Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i generally enjoy having it in the game, but pet battling is boring. three moves only, very slow-paced and repetitive, and something is wrong with the RNG cuz i miss shots that have 100% hit chance all the time...
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    It is like exactly people who want to remove flying from others, they don't like it

No one force you to play pet battle, no one force you to fly, if you hate flying, don't buy it simple
    If you hate mini pet don't even try it

No one force you with a gun in head that you "must" play pet battle as far i know, heck one of my real life friends who play since MoP start didn't buy pet battle ability even in first place
    But what if I like mini pets, and liked collecting them, but have absolutely no interest in pet battles? I'm basically locked out of one of my past-time fun sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    But what if I like mini pets, and liked collecting them, but have absolutely no interest in pet battles? I'm basically locked out of one of my past-time fun sources.
    I think you fundamentally misunderstand what you're saying-- you like collecting them, but feel you can't collect them because you think you have to battle to collect any? There's a lot you don't even have to battle to get.

Either that or you're just trying to be difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    Because haters are under the mistaken belief that Pet Battles took away from their PVE/PVP experience. No new BG's or Dungeons, well if we didnt have pet battles...Classes unbalanced.. well if we didnt have pet battles.. LOL POKEMAN get rid of pet battles..

Bottom Line: Hey guys you didnt do Pet Battles this week so we are screwed said no RL/ RBG Leader ever.
    And they also use the argument that Pet Battles are correlated to the WoW sub drops, giving the assumption that they're causing people to leave the game.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Only complaint I have about the pet battle system is that abilities have an 95, 90, or 85% chance to hit. I've done the 1000 win grind for all level 25 pets. The most painful aspect is losing match after match not because you played wrong, but because you have an ability miss.

Then again, I suppose its also not fun to just queue into someone who just completely counters your entire team, and no matter what you do, you cannot win. Even worse is when you can't win is because they stack broken pets that are just out of balance.

Pet battles to me are idiotic. Never done them, never will. Zero interest.

Having said that, sure, let them stay in the game. They DO take up dev cycles, contrary to popular belief, but if it's not mandatory content I'm fine with it.... someone out there enjoys it.

The funny thing here is that most folks who are in the "if you don't like it, don't play it" camp change their tune mighty quick whenever someone brings up the idea of a classic server, for example. That sort of hypocrisy is pretty difficult to take seriously.

I don't think they should remove them. I just would've never added them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like how they are turned based and 1 by 1 fight, I think you should pick your spells for your critters and raise them and then just unleash them and let them do their own and help each other in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefeng View Post
    I really don't understand why we have them except to appeal to the Pokemon crowd. I play WoW to kill bosses. Anything in the game that doesn't help me kill bosses better is useless to me. I don't have a single character that has trained for pet battles. However, rather than call for their removal I accept that some people really like them. I sell every pet that has dropped for me and I make loads of gold sometimes. Some of the people that really like them help me kill bosses better. Since they like them it doesn't bother me.
    Some of us never played Pokemon is one point and find it fun. Another is you have a tiny view of the game, I would have thought there was some f2p game that just let you kill bosses. As your interest in all the rest of WoW is non-existant, why pay for the sub for a mmoRPG, or maybe why does your mummy pay for it?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    I think you fundamentally misunderstand what you're saying-- you like collecting them, but feel you can't collect them because you think you have to battle to collect any? There's a lot you don't even have to battle to get.

Either that or you're just trying to be difficult.
    Oh, I work to collect the ones I don't have to battle to get. There are just some (see the Timeless Isles pets...) that can't be obtained without battling.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Oh, I work to collect the ones I don't have to battle to get. There are just some (see the Timeless Isles pets...) that can't be obtained without battling.
    There's more pets available for you to collect now that pet battling is a thing than there was prior to pet battling, even without you capturing/winning any

I genrally enjoy pet battles.
    Collecting them is still the most fun though, the other gameplay / leveling stuff is kinda tiresome at times due to the enormous impact of RNG on the outcome, although the celestial tournament, and leveling that cool pet you just got makes it quite enjoyable ans rewarding.
    PvP battles are the least fun, I'd dare to say they're not fun at all: Everybody are using cheap tricks, and the most annoying tactics just to win, same pets over and over, and it just gets old too fast... if you want to win you can't use your favourite pets... becausee their abillities aren't on par with the other annoying shit the lamer pets have... or just don't have enough speed... *shrug*
    Last edited by Falu; 2013-11-17 at 09:20 AM.

