him he would have died.

Don't assume logic counts in hollywood movies, most often they take the dumb route that looks better. It's the same reason the bad guys can't shoot for shit despite being ex-special forces!

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I dislike driving so this is good. Tough luck for it coming to Eastern Europe anytime soon though.
    Or for it to even be legal outside of america
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

10+ Year Old Account

Robot assassins is your argument?
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Exactly. I computer will be able to analyse road conditions and apply corrections based on that analysis FAR faster and more precise than a person ever will.

The only issue I can think of is perhaps some sort of sensor or position reporting error because of stuff (snow) obscuring part or all of the road. I guess that really depends on what information is needed in order for the automation to know where on the road you are.
    Sure the sensor issues, but I feel like when this become reality, it will rely more on a "honey bee pheromone" style reaction analysis moreso than relying on individual "oh shit deer in the road.. slam on the brakes" reaction. The car a mile back already knows that the deer went by. The car that should have slammed on his breaks saw the deer before it came out of the woods.