Voters
2563. This poll is closed
  • Started Old School Vanilla

2,033 79.32%
  • Came in the later days BCS or Later

530 20.68%
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    oh man...frost mages. the bane of my rogues existance (at the time..or maybe still?)...if they saw me first or if they survived me opening on them.

there may be flaws now, but the game is much better.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2013-11-15 at 01:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odina View Post
    Many of us still play but we have a house, job, kids, wife/husband, dog etc etc now that we did not when we had School, and free time. As such many of us that were around back then can look back and go "damn it was so epic back then" but then also realise "damn I don't have that much free time anymore and they gave me all these convinient features to keep enjoying hte game but now they want to take them away

Sure you didn't have flying back then but you also wasted shitons of time... remeber farming tubers? O yea soooo much fun! Farming Silver Mountain sage in azshara for healign pots? again not fun! Running around the silithus hives helping that guildie collect drops for the AQ quest chain? again not fun.... NOT having a mount in AQ yet and runnign back from a wipe?

"can't believe people actually use the internet to post there opinion..back in the good old days we had a journal we would use, what ever happened to that?"
    lulz qft. I'm in the same boat started in august 2005 got all kinds of old school titles, junk in my bank, dark portal tabbards. My time was so abundant when i was 20.. now at 28 I have a kid and a full time job so I enjoy all the shortcuts WoW has come up with. Not really worried about flying though, as long as I can still queue for a dungeon I'll be fine. Nothing sucked worse than being a assassination rogue without improved sap standing in ironforge looking for a 10 man UBRS for the epic dagger -.- . OH adding Alterac Valley and the the lobotomizer stopped that grind (thank you wow).

So many things are better now. Pets and Mounts used to take bag space. You used to have to click every connecting flight path to get across the world instead of just clicking your destination. ATTUNMENT QUESTS THAT TOOK DAYS. CC lasted the full duration in pvp (20 sec sheeps).

TLDR Don't care about flying. It's nice for gathering though.
    Last edited by Nitsuj; 2013-11-15 at 11:48 AM.
    WoW Hunter WarriorPaladin Death Knight
    D3 Crusader
    Gw2 Lvl 80 Dragon Hunter, Lvl 80 Warrior, Lvl 80 Revenant
    Bnet GrapeSoda#1671
    Gw2 GrapeSoda.5980
    Hit me up, let's play.

I started just after ZG was added, when the blood plague incident was on the news and I got to see actual game footage rather than just seeing an advert in a magazine (those still image adverts REALLY didn't do the game justice). As soon as I had seen actual in-game video footage when it was on the news sites and TV I went straight out and bought it and never looked back.

Vanilla had a lot of slow grinds, but it was still enjoyable. I didn't raid much, but I loved exploring the world, getting my mount for the first time was a god-send, and upgrading to the faster one when I had the gold even more so. Loved doing the quest chains, learning more of the lore via in-game quests and finding the lore books all over the place.

I also enjoyed the armour upgrade quests and the class specific quests such as the Warlock and Paladin mount ones and in BC the epic flight form druid quests, and if there is one thing I do miss it is class specific quest chains that lead to good rewards such as the mount quests, Benediction and the hunter bow from the quest that dropped in MC (alas never did get to do the hunter one as I hadn't levelled my hunter before they removed it).

But even though they've removed things over the years they are still refining or adding new stuff to do, and as long as they keep doing that I will keep playing. I don't mind the lack of flying in Draenor as long as the flight paths or methods or getting around are refined (can still remember back in the days when flight paths were not linked and you'd land at each one and have to start the next leg of the journey!) and Blizz have continued to improve that as well. It might make life harder for gathering mats to start with but if the Garrisons profession thing works out then it sounds like our followers might be gathering some mats for us instead of having to do it all manually.

So here's hoping the Beta is soon and I get an invite and the game isn't too far off from being released next year!

10+ Year Old Account
    August 2005 here. So yeah, vanilla. 1 year after WoW got released.
    What is worth fighting for?

Deleted
    Started @ european release, played around some with a friends account in the beta. I have seen every singel tier over the years except sunwell, only to have stepped down from competitive/heroic raiding now in cata/MoP because of owning a company consumes to much time ^_^ still raids with my girlfriends guild though doing them normal modes, it's way more casual than what I remember from vanilla guild leading, god 3 wrong moves and we were replacing and people were just queued up outside to fill the ranks of those that failed.

Personally, they can say whatever they want as long as they don't add 200 dailies to do ever again. No flying won't hurt me and if the garrison keep looking good I will be happy. Besides, by the first patch we will be flyin around minding our own business like complete autists again, don't worry.
    I don't see what is such a big fuzz about having to ride around for a while is?

