Thread: 120hz on WoW

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

120hz on WoW

Yo guys, decided to splash the cash and finally order this monitor http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL2420T...k+eQualizer%29

Obviously fps games are going to be a hell of a lot smoother, but can someone that has one or has changed to 120 hz tell me if this has a big effect on WoW?

Thanks!

Lol you bought reckfuls monitor. The human eye cant tell a difference to answer your question to the best of my knowledge.

Warning: Please do not post misinformation like this. Further posts of this nature may be infracted.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-11-15 at 10:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You might be able to tell the difference, but remember, you run 60fps in game right now you will not notice the difference. So factor that in before you buy one.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    Lol you bought reckfuls monitor. The human eye cant tell a difference to answer your question to the best of my knowledge.
    Reckful is irrelevant to me, the monitor itself makes a huge difference to gaming, I already know that because I've played on one. I haven't played one on WoW, however, which is why I'm asking the question ;>

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Reckful is irrelevant to me, the monitor itself makes a huge difference to gaming, I already know that because I've played on one. I haven't played one on WoW, however, which is why I'm asking the question ;>
    Most day to day tasks for which you do it will be noticeable. The main thing you won't notice the difference in is raiding. I have a pretty powerful rig and I only maintain 50-55fps raiding 25 man. In every other manner the game will look great.

Also please don't bring 60vs120 and the human eye into this. Your wrong about not being able to notice above 60. End of story.
    Desktop: i7 6700k @ 4.8GHz | MSI 1080ti Gaming X | EVGA Classified K | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V @ 3200MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) Micron 2TB SSD (Games) | Seasonic 750W Titanium | Corsair 750D | Acer x34 Predator Benq PD3200U
    HIDevolution NP9877 Laptop: Delidded i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 1080 | 16GB G.Skill @ 2946MHz | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (OS) 2x 500GB SSDs (Games) | 1440p 120HZ GSync Display

10+ Year Old Account
    Id say the big difference comes in it being a TN panel rather then a IPS with vertical viewing angles and probably colors as well ( never had this monitor so can not judge effectively ) and not if its 60 or 120hz in a game like WoW, for fps games its different though as getting as many frames as possible have a bigger gain there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    Utter bullshit. Human eye doesn't see in FPS.

In PvP that monitor is a decent choice if it is backed up with decent hardware - but in raiding there is no way in hell he will achieve 120fps.

For WoW IPS is superior, unless you're really serious about PvP and focus on it. Arenas aren't that hard on your framerate.

Meh, this again. If you want a good monitor then get it. The human eye can tell the difference between 60 fps and 120 fps. Not saying that it is that big of a deal, but you can tell the difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the thread please people, I've already ordered it and am not asking about what eyes can see, just whether 120 hz makes a big difference in WoW. Thanks for the replies.

Read the thread please people, I've already ordered it and am not asking about what eyes can see, just whether 120 hz makes a big difference in WoW. Thanks for the replies.
    Congratulations on your purchase, and hopefully the monitor comes to your liking. I've been using the ASUS VG278HE monitor for around a year now, and it's 144hz. I can clearly see how smooth the games look like, and one of them is WoW. It struggles a tiny bit with the smoothness when I end up with a 25 man raid, such as LFR, and even with that situation, I still easily manage to see the difference. It's just awesome. I'll never, ever turn back to the regular 60 FPS monitors, even if the panel type they use is superior. Very happy with my monitor.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Utter bullshit. Human eye doesn't see in FPS.

In PvP that monitor is a decent choice if it is backed up with decent hardware - but in raiding there is no way in hell he will achieve 120fps.

For WoW IPS is superior, unless you're really serious about PvP and focus on it. Arenas aren't that hard on your framerate.
    Ahem.....did we misread HERTZ for frames per second?

OT: Not like I am up to date really, but aren't higher hertz great for 3d setups?
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    OT: Not like I am up to date really, but aren't higher hertz great for 3d setups?
    Yeah, something like that. "3D" modes require a 120hz monitor, so that the left and right images are both projected at 60hz each.

Deleted
    Maybe in WoW it won't be THAT much different purely because high FPS in WoW is pretty much non existant. But on your desktop and FPS games and such, you will notice a VERY satisfying improvement to how smooth and fluid everything feels.

I bought my 120hz about 2 months ago and was very dubious and sceptical. I don't regret it at all.

More than 60Hz will only make a difference when you have more than 60FPS. You need to have a very good rig to achieve that but then you have the same difference as in other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase, and hopefully the monitor comes to your liking. I've been using the ASUS VG278HE monitor for around a year now, and it's 144hz. I can clearly see how smooth the games look like, and one of them is WoW. It struggles a tiny bit with the smoothness when I end up with a 25 man raid, such as LFR, and even with that situation, I still easily manage to see the difference. It's just awesome. I'll never, ever turn back to the regular 60 FPS monitors, even if the panel type they use is superior. Very happy with my monitor.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to read. Cheers guys.

Deleted
    Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to read. Cheers guys.
    The whole "what the eye can see" debate is pointless I agree but also if you already bought something just wait and test it for yourself. If you're just looking for someone to agree with you and confirm your purchase then the topic is kinda pointless in my opinion and usually (unfortunately) ends in people debating silly stuff. If you're truly worried/concerned how something will perform in x conditions then you should have asked BEFORE buying it.

Don't take it to heart, just my 2 cents and congrats on the new monitor.

Deleted
    it will make a difference simply due to the fact that it is running faster than an old 60hz monitor. Everything will be more fluid.

I have a 120 hz monitor and people that don't wouldn't have a clue. Graphics are fresher and much crisper. Hell even rolling the mouse across the screen is amazingly different experience. Now the frames you push in game certainly matters. Also I wouldn't get it strictly for WoW per say. But I can tell you for a fact in FPS games you have an advantage with a 120 hz monitor as long as your hardware is up to the challenge.

You may or may not notice a difference. If your computer currently can only run WoW at 45 FPS then you can get whatever the hell monitor you want 120Hz, 240Hz, or whatever and you will not see an ounce of difference. Because you will still be running at 45 FPS on any monitor you try. The only way you will see a noticeable difference is if your machine can push more than 60 FPS (Not Spike FPS but Average FPS). Only then will you start to see a difference. If you are doing 45 FPS average, you are not going to magically be doing 90 FPS because you got a monitor with double the Hz. If your machine currently is not able to keep your game at 60 FPS all the time, you will not see any change in your game.

Wait until gsync comes out, apparently it looks ridiculously amazing in person. It will be available as an upgrade kit to the asus 144hz at release, and a couple months after that you can buy the monitor with it installed. Here is a recap of what gsync is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZS8Bbyf1to