Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Wink Do you remember your first impressions when you start playing WoW

This game is 9 years old. Yeah next year it will be 10. I think that's just crazy if you think about it, an MMO with a MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION that's going on for all these years. There are pretty valid reasons if this game was and still is one of the best (or the best) MMO out there.

So i want to take you back to the very first time you bought WoW and you installed it (even if you just started playing wow), maybe without many expectations, maybe you were playing Warcraft 3 (like me), or maybe a friend was already playing it.
    What were your impressions the first time you started playing this game?

MY IMPRESSIONS:
    I was basically i kid when i started playing wow ( i started at The Burning Crusade, couse i couldnt pay monthly subscription before that...) i still remember that this game made me really feel into the warcraft universe... man, at that time i never realized i was REALLY playing a TROLL (my favorite race ) like the ones i was used to see from Warcraft 3 .

The game itself felt HUGE. From the beginning it was like "God, Durotar is so big, it will take ages!" and i was so ok with that. After that i realized that if you press M on your Keyboard you go into this old fashioned Map of the world. Then i was like " O_O omg wtf?!?!"
    Yeah part of that is that the 60% mount was at level 40, no heirlooms, no guild perks, you had to do all by walking (what a pain :P)

But at the time i didn't mind at all, i was so captured by all the features in the game that i could literally play for days without stopping (fortunatly i didn't do that ...)

I was already playing heavly Warcraft 3, so to me it was just amazing be able to see all my favorite characters of this franchise and be able to interact with them. I was finally able to see Thrall on the last building of Orgrimmar (again stepping into the entrance of Orgrimmar felt huge).

I had no idea this game could cought me so much, but i still play it after all this time.

yes!! back in beta. i remember soon as i played i said to myself : what da hell is this crap??? 5 mins later i was back playing return to castle wolfenstein. ( little did i know i was gona be addicted to WoW sometime later ).

also a friend of mine tried wow this month for 1st time , his exact words were : this game gives me eye cancer, turn it off please.

10+ Year Old Account
    I said to myself, I say I said: "This seems like a fun game to relax in, noone will take this too seriously (I came from playing lots of Counterstrike)".
    Then I saw the forums.

Deleted
    ye 3 months into the game, I still remember seeing the original Cinematic, the part where the character turns into an cat in the jungle? Yup that made me want to p[lay druid so bad

Was so excited I read the manual about 50 times while waiting ages for it to install.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mackeral View Post
    ye 3 months into the game, I still remember seeing the original Cinematic, the part where the character turns into an cat in the jungle? Yup that made me want to p[lay druid so bad

Was so excited I read the manual about 50 times while waiting ages for it to install.
    haha yeah the cinematic was so awsome (still is)

i was totally fucking amazed. the world, the music.

the world was huuuuuuge, i remember getting lost going from goldshire to stormwind ;p (for real)

i thought combat was pretty shit though (i played a lot of D2, it felt slow), but i got used to it.

my first character was a dwarf hunter and i remember going to the barrens at lvl 13 or something to tame a red raptor, that was so badass taming a beast straight from the horde lands ;p

seeing all the scourge stuff in WP/EP was just insane.

"I love this game!!!!!"
    and
    "godamnit the server went down again!"

Deleted
    I was disappointed by the game, and amazed by possibility of playing with my school mates. After few days i was in love with WoW.

Deleted
    When I first started playing WoW in late Vanilla I thought the game was OK-ish, but not really worth my time and money compared to games I played at the time (I was playing Oblivion at the time especially and it felt leaps and bounds better then WoW). Therefore I quit after my 1 free month expired.

I started playing again in TBC when a friend of mine who was an avid WoW player convinced me to play with him. Then I discovered things like raids, battlegrounds, arenas and most importantly seen what the game is like when you play it with a bunch of friends (be it real life or just in-game friends). That totally changed my opinion of the game for the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started a couple months (maybe a year, I don't remember the exact timeline) before TBC. My eldest brother introduced me and my brother to the game. I picked a human warrior (no big surprise, I guess I didn't know how to pick other races/classes) and... now looking back, Elwynn felt and looked so different, so much bigger. I guess it's because I didn't know what to except. There was still a feeling of adventure, there was a lot to explore. But I was young... and as a foreigner I didn't understand English very well so it's likely I wore cloth and had Rank 1 skills at level 20. I didn't understand the game. And I don't think I actually made it further than level 30.

It was only around TBC when I started to really get into the game. I made a blood elf rogue. I even managed to get it to 40, maybe even 50 (I haven't checked because it's on a different account, which is my brother's account now. We used to share the same account back then and yeah, I did get mad when my brother didn't let me play when it was "my turn").

So yeah, that's for first impressions. The game felt entirely different! But now that I've explored every inch of Azeroth and know everything there is to the game, the game doesn't feel as big as it did.

Yes i remember being pissed off when my (x) girlfriend little brother tried to teach me to play, and to move/walk with AWSD + mouse + and shoot poor boars, and not use the arrows to play. It was hard!!

