Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Can priests tank heal?

Hey guys my guild is reforming and was wondering if we 100% have to have a pally to heal tanks. We have a solid disc/rshammy/druid. Do we 100% need to have a pally or can a disc do the job?

ty in advance.

Since WotLK every single healing spec is capable of tank and raid healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    Since WotLK every single healing spec is capable of tank and raid healing.
    Some specs do it better than others. Resto Druids and Resto Shamans are better raid healers than Holy Paladins and Disc Priests, for example. OP's raid comp is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Some specs do it better than others. Resto Druids and Resto Shamans are better raid healers than Holy Paladins and Disc Priests, for example. OP's raid comp is fine.
    Not really, just easier.

Currently Divine Insight is the most broken thing in the world for tank healing. If for some reason all you had to do was tank heal, you could spec into DI and literally

Penance PW: S GH / atonement depending penance PW: S penance

It's quite broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Not really, just easier.
    This. The separation between tank healing and raid healing is long dead. ATM the only difference would be between mitigation healers (disc / holy paladin) and raw output healers (e.g. rdruid, rshaman). If your absorption healers failed to mitigate damage, then yes, it might be easier for raw output healers to bring the raid back up. If the absorption healers succeed at mitigating damaage, then there's no need to bring the raid back up and therefore they're performing better as raid healers.

In the end, every healing spec has its own very useful toolkit. What you want to do is to diversify your healing comp so your healers' toolkits can synergize. E.g., it'd suck very very much to heal 10man H malkorok with two disc priests, or to heal H shamans with two raw output healers. It can be done, yes, but it'll be stressful.

Now a days no healer ever focuses on healing tanks unless range is an issue. 80% of tank damage can be healed through by passive and smart heals.

Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    Hey guys my guild is reforming and was wondering if we 100% have to have a pally to heal tanks. We have a solid disc/rshammy/druid. Do we 100% need to have a pally or can a disc do the job?

ty in advance.
    That's the same healing setup my group uses, we haven't run into any issues from our healers not being able to keep tanks/dps up...
    Our tanks rarely drop below 80% unless our Rshammy wants to use his mastery(I think its mastery) and even then its hard for us to drop.
    (Running Prot Pally/Blood DK(me) )

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Our tanks rarely drop below 80% unless our Rshammy wants to use his mastery(I think its mastery) and even then its hard for us to drop.
    (Running Prot Pally/Blood DK(me) )
    Thats good to know...we are actually using the exact same tank setup(im the pally) but I want to thank everyone for their input.

Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    Currently Divine Insight is the most broken thing in the world for tank healing. If for some reason all you had to do was tank heal, you could spec into DI and literally

Penance PW: S GH / atonement depending penance PW: S penance

It's quite broken.
    I used to dislike tank healing on Immersus until I just specced DI for it. (It's literally almost as easy as raid healing Sha of Pride on a shaman. Maybe easier. The shaman would still potentially have to dispel)

Deleted
    We are using a Disc priest / Holy priest / Shammy team and got a Boomkin with resto offspec incase one of the 3 healers cant make it with the disc being the DPS on 2 heal fights.

As people said, any class can tank heal or raid heal, specially with all the smart heals going on these days. For me as holy priest is serenity + gheal with my gear being focused on crit = easy 300k gheals or 600k when stacked 2set bonus.

With the setup you mentioned you already have a very strong healing team with an Arsenal of Smart Heals and hots, there is no need for a dedicated healer on the tanks with that amount of smart heals.

Can't wait till the day blizz makes these smart heals dumber so to speak...