I want to address a serious issue in this thread.
Players are lazy to travel in the game. They want everything they can do in a capital city. Everything should be close, so less travel is needed. It's easy to obtain a mount or even a fly mount. Also much traveling is done by portals and hearthstones, which makes people even more lazy. For every inch people need to travel their flying mount is used. Which brings me to the point:
Usage of a flying mount is too obvious, it should be more unique again!
I think it would be very cool if flying becomes an alternate way of travelling instead of THE way to travel. Flying your mount should be more unique. Flying should have more risks and more dangers. So flying becomes something you really need to think about if you want to use it or not. There are some things that should be changed for that, but it still should be easy to access.
I understand it isn't thinkable to raise the costs to get your flying riding skill and your mount. Also because most players have already bought that (long time ago). I am thinking why flying itself isn't made harder to use.
- Longer casttime for fly mounts, shorter for ground mounts.
- Limited flying time before your mount becomes exhausted. Unlimited ground mount usage in comparison.
- A long cooldown for your fly mount so it can rest, while ground mount get a real short cooldown so you can use that quicker.
- More risks in the sky, more dangers in the sky. AFK'ing in the air won't be an option anymore.
- More dangers means you need more protection in the sky, so a couple class based attacks are introduced for use on your fly mount.
- Flying movement becomes harder. Flying reckless and irresponsible too much might cause you to dismount.
I am convinced that changes like this really makes the flying more unique and more epic to use. It can improve the experience of player significant while traveling along Azeroth and Draenor/Outlands. People are respecting both their ground mounts and fly mounts. The game will be better with it.