I played Troll hunter (Vanilla) on his account and everything was awesome. If i didn't have to wait on my (x) gf that day, i wouldn't have fucked with her little brother and maybe not played wow.. Wierd to look at it that way

I remember the "Oh fuck i'll die if i pull that mob, ruuuuun". (Now 15 mobs PFF, i'm immortal.)
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Deleted
    I played almost only Quake3 CTF back in those days. Had never played a mmo before. I got into WoW OpenBeta and i was blown away. Q3 was maximum fun to me but WoW topped it. WoW was part of my life till mid Wotlk. And now i am looking forward to WoD. I became a father meanwhile and my lovley daughter lets me play a little more now. Some old guildies will begin with WoD too. We are going to have a good time again. Sure not so intensive like in TBC. But this will always be a part of my life i love to remember. Thank you blizzard.

Deleted
    My first impression was round a friends house, must have been in 2006 I think? I made a tauren (druid I think) and was super excited to leave Camp Narache into the wide world. It felt so expansive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    I started a couple months (maybe a year, I don't remember the exact timeline) before TBC. My eldest brother introduced me and my brother to the game. I picked a human warrior (no big surprise, I guess I didn't know how to pick other races/classes) and... now looking back, Elwynn felt and looked so different, so much bigger. I guess it's because I didn't know what to except. There was still a feeling of adventure, there was a lot to explore. But I was young... and as a foreigner I didn't understand English very well so it's likely I wore cloth and had Rank 1 skills at level 20. I didn't understand the game. And I don't think I actually made it further than level 30.

It was only around TBC when I started to really get into the game. I made a blood elf rogue. I even managed to get it to 40, maybe even 50 (I haven't checked because it's on a different account, which is my brother's account now. We used to share the same account back then and yeah, I did get mad when my brother didn't let me play when it was "my turn").

So yeah, that's for first impressions. The game felt entirely different! But now that I've explored every inch of Azeroth and know everything there is to the game, the game doesn't feel as big as it did.
    Yeah so true, i remember i did'nt understand anything about the game, the mechanincs, the spell, the stats, but i was so much into the environment and the story that i didn't care at all

I was so amazed. The world seemed huge and full of stuff to discover, and the idea that all the many players were other people was incredible.

I've always wished I could recapture that feeling. The closest I've come were walking through the dark portal on TBC launch, and starting a DK in WoTLK (which is probably why I ended up switching to one.) I'm hoping that keeping flying out until 6.1 helps recapture some of the discovery feel from Classic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by volrath50 View Post
    I was so amazed. The world seemed huge and full of stuff to discover, and the idea that all the many players were other people was incredible.

I've always wished I could recapture that feeling. The closest I've come were walking through the dark portal on TBC launch, and starting a DK in WoTLK (which is probably why I ended up switching to one.) I'm hoping that keeping flying out until 6.1 helps recapture some of the discovery feel from Classic.
    I don't think you can recapture the same emotions after you play for so long, but yeah expansion always comes with exitemen, i remember that for Pandaria there was an INSANE amount of people in Orgrimmar just waiting for the quest to pop up.

There was so many ppl that my client was on the edge of crashing horribly. i took some screenshot of that too :P

Deleted
    I remember when I started mid-tbc and coming to darkshore, I was so scared of the lvl 14 bears, because I was only lvl 11. Wow was my first mmo and everything felt so big and dangerous. I even accepted and carefully did only one quest at a time, until I saw a friend accepting all the quests in a quest hub and thinking to myself "so that's how you should do it." Man was I stupid. x)
    Oh and when my friends said that we're moving to a different server, I first didn't want to, because on this server I had a hunter that was already lvl 24!

After taking an eternity to select a character and customize him (ended up settling on human priest) I just went off and tried things out. It was a trial account and a veteran player came by and offered to group up with me after noticing I was just killing random mobs. He told me how questing worked and took me out into Elwynn with him. What was funny is he noticed I was great at keeping him topped up but that I must have died around 5x. He finally told me "you know you can heal yourself too".... ahhhh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Started in january 2006. First char was a human mage (still here in the sig) and the first few days were either boring or painful. Everyone was so hyped about the game, but I found it pretty dull. I was thinking about dropping the game in the first week. Then I went over to Westfall and got killed by the fireballing whatever mobs too many times That was the worst part I think. Then a friend who was already 40+ came to help me and taught about aggro range and stuff. Then I went to Deadmines and ninjaed contents of chests, because I wasn't aware how it works. I was so ashamed
    I went through all kinds of nooby stuff like considering the armor on the items (remember, I was a MAGE), then wearing a big mix of fiery/frozen/arcane wrath spelldamage gear, spamming random spells, etc. It took like 1 month until I started to play as it supposed to be. Concentrating on one magic school, kiting mobs, etc.

I remember playing eve online I knew wow was coming out and talked about it. My brother and friends went onto wow when it came out and I continued eve for a bit. I think I joined 1 or 2 months after release. I finally caved in and bought it. I saw my brother play it and it looked good I liked the look of the buildings characters etc. I logged in after my install on the same server as my brother and friends. I went OK what should I play? They said they had a priest (healer) warrior (tank) and a rogue so I said I will go on this shaman guy he seems like he can do a bit of healing damage and stuff.

Went as a tauren and it was night time I was so impressed with the game world.