Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Time to talk about gap closer

With all this talk about new talents, I don't see anything to improve Retributions ability to close the gap. I know a lot of you are going to say L2P and everything, but no it's bad. Both for PvP and PvE. In PvP it's bad, and in PvE it's especially bad. Specifically in Heroic raids, where you often have to switch targets and chase after something. Out of combat mobility is also terrible, cause Rets best choice is Long Arm of the Law, and if there's nothing to hit then you don't run you stroll.

Either Ret needs it's own gap closer, or the level 15 talents need major improvements. I just don't see topics or complaints about this, as I think it should be our top issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahaha, I remember the gap closer madness..

Are you serious, though?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Hahahaha, I remember the gap closer madness..

Are you serious, though?

Well yes, at the moment warriors got charge
    yes I do know we have range utility but there are cases of fights where we basicly need to spec into AOE damage (Dark Shamans to name one)
    where we sacrifice our long-range Exorcism for a melee range exorcism that does aoe damage. name one class that has to do this choice.

And I prefer the Speed of Light talent over Long Arm of the law due it's RNG factor.
    Pursuit of Justice is simply stupid and needs rework if anything make it a charge, I don't give two flying flapps if a warrior gets up set, they will still beat ous in DPS anyway once they well enough get in there oh and they have leap so shut up.

and hunters should stay in hunter forums ;3.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I agree. I simply think it should just be a Ret version of speed of light though. Even with a 25 second CD or something it would be really nice, without stepping on other classes toes. (Warriors can keep their 12 second mobility and DK's can keep their position-altering gap closer as important part of their classes). We don't need to have the best one, we just need one, and if we had both LAOTL and it, it would be pretty OP.

They should give us some abilities that the Crusader will have in D3. Steed Charge (Charge, in theory anyway)? Falling Sword (Heroic Leap)? Yes please.

Deleted
    Yes please give paladins a sensible gap closure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I second this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I simply think it should just be a Ret version of speed of light though. Even with a 25 second CD or something it would be really nice, without stepping on other classes toes. (Warriors can keep their 12 second mobility and DK's can keep their position-altering gap closer as important part of their classes). We don't need to have the best one, we just need one, and if we had both LAOTL and it, it would be pretty OP.
    A good Ret only ability would be something without a cool down, but uses Holy Power.

Crusader's Charge

Paladin runs at 70% movement speed for 2 secs per holy power, at a maximum of 3 holy power. Holy Power only increase time not speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    A good Ret only ability would be something without a cool down, but uses Holy Power.

Crusader's Charge

Paladin runs at 70% movement speed for 2 secs per holy power, at a maximum of 3 holy power. Holy Power only increase time not speed.
    why would it be deemed a "good ability" ?
    because it burns through our most prescious resource?
    Give up your dreams, man.

Ret will never have a real, actual, one-button gap closer, sure as sure.

Deleted
    we must be immune to movement impairing effect and magic damage while we judge! we are paladin and when we judge nobody should stop that! the light is always the truth

Quote Originally Posted by pgr View Post
    we must be immune to movement impairing effect and magic damage while we judge! we are paladin and when we judge nobody should stop that! the light is always the truth
    and it will not solve none of our problems.
    We have actually good sustained mobility, i.e. we are constantly on the move.
    Our problem lies in inability to move instantly to out target.

Crusader's Charge

So nerfed speed of light?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperviable View Post
    So nerfed speed of light?
    Feel free to throw ideas around. It seems Blizzard likes the idea that Paladins don't get an instant gap closer, but just runs really fast.

Feel free to throw ideas around. It seems Blizzard likes the idea that Paladins don't get an instant gap closer, but just runs really fast.
    How bout "Long arm of no charge for you!" increases runspeed by 100% for 2 seconds?

Why do you need one? Speed of Light does the job fine, though a shorter CD could be nice. Let's see...warriors have a charge and Heroic Leap. DKs have death grip. We have SoL. Shaman have ghost wolf/spirit walk (enh)...rogues...shadowstep, if they talent, and sprint. Druids have Wild Charge and dash...

