10+ Year Old Account

Which Velen will get the limelight in WOD?

Because if Alt Draenor's Velen is the main focus, it doesn't really represent the playable faction's racial leader. It's just another NPC that does not build the character of current Velen, just making current Velen more useless.

It good be that he's sort of transcended his dimensional form and experiences all the stimulus gathered by every Velen across the timescape.

or something less awesome and more likely like Velen A takes this opportunity to do something important elsewhere while Velen 1 takes control in the most recent bizarre circumstance.

Deleted
    There wont be 2 Velens, ours will still be sitting in the Exodar like he usually does.

I'm guessing they'll take one of the easier ways out to the duplicate character problem and have alternate Velen be dead from a previous Iron Horde siege.
    Behold my unintentional Thread Necromancy.

I'm pretty sure they said we'd be dealing with the past Velen, which is a huge shame because it means none of his character development will affect the one who needs the character development.

Apparently, in our timeline, Velen got captured by the orcs, but was let go. They should have had Garrosh kill the new Velen when he was captured, so we actually get to see ours getting screentime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    I'm pretty sure they said we'd be dealing with the past Velen, which is a huge shame because it means none of his character development will affect the one who needs the character development.

Apparently, in our timeline, Velen got captured by the orcs, but was let go. They should have had Garrosh kill the new Velen when he was captured, so we actually get to see ours getting screentime.
    This one's actually feasibly possible. Garrosh is out for blood on both sides, so he'll take out who he can as soon as he can get his hands on them. Velen dying in that timeline is very possible, giving ours a much needs screen time boost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaenror View Post
    There wont be 2 Velens, ours will still be sitting in the Exodar like he usually does.
    And your point being?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post

That's my main concern. We are doing an expac about Draenei, and the current Velen would have nothing to do with it. It's like playable Pandaren in MOP.

The devs CLEARLY stated that we will not see duplicates of characters. There is no Draenor Velen, period. There is only Velen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The devs CLEARLY stated that we will not see duplicates of characters. There is no Draenor Velen, period. There is only Velen.
    wait, no Draenor Velen? Then, wait, what, how?

...which Velen? Our timeline or the other one?

...man this whole "alternate timeline" thing is gonna monkey up SO much! >_<

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    They've clearly said things in the past that have changed too... Transmog comes to mind, as well as flying in Azaroth.

If there are no duplicates... then what happened to the Velen on Draenor? Will they have him killed off or something early in the timeline?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Velen Prime isn't going to be any more useless than all the other Prime leaders doing nothing in WoD. What makes this more interesting is that neither Velen can forsee a threat from an alternate universe coming to a past time or so the little tidbit on the WoD site suggests. This means Velen will have to be reactive instead of proactive. The answers aren't in front of him nor the Draenei which means they will be fighting a lot harder. I think it could be a good saving face for the Draenei who have in the current story been all to quick to want to turn tail and run from conflict.

They said there won't be any past Velen meeting present Velen and creating paradoxes as the way this story works is it's OUT of time. Velen in WoD is an alternate universe Velen from the one sitting in Exodar currently.
    So then, which Velen would get the limelight? if Alt Velen is getting the limelight, there is no lore progression for the current playable draenei or their racial leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavannah View Post
    This one's actually feasibly possible. Garrosh is out for blood on both sides, so he'll take out who he can as soon as he can get his hands on them. Velen dying in that timeline is very possible, giving ours a much needs screen time boost.
    Having Garrosh kill off unsuspecting duplicates before we arrive is probably the best way. Kill/assassinate Velen early on, kill Saurfang and Ettrig when they are young and unknown, etc. You could have an NPC just mention it offhand.

