Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    It is mind of silly you can't join. Normal bgs with locked Xp, they are 4 level brackets, does the competitiveness of them matter? I made a twink and then found out that locking my Xp means I can't actually pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    nobody plays twinks anymore
    No, you'd be surprised. I joined up and help start a 80 twink guild back before twinks got nuked in 5.4 and our main focus was getting herald of the titan. Once we enchanted(thanks to pre 5.4 600 OP profession enchants) and geared ourselves to the point where we could like 5-6 man it easily, then we focused on selling carries. There was a lot of money to be made then, especially on high pop servers.

After the major profession nerf to twinks in 5.4, it was harder to carry as many people as before and we finally just decided it was not longer worth it. Carrying 1-2 people a week was simply not worth it imo compared to 5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    2) re blizzard trying to accomodate twinks - how is sticking them in what they knew would be low-population per battlegroup queues accomodating them? Why was it necessary to segregate xp-on and xp-off pvp? accomodation would be letting them play with everyone else. Is this NewSpeak?
    Twinks frequently and publicly insisted that they twinked not to grief or gleefully slaughter players who couldn't fight back, but for "the challenge". Blizzard took them at their word and gave them their own battlegrounds to duke it out in. But as soon as twinking ceased to about one-shotting and graveyard camping, the twink population dried up. Accommodation did not mean (and should not mean) letting twinks grief the rest of the playerbase.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I would say the same reason everyone but that particular twink does. They take advantage of a system because they can't play the game the way it is supposed to be played. The whole but I only want 3 moves is a bullshit line. You simply can't handle pvp at max level when everyone has access to the same gear.

Twinks was never fun by waiting hours of queue. It's retarded right now...

10+ Year Old Account
    probably been said in this thread many times before, but here's why you have separate queues

1) Blizz announced XP in BGs
    2) Twinks demanded a way to disable XP so they don't level out and lose their progress
    3) Blizz puts in Besten and Slahts (or something like that), XP disable NPCs. One catch: XP disabled people go in their own battleground queues.
    4) flash forward to now, now you have people like OP complaining about no XP-Disabled queues.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Twinks frequently and publicly insisted that they twinked not to grief or gleefully slaughter players who couldn't fight back, but for "the challenge". Blizzard took them at their word and gave them their own battlegrounds to duke it out in. But as soon as twinking ceased to about one-shotting and graveyard camping, the twink population dried up. Accommodation did not mean (and should not mean) letting twinks grief the rest of the playerbase.
    as I commented earlier, the 'drying up' phenomenon was the twink population suddenly having to fully populate queues for each bracket simoltaneously on EACH BATTLEGROUP. of course it dried up - there were no mechanisms in place to get twink players to log onto their twinks at the same time, in the sambe battle group, in the same bracket, in the same battleground queue, etc.
    Not everyone plays the game at the same time, many if not most twink players had twinks in multiple brackets and also played max-level content of some sort or other and just being logged into the game doesn't mean their are on their twink(s)
    obviously not all players were in the same battle group,
    and not all players logged into twinks at the same time were the same level bracket,
    and not all of those who were the same level bracket would queue for the same bg's.

so you had to coordinate clock time to login to twink, twink level, battlegroup (which of course isn't something you coordinate wtihout a paid service xfer), and battlegrounds queued for. none of this had been relevant prior to 3.2

blizzard had to have an idea that getting xp-off queues to pop in most if not all battlegroups was going to be nearly impossible for players to coordinate.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2013-11-19 at 04:30 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    wait, are twinks still a thing?

does that mean people still dance to Disco and play Ataris?

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

10+ Year Old Account
    Twinks are little kids with magnifying glasses, and regular PvPers are ants.

10+ Year Old Account
    For years, since the beginning of WoW, twinks on the forums have claimed "We do it for the challenge, we'd LOVE to be able to only queue with other twinks, it's TOTALLY not all about ganking new players in crap gear who can't fight back!"

They get exactly what they asked for, and discover that no, it really WAS about destroying people who can't fight back all along, and most of them really WEREN'T ever interested in a fair fight... and in the meantime, those of us who have called bullshit on that claim from day one are laughing ourselves stupid.

I forget now who said it, but there was a quote from the old Blizz forums I always loved - Twinking is kinda like failing kindergarten until you're 21 and then bragging because you always win at dodgeball.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    For years, since the beginning of WoW, twinks on the forums have claimed "We do it for the challenge, we'd LOVE to be able to only queue with other twinks, it's TOTALLY not all about ganking new players in crap gear who can't fight back!"

I know right!?
    that argument failed even the most basic sniff test as anything other total bullshit

if they want a challenge shouldn't they be fighting naked? They should take the Iron Man Challenge, now that's a frickin' challenge.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    no one likes twinks.

its basically someone who gets off on making other people's lives miserable.

If you want to twink its because you want an unfair advantage. Go play on an equal footing, but it turns out that when people were made to do that, for some reason, everyone stopped twinking.....kind of conclusive proof that people only did it to be dicks,.

- - - Updated - - -

thats what pve is for.
    Pve is vs A I, and is boring as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    They get exactly what they asked for, and discover that no, it really WAS about destroying people who can't fight back all along, and most of them really WEREN'T ever interested in a fair fight... and in the meantime, those of us who have called bullshit on that claim from day one are laughing ourselves stupid.
    it is not clear to me that this was in any way established - what WAS established is that the twink population in 3.2 was not so broad that queues would pop for all or any bg's in all or any brackets in all or any battlegroups at any or a particular time of day.

so for north america, 13 (?) battlegroups x 22 possible bracket/battleground combos in 3.2 x min of 20 (wsg) and avg of more like 30-35 players for each queue to pop (faction balanced, of course). at that point you could queue for 2 battlegrounds, of course (this broke in 4.0).

given that the critical mass was dubious to begin with, once players found that xp-off for them usually or never popped, they would quit sitting logged on to their twink in queue and do something else with another char or out of game. It isn't like twink players were banned from having max level characters and activities outside of twinking (in fact it was often necessary to fund it).

I see a lot of emotional posts which seem basically envious or hateful of twinking, but none analyzing what was needed to get people to log in, sit in queue, etc., across so many bg/brackets and battlegroups during a clock-day. It seems painfully obvious that it would have taken many thousands of players evenly distributed across battlegroups, spread out over level brackets to constantly sit in queues to provide bg pops in xp-off. don't know what peak concurrent users were in late wotlk for western regions but if you assume na had between 2.5-3m TOTAL subs in late wotlk, and peak concurrent at peak hours might be a fiifth of that, and less than a tenth off-hours, you at times would need 2-3% or more of the logged-in players at that time evenly distributed across twink queues to get regular pops.

i remember leveling bracket bg's in wotlk and you would often be playing sequential games during peak hours with groups that were 50% of the same players/bots as your prior bg - clearly the leveling bracket bg population was never that big.

the 4.0 queue bug did a lot of make sure what should have been expanded populations for remainnig xp-off players actually had the opposite effect (and did the same for xp-on players too, the endless non-popping queue).

as far as ascribing a single motivation to all twink players, it is probably as accurate as ascribing a single motivation to ;casuals' or 'elites' or whatever other title you want to throw in there. Reality is a bit less of a comic-book story and a good bit more complex - in a group as large as the players of this game, many players engage in the same online activities for wildly varied reasons, goals, motivations, etc. I know this isn't useful for those wanting strawmen and emmanuel goldstein as twinks, but it is certainly a more realistic appraisal of matters.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2013-11-20 at 01:47 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.