Conclusion: Not every (melee) class has an instant gap closer, but they all have either a gap closer or a movement speed increase (with 2 having the possibility of both).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Why do you need one? Speed of Light does the job fine, though a shorter CD could be nice. Let's see...warriors have a charge and Heroic Leap. DKs have death grip. We have SoL. Shaman have ghost wolf/spirit walk (enh)...rogues...shadowstep, if they talent, and sprint. Druids have Wild Charge and dash...

Conclusion: Not every (melee) class has an instant gap closer, but they all have either a gap closer or a movement speed increase (with 2 having the possibility of both).
    oh so much wrong in here...

Lets compare every melee' spec gap closure tools w/o talents included shall we?
    Just so we're clear.

Warriors have : charge, leap, intervene
    Dk's: Death Grip
    Druids: Feral charge, Dash, Stealth(Yes I DO include stealth as it allows you to pounce on your enemy)
    Shamans: Ghost Wolf sprint
    Rogues: Sprint, Stealth
    Monks: chi torpedo, mana torpedo, whatever the feth torpedo, I dont actually give a flying gak torpedo
    Paladins: . . . Emancipate?. .

You get the idea?
    Do you really want to compare talented gap closure abilities?
    Do you realise Rets actually have to pick talents just so they become a somewhat proper melee spec?
    Last edited by Morally Grey Storm; 2013-11-13 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Why do you need one? Speed of Light does the job fine, though a shorter CD could be nice.
    Cause it's not, and you even gave some input on lowering the cool down in the same sentence. It's OK but could be better?

The problems with our mobility is different for PvP and PvE. We don't have mobility talents unless we spec into them. Freedom and Emancipate are just to allow us to keep moving, not a quick way to close the gap. In PvP these talents are essential, but in many ways we're fighting a downhill battle. Freedom works great, until you're stunned or purged. Remember this expansion is all about stuns and cc, which just overwhelm our mobility.

In PvE it's about target switching, which Freedom and Emancipate are rarely if ever used. You're entirely reliant on Tier 15 talents. Speed of Light is, as you said, too long of a cool down. Long Arm of the Law is really good, but hardly makes us mobile enough. Pursuit of Justice is just bad, and if there's one thing that developers should do is just remove that talent with something decent.

Things get far worse when you have to stop and cast. Which is why Ret hardly ever uses Repentance or Evil is a Point of View. Cause anytime you have to stop to cast, you're wasting precious uptime on your target. In PvP, a small distance is all anyone needs to keep you in control. Our mobility is such a problem that we ignore 2 out of 3 of our Tier 30 talents. Almost all Rets choose Fist of Justice for PvP and probably PvE too. So yea, it's bad.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2013-11-13 at 07:05 PM.

My point is, while we don't have any instant gap closers, we do have an ability (albeit a talent, and not baseline) that fills the role - and while it is a talent, it still puts us in a similar state as other melee (some still have more than others). Speaking from a PvE perspective (though, prot more than ret, so maybe I'm missing something you ret players see), SoL is sufficient - the only reason I had mentioned a shorter cd is because there are those rare times when SoL is close to off CD but not quite when you need it - more of a QoL issue than a necessity.

As far as "We don't have mobility talents unless we spec into them"....well, what, are you going to leave that tier empty? I mean, sure, others get something baseline, but we still get mobility, and not only that, we get to choose just what type of mobility we want. Sure, PoJ is pretty lame, but SoL is great for high bursts of speed on a moderate CD, and LAotL is good for moderate speed boosts more frequently. Adding in stuns (PvP, sometimes PvE) and slows (maybe PvP) and yes, it becomes mostly a L2P issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine a blink-like spell, where you use holy stuff to appear at your targets location, dazing them for a sec or two. Would be cool..
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Imagine a blink-like spell, where you use holy stuff to appear at your targets location, dazing them for a sec or two. Would be cool..
    Ah yes, blink...falling through the world (of warcraft) since 2004