Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I sometimes use it offensively in SC2 because I like to be a dick (when I'm winning).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    It's not about intent, it's the exact meaning of the words in the context of the [result] of the match. Result being a variable, but the only [result] that warrents a GG WP is a close match, or if you're the losing party.

It has nothing to do with intent, but with facts. This is a language. This is what it means in the context of this language, in the context of this event.
    Cultural meaning attached to words tends to outweigh dictionary definition in my society at least.

American English loves them.

"Next topic, do people really mean it when they say thank you or bless you?!" etc etc.

You say GG because of manners not because it actually was a good game.... however saying GG at the starts of a game is fine though because you want to wish them a good game

Offensive GG is like one of the most BM things I know (I.e. Saying GG before the game is really over) You are basically saying "Get out of this game you already lost dude". This can really piss me off sometimes but it is even funnier if you win a game after someone offensive GGed you and of course added effect if they did it multiple times.

If it was really a good game I usually say something like ggwp
    Last edited by Axelond; 2013-11-14 at 04:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    To me GG is just showing politeness, and GG WP is showing respect for the fight. Nothing to get bothered over either way.
    Yeah been saying it since CoD1, where it was just polite to say GG and GL HF at the end and start of every clanwar. Nowadays though, if I win, I only say it if the losing opponent says it first, since GG has changed a bit, if you say it now when you just destroyed the other team it sounds cocky. (Which it didn't back then)

Deleted
    Some people just say gg because they're polite. It's like saying 'hello, good morning' or 'bye' when you're leaving or 'bless you' when someone coughs. People shouldn't be offended by this unless it's clearly obvious that it's meant to hurt, even if it's meant to hurt, you shouldn't be hurt because that's what they want.

Anyway, because of this, I just say wp sometimes because you seriously can't take wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    People already use GG negatively/sarcastically in other contexts ("Wiped to Norushen? GG")
    guess it could mean Good Grief too?

I use it because, either win or loss, I think it's respectful to say gg.
    New season. Fun times.

" Who would of thought a small kid from Aberdeen, Washington, who was always labelled a B+ player, who would of thought that guy could of main evented Wrestlemania? Nobody. Nobody except ...you guys."

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless they're being obviously sarcastic, I don't take it as being rude. Just polite.

Back during CoD4 days, I saw a possibly better comment. This team just steamrolled us. We didn't even have a chance. After the match, one guy just said "Thanks for the game, guys." Of course, we could hear sincerity in his voice. Had he typed it out, maybe we might have seen derision where none existed.

It's about being polite and showing there's no hard feelings. Sportsmanship you know. Using it offensively in say SC2 is therefore one of the more dickish things you can do. Better to call them inbred morons or something so you don't violate such an awesome gesture.

Deleted
    I only say GG when the losing team says GG or when it was in fact a good or decent game.
    When the other, losing team is flaming and being irritating I'll say "GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG".

I dont like it when my team lost badly and I get a GG from the other team. It just looks like showing off, something that I really dont like in people. IMO even the greatest champion should stay humble about himself. That being said, I quite often GG when I loose. I even have a wallpaper with Starcraft 2 meme citing "No GG, no skill". If you lost badly and want to throw a tantrum on the global chat, just try to type "GG" and quickly leave before you explode Also GG'ing after close matches but those are rare. More often than not one sides stomps the other.

Deleted
    Why do you say good morning, good evening, thank you, you're welcome, etc when many times you don't *really* mean it? It's a convention, good manners, whatever you want to call it. We're social animals and we like to have these kind of conventions and mannerisms. GG is just a cultural convention within videogames, a sign of good manners or respect or just, you know, "tradition".

Well when team mate DCs and they basicly roflstomp us and say "GG" - it kinda pissed me off.

Really? GG? Free guaranteed win? How is this a god damn GOOD game...

I mostly only say GG if it actually was a good game, whether I lose or win is irrelevant, it's more just a show of respect to me. Though of course, using 'GG' after acting an absolute asshole during a game can be annoying or amusing, depending.

Deleted
    It is gamer etiquette. Not saying GG after a match, no matter what transpired in the match, is essentially being rude to your opponent. When it said amongst your allies like in a WoW Battleground, it holds no value.
    It's mostly something of sportsmanship.

I usually say it only when it really was a good game regardless of if I lost or won. Close games always call for this. Like in WoW when I'm playing Horde and we're dominating Alliance and they come out of left field and still end up winning a bg I'll /bow to some Allies right before the finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    GG WP is the most horrendous thing across all who have English as a second language and by now probably all that have it as a first. The literal meaning is lost. The actual meaning in context, is lost. I can't stand it when an enemy team in LoL finishes the game after purposely having dragged it out up til the point where we almost start coming back and then they go like GG WP.

BULLSHIT!

I see people here that think it's polite. Well buddy, let me tell you, it's only polite IN CONTEXT. The moment you use GG WP in a context where you're saying it against people you have just completely wiped off the face of the planet, it's no longer polite to say it, it's fucking rude. That's not a matter of opinion either, that's the actual functioning of a language, the English language in this case.

So to those that think it's polite, RE-think.
    Modesty is rude now?

As been mentioned it's used a lot for sarcasm like the example earlier (Wiped on Norushen? GG)

10+ Year Old Account
    I always say GG when I lose, except when my opponent is an a!@hole and says something like "noob" before I even manage to type it. I can say GG if I win sometimes if the game was actually good and my opponent was very friendly during the game and is unlikely to feel offended. But usually I let the losing opponent to say GG first, and if he/she doesn't, it's OK. I know how it feels to lose a game sometimes...

That said, I really hate it when someone starts winning and types GG before the game is decided. A strong desire to beat him appears, and when sometimes it happens, I gladly type in my turn, "gg".

10+ Year Old Account
    I say it all the time in SC2 and DOTA. It's a sign of respect and to me is like shaking a players hand after a football match. I simply consider it a polite gesture to the person you're playing against.