• Started Old School Vanilla

2,033 79.32%
  • Came in the later days BCS or Later

530 20.68%
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    During my first few months I selected 'need' for every item that dropped, because as a child I was taught to believe being 'greed'-y was wrong.
    This is so cute.

So cute, you are the first quote I've ever put in my signature. Congratulations.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2013-11-15 at 10:34 AM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

15+ Year Old Account
    I started playing November 2005 but I only played sporadically and was only level 44 when TBC released, so I never raided Vanilla. I didn't start raiding until mid-BC.

I do however remember the unstable servers, the regular "Your talent points have been reset" messages when logging in (due to yet another character "rebalancing") and all the other "wonderful" features that classic wow had. All that was offset by the sense of wonder and sheer scale of the world. Everything was new.

To the poster above - some games are fun because they're challenging.

Deleted
    i'm really curious about how many answered the poll honestly. For me: i started in vanilla, got the game as a gift and at the start i hated the game because it was so hard (read boring grind fest) and i was stupid enough to had made a paladin which was attrocious (auto attack, seal hammer that was it) but somehow the game was very addictive and i started playing more and more and started raiding with some friends (started with mc after bwl was released) and now here i am still playing in mop (with some summer breaks ofc)

In all honesty i dont really understand why people say vanilla was that good, it was a long grind fest where you had to grind hours of mobs just for 1 level and when you finaly turned 60 the grinding even got worse (attunements, resi gear, gold, .....) and i find it very wierd that a lot of people falsely say they played back then since you gain nothing with it

Deleted
    Started May 2005, I had already played Ragnarok Online and FFXI so I thought I knew what to expect, but WoW literally blew my mind. Just stopped once, in TBC when raiding became too much of a chore, then I came back for WotLK and I did not stop until now.

Vanilla is overrated, it's a faded memory people cling on to. This is the same syndrome as the old men at the cafè has, everything was better in the old days but it wasn't.

Deleted
    I joined in BC, March 2007. I was such a noob back then :P

midnight release back in 2004 drunk in wal-mart line .. was a fun night.

I started WoW in early 2005. So I have played WoW for almost nine years (/embarassed). My brother introduced me to WoW and I was just sold immediatly. I leveled my druid to 60 along with my brother who played a rogue. Good times.
    Last edited by Mikael123; 2013-11-15 at 10:36 AM.

Vanilla was amazing for me because it felt like a "real" world.
    You saw people everywhere. World PvP in Hillsbrad was amazing and i really felt that my realm was a community.

Things like Flying Mounts, LFD / LFR and Arenas ruined most of my immersion but i can't see WoW without them now. Also, i don't have the time to play that i had in 2004.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

I did. Vanilla was shit, but we didn't know any better and neither did the devs.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by achrius777 View Post
    Seriously how many actually played Vanilla? From what I see not alot. World of Warcraft was one of the most succesful MMO's to ever be released.....and it all started with NO FLYING, NO GROUP FINDER, it really started with a very bare minimum system.
    And yet WoW has always been the most casual mmo on the market ever and that's the reason for its success. WoW staying the most casual mmo on the market with all the improvements makes it the biggest sub based mmo on the market.

Oh, and I did play Vanilla and didn't like many things about it. But there was no alternative back in the day and I liked the idea of mmo in general. But really, both Vanilla and TBC has so many annoying elements that I've almost quit at the end of TBC cause I was fed up with the bs. The major changes in the game direction that came with WotLK made me stay and I don't regret because since WotLK the game was in vast majority only better and better. Yeah, there were always some issues and some things that needed a fix but nothing compares to how imperfect the game in Vanilla was.

Deleted
    I did play quite briefly in Vanilla wow. I remember making (inc obvious class/race) a Nelf Hunter, getting to about level 9 and thinking... Not for me thanks.

Came back in TBC to give WoW another try and made a Draenei Mage which I am still playing to this day.

this question is like asking how many was at Woodstock or how many saw Sex Pistols gig in Manchester at the Free Trade Hall. The latter was supposedly seen by like 100s of people but when asked later turns out the venue held like 30 000 or something.

I can't actually remember when I started but I think it was just as TBC released. Don't know if I started pre or post it. I think it was like 2-3 weeks after TBC came.

Played wow in the Preorder beta, it was great for its time! But too time consuming imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't. I mean technically a i played vanilla couple of days before tbc hit. But i was such a noob that i didn't even noitce it so much

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laukkanen View Post
    Sex Pistols gig in Manchester at the Free Trade Hall. The latter was supposedly seen by like 100s of people but when asked later turns out the venue held like 30 000 or something.
    haha so true. In fact there was about 50 people there that night. Watch 24 Hour Party People if you haven't already - good film.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Comparing vanilla WoW to what it is now, it completely SUCKED. People claiming it was better in the old days are jsut brainwashed by nostalgia. Only things i hate on are LFG, LFR and the battleground queue option in interface.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Korean beta which was before european beta. I was very eager to try WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Laukkanen View Post
    this question is like asking how many was at Woodstock or how many saw Sex Pistols gig in Manchester at the Free Trade Hall. The latter was supposedly seen by like 100s of people but when asked later turns out the venue held like 30 000 or something.
    And by any standards woodstock was a godawful mess of a festival in all ways, except for the music, kinda like what vanilla wow is when compared to todays MMOs

Wow launch was one hell of a rush, as one can recall the often massive queues to servers. And of course the just as massive whine on the forums.

http://dagobah.net/flash/wow_waiting.swf anyone?
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hm..when was that? When we were in MC, Rag dropped T2 pants....other than that, T2 came from BWL.
    Before patch 1.4... Blizzard later removed it from MC and put it in BWL.