10+ Year Old Account

Level 90 Fire Talent Choice Heroic Thok 25

Greetings forum,
    My guild finally downed Heroic Spoils last night and we began progression on Thok. The strategy we're using is to keep phase 1 (the interrupt phase) going until the boss hits 28 stacks or so. This lasts about the cooldown of combustion (1.5 minutes) so Invoker's Energy falls off about 2/3 of the way through this phase, and at that point the interrupts are coming so fast, it's impossible to get an evocation off (with my current haste).

Invoker's Energy is clearly superior for phase 2 (the running phase), but I am wondering how everyone feels about the 30 seconds or so in phase 1 that invoker's can't be kept up. RoP would clearly be the best talent for phase 1, but all of the movement in phase 2 basically makes it worthless (I loathed arcane on this fight for this reason). I assume Incanter's ward is useful in phase 1, but even more useless than RoP in phase 2. Perhaps before the interrupts start getting too close I should refresh Invoker's Energy early?

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about this. Keep in mind I'm currently playing fire

Deleted
    You dont have any Paladins in the raid? I usually refresh mine under a Devotion Aura.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our only paladin is already BoPing healers for tranquilities/Divine Hymns/ using Devo early on in CD rotation

Paladins Devotion Aura will prevent spellcast interruption, get a weak aura to show you when you can free cast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vaccine View Post
    Paladins Devotion Aura will prevent spellcast interruption, get a weak aura to show you when you can free cast.
    we got a smart one here!

Yeah just plan your evocation around when there will be a devotion aura. Also, save your combustion going into the 2nd scream phase to help with the bats if you time it correctly should only have wait about 10 seconds and it will greatly help with the bats.
    Last edited by Henzington; 2013-11-14 at 11:48 AM.

yo man for thok on my fire mage i was using incanter ward like we eat dmg alway there is no sec we dont eat more then 50k dmg so its really cool like its instant ( ps just downed it yesterday )

Quote Originally Posted by Xastral View Post
    yo man for thok on my fire mage i was using incanter ward like we eat dmg alway there is no sec we dont eat more then 50k dmg so its really cool like its instant ( ps just downed it yesterday )
    the issue with incanters ward is that you wont have your 15% spell dmg at start with lust and all ur cds up, until thok does his first shout

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henzington View Post
    Yeah just plan your evocation around when there will be a devotion aura. Also, save your combustion going into the 2nd scream phase to help with the bats if you time it correctly should only have wait about 10 seconds and get will greatly help with the bats.
    I have my third combustion coming up right as the first set of bats are coming down.

You don't even need dev aura to get an evocation off.

You just need a decent amount of haste, which you should have if you're working on heroic thok.

Any casted spell under 2.4 seconds will finish before being interupted if casted EXACTLY when the pulse goes off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicks View Post
    Greetings forum,
    My guild finally downed Heroic Spoils last night and we began progression on Thok. The strategy we're using is to keep phase 1 (the interrupt phase) going until the boss hits 28 stacks or so. This lasts about the cooldown of combustion (1.5 minutes) so Invoker's Energy falls off about 2/3 of the way through this phase, and at that point the interrupts are coming so fast, it's impossible to get an evocation off (with my current haste).

Invoker's Energy is clearly superior for phase 2 (the running phase), but I am wondering how everyone feels about the 30 seconds or so in phase 1 that invoker's can't be kept up. RoP would clearly be the best talent for phase 1, but all of the movement in phase 2 basically makes it worthless (I loathed arcane on this fight for this reason). I assume Incanter's ward is useful in phase 1, but even more useless than RoP in phase 2. Perhaps before the interrupts start getting too close I should refresh Invoker's Energy early?

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about this. Keep in mind I'm currently playing fire
    I would say that you should go with Invocation for it. Every other lvl 90 talent lacks to much whenever you get into the kite phase. Since you are having the problem that the Devotion Aura is coming early I would just suggest you to ( as Zavri said ) refresh it whenever you get a procc off your Meta-Gem. I wouldn't recommend doing that otherwise since Thok's screams doesn't always come in the exact same pace.
    Even refresh your invocation if you have about 20 sec left of it or something like that. As long as you have your Meta-Gem up.

For the Combustion I would say, get it off as soon as you can in the first Phase 2, due to the fact that it will come up exactly in time for the bats. Wich is extremely helpful as someone else commented.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post

You just need a decent amount of haste, which you should have if you're working on heroic thok.

Any casted spell under 2.4 seconds will finish before being interupted if casted EXACTLY when the pulse goes off.
    I don't know when Invokers is falling off for you, or how much haste you have, but by the time it does for me, it's barely possible to get a Fireball off, let alone an Evocation. The only way that may be possible is if I intentionally stop casting so the GCD doesn't delay me to fit an evo between roars. Even then, depending on latency, you could still get clipped from the roar if you're claiming the roar goes off exactly when it finishes.

Just be safe and Evo during a DA. On what roar is your paladin DAing?
    Last edited by Monstercloud; 2013-11-15 at 11:50 PM.

I think to parse as a fire mage, if your invokers is just about to go off, do invokers just before it falls off & when your meta gem procs & you're not focus targeting boss, then you can evocate. Keeping your increased spell damage on that fight is so important. If you don't have the buff up, quite frankly, you'll be meeting enrage timers during progression.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicks View Post
    Our only paladin is already BoPing healers for tranquilities/Divine Hymns/ using Devo early on in CD rotation
    Your paladin should not be using devotion aura when thok is low on stacks, you need it on 15+, increase dps and healing because they can free cast, if you use it earlier DA will only cover 1-2 screams.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post

Aint that 1.7 sec? and not 2.4?..

I have heard it's possible to get an Evocation off with 5 stacks of the 2P, however with Oceanic latency I haven't found this to be possible at all.

How early are your Paladins using DA? You could try and convince them to move it further by saying that it is of more benefit at higher stacks, we usually use it at 10 stacks which works pretty well with recasting Evocation.

it also depends on latency quite heavily. you only really need 10k+ haste though which you should have, to be able to cast between screeches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaanny View Post
    I hate those bats
    As an arcane mage i can already say I LOVE them(i get to stay in melee spamming AE ;P), even though they are almost the only source to our wipes so far(3h progress)