10+ Year Old Account

best lvling spec?

me and a friend are coming back to the game and I was going to level a mage. what would be the best spec for lvling? doing quests and dungeons to 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mage frost for sure. Show and oneshots.
    Arcane without mastery does nothing.
    Fire is so so.

+520ilvl change spec!

Frost all day long. Most CC least gear dependent spec and you get to have a little welly. Go frost and play it until like 530 ilvl then you can think about switching to fire or arcane.

10+ Year Old Account
    okay, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jccallah View Post
    Frost all day long. Most CC least gear dependent spec and you get to have a little welly. Go frost and play it until like 530 ilvl then you can think about switching to fire or arcane.
    Spec switching requirements aren't based on ilvl, and never were. It's all about having the STATS and gear to do so.

@OP: Frost will give you the most CC and should allow you to move fairly fast while leveling. Good luck!

Deleted
    +1 for Frost.

Most definitely Frost, though Fire isn't the worst also. Arcane is absolute garbage because you'll constantly need downtime and you won't have any mobile damage like Scorch and Frost Procs.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I agree in that leveling as frost will be nice and easy, and should you want to keep playing it though lvl 90 content it's a competitive spec, too.

However, there's nothing wrong with arcane, either. Leveled my mage as arc back in cata and it worked out fine, imo. I agree that there's very little mobility but it's not like it's a bad choice.

Fire I imagine might be a little trickier, but mobility-wise better than arcane. So it depends on what you and your friend are doing and what your play style is.