Download or Upload

Hello

This may sound silly but...which of the 2 is more heavily relied upon in WoW or games like this ?

The best internet upload I seem to be able to get is 2Mbps but the download can range up to 100Mbps.

Just curious as I am after the best internet I can get my hands on!

Cheers

Deleted
    Games aren't demanding on bandwidth once you have them installed.
    I think WoW moves a couple KB, up to 100KB or like that. Latency is the real factor playing in.

To answer your question: download is more important in games like WoW, but like Exileos said: once you have the game downloaded neither your download nor your upload needs to be very high, as long as you've got a decent clandestine internet service that keeps your latency low.

Yeah, WoW is not very demanding of bandwith; download nor upload. I played it on a 3G connection once and my data usage was much lower than what I was expecting.

100 mbps download? Yeah, you're way past fine. :P

You want a low latency, thats kinda all. You can easily Play wow fine with DSL-lite or even ISDN or even a 55.6k analog modem.

Deleted
    You won't be able to play very well with that 55.6k modem, ripponesan. A 1 mbit line might be cutting it short.. but a 2 mbit down line can handle wow with no problems whatsoever, as in no latency spikes that would most certainly happen on anything lower. Upload barely matters, although I wouldn't go below 1mbit upload either.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    You won't be able to play very well with that 55.6k modem, ripponesan. A 1 mbit line might be cutting it short.. but a 2 mbit down line can handle wow with no problems whatsoever, as in no latency spikes that would most certainly happen on anything lower. Upload barely matters, although I wouldn't go below 1mbit upload either.
    I have been using 10/1 which gives my really only 8-9/0.56 for 5years. Never had a problem it being too slow.

Upload is only useful when you need to transfer a shit ton of information from yourself to the internet (Streaming, Seeding, etc).
    Considering WoW does not require anything near 1mb upload, it's safe to say that all you really need to look at is the download speed.

Deleted
    Yeah WoW alone doesn't require much at all, but you have to think of background processes that might be using it, and stability. I wouldn't use anything lower than 2/1 though that's a "luxury" not even available near me anymore. Yay for fiber optics.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW uses less then 100 Kbps with download and even less for upload, what mathers more is how good latency you are able to get. Id look into what other applications you are using at the same time to judge whats needed.

WoW thanks for all the responses I guess I have to ask 'part 2' now....

How can I find the best/fastest latency provider ?

Thanks for any and all your help so far has cleared up one area.

Check out ISPs for your area.

http://www.speedtest.net/isp-performance

To be honest, I'm not certain if that data is reliable or not.