Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I am disappoint, UKIP, I am disappoint.

I've been a long-time supporter of the UKIP and of promoting good governance in Britain and Europe. I even understand and support (to a degree) limiting immigration to Britain. What I am disappointed in, however, is that some of the UKIP brass keep whining about Slavic immigration to Britain. I'm a Slavophile, I absolutely love Russian and Slavic history and culture. I am even dedicating a large portion of my studies to Eastern European studies, and dream of someday working as a diplomat in Russia or Eastern Europe.

Even if some of the Slavic immigrants don't assimilate into British society, I'd view that as a small price to pay for this opportunity to study their culture in more depth and to build business and political connections.

tl;dr Stop singling out Bulgarians, Romanians and Slavs
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-11-13 at 03:01 PM.

Don't they have like 3 seats in the House of Lords (grand total of zero in the HoC)? Why does anyone really give a shit what the UKIP thinks right now?
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-11-13 at 06:06 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    The problem people have, myself included, is that the only Romanians we want are already eligible to come here on work visas anyway.

The last thing we need or want is an influx of unskilled and entry-level workers competing for the same jobs as our youth and unskilled work force.

So yeah, we ain't going to be getting much from this deal.

Too late to back out now though. The damage will be done by the time there is a referendum.

I'm jumping ship soon anyway. Can't fucking wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talks about wanting to be a diplomat and supposedly 'studies', yet can't even link anything of relevance to support his argument.

Abandon thread whilst you can!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I've been a long-time supporter of the UKIP
    [...]
    I'm a Slavophile
    Coincidence? i don't think so.

Just think that "slavic immigrants" means "roma", and not "upstanding, loyal and noble supporters of Putin's panslavism".
    So don't worry too much, the UKIP should still be good on your book.

ETA.- obviously, the Roma are not slavic, but the UKIP cannot call them the word they have in mind (gypsies) because that would be racist, so they make up some... indirect euphemism.
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2013-11-13 at 07:07 AM.

I'm a Slavophile, I absolutely love Russian and Slavic history and culture.
    I find that really hard to believe. If you did you probably would know that calling all Eastern Europeans Slavic is like calling all French, Spaniards, Italians and South Americans Latin. And Romanians don't even speak a Slavic language, so what about them? Slavism was just a tool used by Imperial Russia to take control of it's neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    ETA.- obviously, the Roma are not slavic, but the UKIP cannot call them the word they have in mind (gypsies) because that would be racist, so they make up some... indirect euphemism.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Blunkett.html

British cities could face race riots as an influx of Roma migrants creates “frictions” with local people, David Blunkett, a former home secretary has warned.
    Anti-social behaviour by Roma people in his Sheffield constituency has resulted in “understandable tensions” among the indigenous community that must be addressed to avert disorder, Mr Blunkett said.

Roma migrants from Slovakia must “change their culture” and send their children to school, stop dumping rubbish and loitering in the streets in order to soothe tensions, Mr Blunkett said.

Otherwise, the community could “explode” in the same way northern towns were rocked by disorder between Asian and white neighbourhoods in the summer of 2001, Mr Blunkett said.
    Naah, British politicians from both the Left and Right openly admit that they specifically don't want Roma migrants. They don't even try to sugar coat it anymore. It was fine in the last 10 years when they were getting Doctors, Nurses, Engineers, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    I find that really hard to believe. If you did you probably would know that calling all Eastern Europeans Slavic is like calling all French, Spaniards, Italians and South Americans Latin. And Romanians don't even speak a Slavic language, so what about them? Slavism was just a tool used by Imperial Russia to take control of it's neighbours.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-Blunkett.html

Naah, British politicians from both the Left and Right openly admit that they specifically don't want Roma migrants. They don't even try to sugar coat it anymore. It was fine in the last 10 years when they were getting Doctors, Nurses, Engineers, etc.
    If there's a demand for a skilled profession then by all means come over. If there isn't, don't. It's pretty simple and it goes for others as well, not just Romanians.

Like I said... The kinda Romanians we do want can already apply as skilled workers. We don't want or need unskilled and entry-level workers...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    If there's a demand for a skilled profession then by all means come over. If there isn't, don't. It's pretty simple and it goes for others as well, not just Romanians.