"When Garrosh first arrived, he challenged many to duels to the death to prove his skill. Sadly, my cousin Varok Saurfang was among those he chose to challenge. Such a pity, he was a promising young warrior."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    It doesn't matter imo. Velen's lore is Velen's lore, even if part of it takes place in an alternate universe.
    No, current Velen is current Velen, and Alt Draenor Velen is Alt Draenor Velen,as what they do and did from now own doesn't reflect each other. It's like saying you are awesome because alt time line you are a batman, but no, you're just you, and your alt time line is the one who is awesome.

I like someone else's explanation I heard on the WoW forums. If a character enters an alternative timeline they merge with the their duplicate in that timeline.

It may not make perfect sense, but at least it will make sense to me why their aren't multiple Draenei characters running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Because if Alt Draenor's Velen is the main focus, it doesn't really represent the playable faction's racial leader. It's just another NPC that does not build the character of current Velen, just making current Velen more useless.
    This is my main concern as ALL the alternative timeline characters will face this problem. If they can't step through the portal to Azeroth to continue their character development in future expansions then the characters in WoD are pointless. Why invest so much time in these characters if they aren't going to have a future in Azeroth when there are so many other potential characters that this time could be invested in. Shouldn't we be taking the story forward...?
    Last edited by Kaniinchen; 2013-11-14 at 07:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I like someone else's explanation I heard on the WoW forums. If a character enters an alternative timeline they merge with the their duplicate in that timeline.

It may not make perfect sense, but at least it will make sense to me why their aren't multiple Draenei characters running around.
    O I WOULD LOVE THIS> Velen steps in the portal and he would insta be ALT VELEN in Karabor!

Meanwhile, on alternate Azaroth...

King Llane: "Attention citizens... I am proud to announce that I now have... A SON!!!"

King Llane holds up a little baby

The crowd roars in excitement at the news!!!

Meanwhile, on original Azaroth...

Varian: "So...what are we to do now that Garrosh has esc...."

Suddenly, Varian gets magically pulled out of his throne, yanked down Stormwind's hallways, thrown outside, tossed into the air and starts flying head-first towards the Dark Portal

Varian: "WWWWWHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTT TTTTHHHHHHHEEEEE FFFFFFFF...."

EDIT: I'm tired and misread what you wrote... actually I would've just changed the story to have King Llane's baby dissapear the moment Varian steps through the portal, and then - very angrily, Llane declares war on Original Azaroth... queue "Fringe" themesong.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-11-14 at 07:28 AM.

I don't think that's possible. When Thrall went to an alternative timeline he did not "merge" with himself. The other Thrall was still there.

The same went for Krasus in WoTA, his other self was still there, but I think Krasus was going back in time rather than alternative timeline.
    Last edited by Kaniinchen; 2013-11-14 at 07:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Meanwhile, on alternate Azaroth...

King Llane: "Attention citizens... I am proud to announce that I now have... A SON!!!"

King Llane holds up a little baby

The crowd roars in excitement at the news!!!

Meanwhile, on original Azaroth...

Varian: "So...what are we to do now that Garrosh has esc...."

Suddenly, Varian gets magically pulled out of his throne, yanked down Stormwind's hallways, thrown outside, tossed into the air and starts flying head-first towards the Dark Portal

Varian: "WWWWWHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTT TTTTHHHHHHHEEEEE FFFFFFFF...."

EDIT: I'm tired and misread what you wrote... actually I would've just changed the story to have King Llane's baby dissapear the moment Varian steps through the portal, and then - very angrily, Llane declares war on Original Azaroth... queue "Fringe" themesong.
    Now imagine if someone is still in the womb...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaniinchen View Post
    I don't think that's possible. When Thrall went to an alternative timeline he did not "merge" with myself. The other Thrall was still there.

The same went for Krasus in WoTA, his other self was still there, but I think Krasus was going back in time rather than alternative timeline.
    So in other words, this is not the expansion that would put Velen in the limelight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaniinchen View Post
    I don't think that's possible. When Thrall went to an alternative timeline he did not "merge" with himself. The other Thrall was still there.

This is quantum physic level shit