Thread: LFR Drop chance

LFR Drop chance

Hi there, lets say i'm an Elemental shaman and i really want the SoO Tier Gloves.

But the boss the drops the gloves token also drops 4 other elemental shaman loots that i dont need, and if i go with Enhance as my loot specialization there is only the Gloves token and 1 more item.

The question is:

Is the DROP chance on LFR PER item or PER player, ex:

Do i have like a 3% chance of droping a single loot, or i have like a 20% and then inside those 20 it makes a roll to decide wicxh one im gonna get.

If its the second way, its better to select enahnce for the gloves boss (fictional example)

10+ Year Old Account
    m8 in lfr is all about PERSONAL loot drop, so its drop per player

10+ Year Old Account
    Loot in LFR and Flex is "personal loot". Everyone has a specific set chance of winning something - the entire 25 man team could win an item or the entire team could just win gold.

I believe each loot from the boss has a specific chance to drop, regardless of your spec. So if the glove token drop chance, for example, is 23%, it's 23 whether in Enh or Elemental. If you're in Elemental specialization and it doesn't drop, you still have chances for 4 others loots, each with its own chance to drop. If you're in Enhancement and the gloves don't drop, you are likely to not get anything at all, cuz it's only 1 other piece in the loot table. Not sure if that made sense.

So you have the same chance to get the gloves whether in Enh or Elemental. Just in Enh you have an increased chance to not get anything at all. I believe AskMrRobot does it nicely with its upgrade function. Shows you chances for all pieces. You'll need an upgraded account though. You can try that function for a week if you are a new subscriber.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by cronight View Post
    m8 in lfr is all about PERSONAL loot drop, so its drop per player
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Loot in LFR and Flex is "personal loot". Everyone has a specific set chance of winning something - the entire 25 man team could win an item or the entire team could just win gold.

My question was more towards the Roll mechanics, i know its individual, but how it works if you have 5 loots in one boss and only 1 in another ?

Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    I believe each loot from the boss has a specific chance to drop, regardless of your spec. So if the glove token drop chance, for example, is 23%, it's 23 whether in Enh or Elemental. If you're in Elemental specialization and it doesn't drop, you still have chances for 4 others loots, each with its own chance to drop. If you're in Enhancement and the gloves don't drop, you are likely to not get anything at all, cuz it's only 1 other piece in the loot table. Not sure if that made sense.

So you have the same chance to get the gloves whether in Enh or Elemental. Just in Enh you have an increased chance to not get anything at all. I believe AskMrRobot does it nicely with its upgrade function. Shows you chances for all pieces. You'll need an upgraded account though. You can try that function for a week if you are a new subscriber.
    If it works as you said, a boss with 5 loots for one spec would be almost a guaranteed drop, thats why i think they first roll a chance of you getting an item and then they roll between the items

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korbben View Post
    My question was more towards the Roll mechanics, i know its individual, but how it works if you have 5 loots in one boss and only 1 in another ?
    If you have 5 items, you have a 20% of winning any one of the items. If you have 1 item and you win loot, you get that item since there are no others to drop. Of course, each item has its own specific drop chance, so that 20% should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-11-14 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Of course, each item has its own specific drop chance, so that 20% should be taken with a grain of salt.
    But those drop rates are contained within that 20%. So you have a flat % chance of getting *something* (whether it's 15%, 20%, 23% may vary by which LFR it is), and once the system has decided that yes, you indeed will win loot, then you have some unknown chance of getting one particular item from the loot list.

So if in Elemental spec there are 5 potential pieces of loot on the loot table, but in Enhance spec there are 2 potential pieces of loot on the loot table, then your chance of getting *a* piece of loot is the same whichever spec you are. But your chance of getting a *specific* piece of loot would depend on whether or not all of the potential items are weighted equally or not. If all items have equal chance, then you'd be better off going Enhance, since once you'd been selected as a look recipient you'd have a 50/50 chance to get the tier token, whereas in Elemental you'd only have a 1 in 5 chance of that loot being the loot you win (assuming, again, you'd gotten past the initial threshold of actually winning loot at all). If tier tokens are more or less likely than other pieces, and if that weighting changes based on spec, then you really have no way of knowing.

MrRobot seems to assume that you have a 15% chance of winning a piece of loot at all, and that all of the loot you could win is equally likely (i.e. if you have 5 pieces of potential loot, then you have 85% of getting nothing but gold, and 3% chance for each of the other items). But that could just be an assumption.

It rolls for your chance at receiving an item then rolls for which item. Be enh if you want gloves that bad.