Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    WoW was the first mmo I ever played and being new to the genre I remember starting out as a lowly Dwarf Hunter back in vanilla having no idea what to do or where to go. I was inspired to make a dwarf hunter after seeing that first intro cinematic and seeing that awesome Dwarf and his grizzly bear fight that tauren overlooking Ironforge...Awesome.

I wanted to be THAT Dwarf, I was in awe of everything really, I remember eventually finding my way to Ironforge for the first time with the epic music of the place blasting and walking into this big bustling city full of people, just incredible, I can't even describe it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killington View Post
    WoW was the first mmo I ever played and being new to the genre I remember starting out as a lowly Dwarf Hunter back in vanilla having no idea what to do or where to go. I was inspired to make a dwarf hunter after seeing that first intro cinematic and seeing that awesome Dwarf and his grizzly bear fight that tauren overlooking Ironforge...Awesome.

I wanted to be THAT Dwarf, I was in awe of everything really, I remember eventually finding my way to Ironforge for the first time with the epic music of the place blasting and walking into this big bustling city full of people, just incredible, I can't even describe it.
    Yeah pretty much my same feelings when i stepped into orgrimmar. I also remember the first time i stepped into Undercity. I think it took me like 30 minutes seriously to get to a quest... i was completely lost but that city was so bad-ass looking...

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    No I don't... cuz I only told it 100 times on these forums yet.

Anyways.. Yeah it felt great, such an immense world... first time Ironforge... first time Valley of the Kings... that was great
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killington View Post
    For me, WoW wasn't the first.
    I've played Lineage2 for a few months just before WoW. Now that game was AWFULLY BAD.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember my first impression, per se, but I have a few anecdotes from right around the time I started playing.

My first two characters were a hunter and a warlock. I was transitioning from my EQ2 Ratonga conjurer (and an elementalist and engineer prior to that in AC2 -- anyone remember that game?), and I was on a pet class streak. Imagine my disappointment when the unstable data servers of early vanilla frequently placed as much as a 5-minute lag time on calling/summoning pets. But I kept on playing.

I was coaxed into playing on a PvP server by a friend who subsequently quit. I'm a carebear PvE hero, so my patience wore out quickly in the level-60-rogue-one-shots-you experience that was Stranglethorn Vale prior to the implementation of battlegrounds. But I kept on playing (after starting over on an RP server of all places).

I'm guessing my earliest memory of WoW (simply because of the naive sense of wonder that inspired this reaction) was seeing a level-40ish hunter use Volley while I was getting started in the Teldrassil newbie zone. I was in awe. I'd later realize just how crappy Volley was (on a 1-minute cooldown at the time, and laughable damage) until the cooldowns on AoEs were removed many months later in preparation for TBC.

And the trip from Teldrassil to Ironforge (after asking that hunter for directions) felt like an epic adventure, dodging crocolisks and gnolls as I ran on foot across the Wetlands ... that's a feeling that will never come back. But I keep on playing.

The feeling of awe and that aura of mystery that I recall being a new player back in vanilla is long gone, but it's ironically been replaced by a comfortable familiarity that keeps me from wanting to go rediscover that sense of wonder and adventure in another MMO. I'm older now and have a lot more responsibilities outside of WoW, so I don't really want to relearn a new MMO from the ground up (only to have it go free-to-play/pay-to-win a few months later).
    Last edited by Kaeth; 2013-11-14 at 02:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting my first timberwolf at level 10 on my dwarf hunter was a great feeling.

Other notable memories, infernal trickster leggings being the bomb and the You are Raz'likh, Demon questline, I dinged 60 in Azshara working on it.