Clarify Nazgrim Defensive Stance Dmg

I was reading up for my mage and found out that their application of bombs(NT/LB/FB) doesn't generate rage, because it is ONLY dots that do dmg when applied, so pretty much every DoT that does not cause damage upon application can be safely done. Can any one confirm this, is this 100% accurate?

All I knew was that dots applied before def stance DO NOT generate rage when their ticks happen during stance, pets attacking during def stance DO NOT generate rage BUT the application of NEW dots during def stance WILL generate rage.

Pets, guardians or dot's which did not do any dmg when applied do not increase Nazgrim Rage bar.
    Last edited by JV Chequer; 2013-11-14 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Methens View Post
    I was reading up for my mage and found out that their application of bombs(NT/LB/FB) doesn't generate rage, because it is ONLY dots that do dmg when applied, so pretty much every DoT that does not cause damage upon application can be safely done. Can any one confirm this, is this 100% accurate?

All I knew was that dots applied before def stance DO NOT generate rage when their ticks happen during stance, pets attacking during def stance DO NOT generate rage BUT the application of NEW dots during def stance WILL generate rage.
    Can you confirm this? If so, more reason to play affliction on nazgrim.

Deleted
    If you apply dots during def stance it generates 2 rage I think, it might be 0, either way soulswapping all dots is definitely worth it. Dot ticks does not generate rage.

applying dots give rage. The dot ticks themselves do not

sb:sw generates rage, or maybe thats from the legendary proc, or the trinket proc
    dots itself don't do anything, pet is the same

so refresh dots at 2sec left and do the adds like your raidleader told you, and the bowz will die

edit: sb:sw does "DMG" not a lot but still does^^
    maybe adding dots without it works, not to sure and i don't wana rist a wype just to try out

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkminaz View Post
    edit: sb:sw does "DMG" not a lot but still does^^
    maybe adding dots without it works, not to sure and i don't wana rist a wype just to try out
    When you apply dots with SB:SW it generates 2 rage, which shouldn't matter too much and you gain a lot of boss damage.

2 rage from 3-4 locks is still 6-8 rage, but ill ask my raidleader if that is ok. I mean the boss dies anyway, 10-20sec faster or not ..
    still would be cool to push dps a bit more ^^

Well, during a test on 10 man heroic, I was able to apply dots without generating any rage. On two different circunstances, I did it and his rage did not changed for 3 or 4 secs, giving me a good margin of certainty.

And yes, the dots were already rolling on boss, so that was a refresh

Did you apply them individually, or did you SB:SW them on?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcherry View Post
    ^This
    It's not that hard to understand. Every single harmful action against Nazgrim during Defensive Stance, no matter if it's a white hit, a fireball, or even a non damaging spell like curse of the elements, will trigger his rage generation. This effect hower has an internal CD to prevent enormous amounts of rage gained from one specific class (say a fast hitting melee didn't notice boss is in def stance).
    Effects that have been applied and have another effect being triggered from the initial application do not trigger rage every time their effect triggers (easiest example: DoTs. Rage is gained upon applying them, but not from every single DoT ticks).
    Pets, guardians, etc. are also an exception and do not trigger his rage gain during def stance.

This explanation should cover pretty much every possible situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crysilaero View Post
    Well, during a test on 10 man heroic, I was able to apply dots without generating any rage. On two different circunstances, I did it and his rage did not changed for 3 or 4 secs, giving me a good margin of certainty.

And yes, the dots were already rolling on boss, so that was a refresh
    If one of your mates has failed and triggered his rage gain and you refresh your dots shortly after that, his rage amount will not change, because your mate has already triggered the ability's internal CD.

Quote Originally Posted by JV Chequer View Post
    Pets, guardians or dot's which did not do any dmg when applied do not increase Nazgrim Rage bar.
    So a dot that does damage when applied will increase nazgrim's rage bar... every time it does damage? or only when applied?

Using immolate as an example:
    Burns the enemy for 502 (+ 47% of Spell power) Fire damage and then an additional 2510 (+ 235% of Spell power) Fire damage over 15 sec.
    Can I use immolate 2 seconds before def stance to do damage during def stance without the additional rage?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcherry View Post
    All dots? Or only dots doing damage when applied?

Edit: Now i'm just more confused than before this thread

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spookyy View Post
    If one of your mates has failed and triggered his rage gain and you refresh your dots shortly after that, his rage amount will not change, because your mate has already triggered the ability's internal CD.
    Yay for internal cooldowns, giving everybody in LFR a reason to dps in def stance ever since that one huntard didn't stop dps
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Deleted
    When applied during defensive stance, something like immolate definitely generates rage but the following dot doesn't. With affliction and demo dots I'm not so sure about the application as I've only played those specs on him in normal progress when we just did nothing during defensive, but I've been told they don't generate any rage at all.

In any case, if your group isn't having issues with his rage but is having trouble with boss damage, you're better off reapplying pretty much any and every dot you can during defensive stance, regardless of whether it generates 2 rage on hit or not. Most, if not all of the rest of your dps will not be attacking him so the group may be relying on you to still be hurting him for that minute.
    Last edited by mmoc2503427504; 2013-11-16 at 01:02 PM.

Deleted
    When we progressed on it i was playing destruction tho.. and i REALLY feel its better.. with around 25% dmg done in 10 man i was rocking the meters as Destro!

My RL told me to fire off CB every time it would do more than 1m on the boss(any trinket proc) in DEF stance. that made the execute phase alot smoother :P

Havoc Shadowburn to get those adds down faster, since u swim in embers i would recommend Sac on this fight.

Dno if this helps just thought i would post my experience from the boss.

Deleted
    OR you can refresh dots 2 sec before he switches to def stance. :P

Quote Originally Posted by spookyy View Post
    ^This
    It's not that hard to understand. Every single harmful action against Nazgrim during Defensive Stance, no matter if it's a white hit, a fireball, or even a non damaging spell like curse of the elements, will trigger his rage generation. This effect hower has an internal CD to prevent enormous amounts of rage gained from one specific class (say a fast hitting melee didn't notice boss is in def stance).
    Effects that have been applied and have another effect being triggered from the initial application do not trigger rage every time their effect triggers (easiest example: DoTs. Rage is gained upon applying them, but not from every single DoT ticks).
    Pets, guardians, etc. are also an exception and do not trigger his rage gain during def stance.

This explanation should cover pretty much every possible situation.
    This guy is right and answers that contradict him/her are wrong.

Thanks for the answer.

Does a shamans fire totem gain rage for each cast?