Like I said... The kinda Romanians we do want can already apply as skilled workers. We don't want or need unskilled and entry-level workers...
    Which is not what the OP was referring to. What you said applies, just as you said, to all workers, wherever they come from. If the UKIP specifically mentions "slavic immigrants", then there's a different agenda at work.

Otherwise, the community could “explode” in the same way northern towns were rocked by disorder between Asian and white neighbourhoods in the summer of 2001, Mr Blunkett said.
    They seriously had disturbances between Asian and "native" communities? That makes me less inclined to believe that the problem lies with the immigrants. It's sad, i lived in Sheffield for 9 months in the college-student bubble, and it's a lovely place.
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2013-11-13 at 09:23 AM.

I've been a long-time supporter of the UKIP and of promoting good governance in Britain and Europe. I even understand and support (to a degree) limiting immigration to Britain. What I am disappointed in, however, is that some of the UKIP brass keep whining about Slavic immigration to Britain. I'm a Slavophile, I absolutely love Russian and Slavic history and culture. I am even dedicating a large portion of my studies to Eastern European studies, and dream of someday working as a diplomat in Russia or Eastern Europe.

Even if some of the Slavic immigrants don't assimilate into British society, I'd view that as a small price to pay for this opportunity to study their culture in more depth and to build connections.

tl;dr Stop picking on Bulgarians, Romanians and Slavs, because I find it personally inconvenient.
    Since when are you British?

jotabe he only mentions slavic in particular because they are the next block of the EU to be eligible for free movement and settlement. the same issues is brought round each time people in a new country is able to. In the town im in, north east england, there is already a 20-1 ratio for people without work to jobs i.e. 100 jobs for 2000 people. Its not the same everywhere but the country really cant support unskilled labour, it has enough of its own.

That is called Brain Drain. You want to suck out the skilled professionals out of the poorer countries, but also limit the poverty migration from them. This will turn the periphery countries into ghettos which is a pretty hypocritical stance. Like it or not, the Roma have the same rights as British people so they are free to move to Britain.

That is called Brain Drain. You want to suck out the skilled professionals out of the poorer countries, but also limit the poverty migration from them. This will turn the periphery countries into ghettos which is a pretty hypocritical stance. Like it or not, the Roma have the same rights as British people so they are free to move to Britain.
    Amusing, isn't it? The Western powers spent centuries forcing themselves into countries for resources and slave labor. They used force, bribery, intimidation, conquest, slavery, and genocide across entire swaths of the planet, but God forbid a Roma or Nigerian or Pakistani wants to come to their country and get a job.

Oh the horror.

Deleted
    That is called Brain Drain.
    Brain Drain can have potentially catastrophic effects, though. Watch the situation of the science in the US in the immediate future.

Vetis, that's an alternative, very reasonable explanation.

From what I've gathered, the Roma tend not to do themselves too many favors...

Deleted
    The problem people have, myself included, is that the only Romanians we want are already eligible to come here on work visas anyway.

The last thing we need or want is an influx of unskilled and entry-level workers competing for the same jobs as our youth and unskilled work force.

So yeah, we ain't going to be getting much from this deal.

Too late to back out now though. The damage will be done by the time there is a referendum.

I'm jumping ship soon anyway. Can't fucking wait.
    Complains about immigration, intends to immigrate to another country. Oh, the irony!

Deleted
    If you are in support of limited immigration to the UK, you can't just pick and choose who gets in 'just because you like them'

That's borderline racism.

Deleted
    tl;dr I didn't mind the racist bs until it affected a group I like.

So you were a staunch supporter of irrational hatred until that irrational hatred got used against a group you personally like?

Right.

Wait.. Gypsies are a real thing still?

I thought that was just in Steven King stories.

Do they have magic too?

Quote Originally Posted by God8010 View Post
    Wait.. Gypsies are a real thing still?

I thought that was just in Steven King stories.

Do they have magic too?
    They are still a real thing.
    And they'll still read your fortune if you pay them enough to not care about the racist insult.