It agree that it's stupid for people to expect it to be removed from the game. I get why alot of people don't like them though. Blizzard basicly took pokemon and made a crappy version of it. If I wanted to play that sort of game I'm a 100% certain I'd get a way better experience playing the original over this. I tried it and got like 10+ pets to 25 or so but it started feeling like a drag very fast. The world is just too big to visit alot of the trainers, not to mention some are cross faction... The catching system can be a pain aswell, but it's supposed to be hard I guess. The later trainers can feel pretty stupid if you don't have any ideal pets (no critters vs earth spirit tamer for example) and having to level a pet or farm for a rare high level pet is boring as fuck.

TL;DR: If I wanted to play pokemon, I'd play pokemon not WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they are a GIGANTIC waste of developers time and resources that could be better spent on features the majority of the player base actually enjoy and benefit from. In my opinion, Pet Battles is a cheap and gimmicky feature that detracts from the overall "feel" of the game.
    "Come, Stormrage, and I will show you what happens to those that betray the lord of the Legion!" — Mannoroth.

Don't hate them, I occasionally enjoy them, but that's it. It's a minigame with not much substance, much like the farm for me. An aspect I don't like about Pet Battles are the cheating NPCs in the upper tiers. I don't get why they have to overpower you with epic or legendary pets, ridiculous attack combinations that would never be allowed for players in one pet or 50% damage reduction buffs, simply because Blizzard can't come up with a non-stupid AI for them. This makes these fights not really fair and kills a lot of fun for me personally, so I just skip out on most of that after beating it once.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    I personally think the amount of people who view pet battles as a successful and fun addition outweigh those who don't, even Blizzard themselves have stated that much. Something along the lines of they can't believe that something that was a small project by the UI department was so successful. Talk about little investment, big gains.

On the topic of why people dislike them, I believe they mistakenly believe that it has taken a large time away from development for something they think would be better that the UI team isn't responsible for. Now, considering its the UI team, it might have been something like the heirloom and toy interface coming with WoD, or the anticipated transmog interface. While some people want that more, I personally feel that pet battles appeals to a wider audience as it gives an actual gameplay investment, rather than a quality of life improvement such as bag space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I do them? NO

I really don't know why people bitch about them though, its just more content. I just dont do them because it doesnt interest me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Path View Post
    Because they are a GIGANTIC waste of developers time and resources that could be better spent on features the majority of the player base actually enjoy and benefit from. In my opinion, Pet Battles is a cheap and gimmicky feature that detracts from the overall "feel" of the game.
    Well since you like to speak for the majority and have the data to back up your claims, what "Development" do you think the UI team could have better put their time towards? Also, since you like to make sweeping statements, the people with the actual statistics (Blizzard) have stated that MAJORITY of people have put a good amount of time into playing pet battles, and that the relatively small amount of time and effort that the UI Team has yielded results that they didn't expect and that it was an amazing result. And yes, the UI team, the one not responsible for any raid, pvp, dungeon, class balance or anything else you might be thinking of.

So to recap, you think:
    -developers should make something the majority of players enjoy and benefit from; and
    -Pet battles were a GIGANTIC waste of developers time.

Well I'm afraid to tell you that it wasn't developers time that was "wasted". And the time spent wasn't "GIGANTIC". Also it was something that the majorty of players enjoy and thus did benefit from!

10+ Year Old Account
    People who complain and whine about pet battles are typically those who cannot do it properly. Lose a lot. Don't understand it then rage and call for it to be removed as they don't get it or can't do it. you know the type of kids who find a game too hard "WAH IT CHEATS, IT'S TOO HARD, THIS GAME SUCKS!" then put some cheats in, complete it then say it was too easy and they are a pro at it.

It's a shame really. I personally love it. It's something there that I can pick or choose to do as and when I like and find it entertaining and fun. Plus I love farming the pets.

Blizzard have said that 50% of players engaged in Pet Battles earlier on in MoP, and that it was much more popular than they expected.

I don't have any numbers on hand to back it up, but it seems to me that it's fairly likely there are at least as many people who do pet battle-related things every day as there are people who raid. Or maybe I'm getting the 'this boss was defeated in normal by x% of players' mixed up with the LFR numbers.

Regardless, there are enough people who like them that they are a resounding success. The people who 'hate' them are just people with different opinions. They don't have to like it; as long as it's successful it's staying, and it'll be supported in the future. It's as legitimate a progression style as PvE and PvP, it's just admittedly non-Warcraft-y, but that doesn't really matter.