Vanilla... god I wouldn't want that game back. Let it rest. And the people who though raiding was hard back then: qt xD The only thing hard back then was to organize 39 other people and keep them in check, well until twin emperor/c'thun/naxx40. Atleast that is how I remember it. TBC, pretty much the same except smaller numbers, then wotlk good raids good raids... Good times were had; algalon, alone in the darkness, ToC25hc Anub, profzor Putricide 25hc and LK25hc... so much fun.
    Dragon soul... Dragon souls creator can drown in a sea of liquid shit.
    if WoD raiding will be better than MoP raiding I will def. keep raiding (even if it costs me some sleep deprevation)

Deleted
    I started playing during the european open beta and have been playing since, with a long break during Cataclysm. My favourite expansion is Wrath of the Lich King, but I enjoyed Mists of Pandaria too despite all the criticism. Needless to say, I can't wait for Warlords of Draenor.

Vanilla was bestest, cause I had time to actually play. That is a lie though. Wrath was the best. Mostly because of Ulduar. Loved Ulduar.

I remember the Blood Plague, I remember gathering stuff for AQ event, remember first time seeing Ragnaros. Remember when they made it so decurse required you to actually target people instead of spamming one button. It was the best of times and it was the worst of times.

06/02/2005 EU. I still think vanilla was my favorite. It may not have been the best as far as features and content goes, but it had a level of immersion and community that doesn't exist anymore. A player's reputation meant something, world pvp was a thing. I just had a lot more fun during that time.

Deleted
    Never got past level 40, but I did play casually.

I played Vanilla way back when and leveled to 40 something.

I was an Orc Arms warrior... carrying a shield if I recall correctly hehe!

Met a girl and then came back to WoW later on the eve of Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic was a great experience. Took me months to level up. It was like my 3/4th MMORPG but by FAAAR the best one. The MMO's i played prior to that was 95% about grinding out levels till level 200 or something only to keep on grinding ^^. WoW was different because there were tons of quests wich made you travel all over the place till level 60 after wich you were suposed to play 'end game'.

was a great time then.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

For me Vanilla was an amazing social environment where I knew 90 percent of my server. We would always just hang out in-between raiding and it was FUN. let me tell you.

These days you cant even make friends because the community is so negative.
    Last edited by Mermaid; 2014-07-30 at 08:47 PM.

I came in during after the Maraudon patch I think. Played my lock til like 56 then waited on BC and got to 70. Raided in WotLK and have been subbed on and off since. Looking forward to WoD because Gul'Dan, that's why!

10+ Year Old Account
    One day. Called the game shit and came back in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    People who say vanilla was shit either 1. didnt really play it, or 2. didn't have any friends / didn't raid.

For me Vanilla was an amazing social environment where I knew 90 percent of my server. We would always just hang out in-between raiding and it was freaking FUN. let me tell you.

These days you cant even make friends because the community is such garbage.
    this x 1000
    well that and i was in school back then. so i was playing with irl friends aswell.
    Classic was the best time. but not only gameplay wise. i had the time to comit into it and had football friends who played aswell
    so even if we dident play it, we where talking about it untill we got home from school/spots

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    Too many clicked they did play vanilla, must be fakers some.
    Yup, there was only like 8 million wow players in the last quarter of vanilla, surely these 1300, must be ''fakers''.

It's true that the game is way more diverse and better these days, but for those of us who have done organized raiding since you could raid BRS it has lost the novelty. For me I kind of lost the YES! feel of downing bosses about the end of BC, and the raids in WotlK and beyond has been more or less core'ish until I stopped doing scheduled raids in Cataclysm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    i did and i have the pvp title to prove it(well its only the general title but still)
    ''Only''. Gief.

Legionnaire here :/ (3% off Centurion, then 2 weeks abroad and NOPE, NOT GONNA START OVER FROM R6 /wrists)

Didn't play much in MoP, but WoD is shaping up nicely.

I think a lot of people actually lie, for some stupid reason, and say they played in vanilla just to seem cool. Vanilla had a decent ammount of players but nothing compared to know, and 80% played in vanilla? Yea right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    People who say vanilla was shit either 1. didnt really play it, or 2. didn't have any friends / didn't raid.

For me Vanilla was an amazing social environment where I knew 90 percent of my server. We would always just hang out in-between raiding and it was freaking FUN. let me tell you.

These days you cant even make friends because the community is such garbage.
    I agree. I had a huge friend list and I knew whom to ask if I needed a good tank, a blacksmith with a lot of recipes or a few tips on how to play my class. Guilds were massive too, there was always someone to chat or do stuff with. I also knew a lot of my opponents back when I tried to reach Rank 11 and farm AV, AB and WSG reputations, since battlegroups didn't exist yet.

At the end of the day, you indeed had to grind -a lot-, but at least you had good friends to grind with.