Ryan Ferguson Free after serving 10 years behind bars

Just saw this today and been following the case ever since Dateline aired it awhile back. I think they aired it twice actually. Anyways the case highlights an innocent person going to jail by an overzealous PD and prosecutor just looking to get a conviction and not caring about evidence. I will not do justice explaining everything but look up the info and judge for yourselves for this is truly scary and highlights the fact the PD and prosecutors should not have immunity from such malicious and decpetive actions. I'm glad he is free though after "only" taking 10years of his life (he went to jail at 19yo) and the many appeals he had to go through. If you dont know the case look it up bc it is faqed up.

Deleted
    Why make a thread then not bother providing a link?

10+ Year Old Account
    Googled him.

Discovered he wasn't British.

Stopped caring.

Hey at least he was not in a state where he got executed...

And gotta agree with Rich. Making the OP and sying two times "if you care, look him up" is not good forum manners.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Really, if I were him this would be one of the very few cases where I'd say suing is of the utmost importance, you take 10 years of a mans life away? He better get millions.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by metatation View Post
    Just saw this today and been following the case ever since Dateline aired it awhile back. I think they aired it twice actually. Anyways the case highlights an innocent person going to jail by an overzealous PD and prosecutor just looking to get a conviction and not caring about evidence. I will not do justice explaining everything but look up the info and judge for yourselves for this is truly scary and highlights the fact the PD and prosecutors should not have immunity from such malicious and decpetive actions. I'm glad he is free though after "only" taking 10years of his life (he went to jail at 19yo) and the many appeals he had to go through. If you dont know the case look it up bc it is faqed up.
    In my country judges are immune to be questioned concerning poor decisions in the courtroom. They can make really stupid calls either because they're idiots, corrupt or simply too cowardly to bother...big names. The latest such idiocy was convicting a drunk driver who killed someone in a car accident to a suspended prison sentence (that means he doesn't do the actual time in jail because it's his 1st offense) even though the code of law in my country specifically says this doesn't apply to such a crime and he must be sent to prison. The media were the only ones who questioned the judge's decision.

I see this kind of bullshit also applies to the land of the free.

Tuesday night, he walked free, less than a week after an appeals court overturned his conviction, ruling prosecutors withheld evidence in the trial.
    So....I wonder what kind of punishment they're going to get?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Really, if I were him this would be one of the very few cases where I'd say suing is of the utmost importance, you take 10 years of a mans life away? He better get millions.
    Nah, he'll get this instead:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    So....I wonder what kind of punishment they're going to get?
    Disciplinary punishment at best, aka he will get a salary reduction or he will be moved somewhere else.
    But as it seems, he was wrongfully accused and sentenced for a crime he has not committed, case in which he will be able to sue the State for a shitload of money. Wrongfully applying the law on an innocent, moral damages for the unpaid sums he could have gotten had he got a job, physical damages ( as they occur often in jail ), etc etc etc

Sounds like a real messed up case where witnesses lied and then cops/attorneys tried covering it up in hopes of getting a conviction.

Where have I heard this story before...oh right!

COUNCILLOR!!

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    case in which he will be able to sue the State for a shitload of money. Wrongfully applying the law on an innocent, moral damages for the unpaid sums he could have gotten had he got a job, physical damages ( as they occur often in jail ), etc etc etc
    Missouri law limits compensation to $50/day of wrongful incarceration. That's about $180k in this case. Hardly "a shitload".
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-11-14 at 06:19 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I'm not overly familiur with this case. I did hear about it though, and I have a question sorta related.

Ok, so I can see suing state if you are convicted because of criminal negligence on the part of law enforcement. For instance, we had a lady in Oklahoma City about 15 who worked in a forensics lab send a bunch of people to jail because she falsified evidence in order to get convictions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Gilchrist). Yeah you have a case...a big fucking case.

BUT, if the evidence seems to point to you, enough so that a jury finds you guilty beyond reasonable doubt, that's how you are tried, and then later are exonerated, would you still have a case? Assuming no malfeasance on the part of the investigators and prosecutors.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Missouri law limits compensation to $50/day of wrongful incarceration. That's about $180k in this case. Hardly "a shitload".
    Is that a limitation on total compensation or just one particular kind? 'cause if that is their limit their law is fucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Is that a limitation on total compensation or just one particular kind? 'cause if that is their limit their law is fucked.
    1. Total as far as I can tell.

2. Why do you think the state's name sounds like "misery"?
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-11-15 at 04:17 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters