What new video card should I get?

Welcome,

So im upgrading the ole' comp next week and basically I just want something better than what I have. Now, im at work so I cant say for sure the card that I have as I bought it about 15 months ago brand new for about $130.00 if that helps. It was great I played battlefield 3 on high settings as well as ran WoW pretty smooth. Im looking to get something around the 300-350$ range and am open to any make. I just want to play battlefield 4 on high - ultra as well as run WoW completely smooth no matter where I am (my current one gets some fiesty lag in Vale).

Along with the new card ill be doing the standard computer wipe and reinstall of windows and also buy more ram. It just needs a over all good cleaning and im thinking its time for a new card.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

I am looking at the same type of thing. What I have decided on was a EVGA 770 Superclocked. It may be dated by tax time. But I am also going with prolly 16 gb of ram and giving the GF the 8 gigs I have now. Video Card choice may change but it will prolly be EVGA NVIDIA something or another. Just dont want to spend as much as my rent. Sub $400 for video card alone.

Wonderful Sig made by Torgerd

That price range you should find the 7970 and the newly released R9 280x both being strong contenders.

But dont forget that games like BF4 is very heavy on the cpu. If your CPU is still phenom or what not it will bottle neck your system and a new graphics card will not fix all the issues you are having.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    That price range you should find the 7970 and the newly released R9 280x both being strong contenders.

But dont forget that games like BF4 is very heavy on the cpu. If your CPU is still phenom or what not it will bottle neck your system and a new graphics card will not fix all the issues you are having.
    Well with BF4 mantle will fix the CPU bottle neck issue even on a Phenom. Im too lazy to go find the link, but someone was testing an beta build of it and they were underclocking a FX 8350, and even down to 2ghz it wasnt slowing down a 290x.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

What kind of CPU do you have? It matters more than GPU in WoW.

R9 280X or R9 290 (without X) should handle both admirably though.
    For the green team, they don't really have anything with good performance:money ratio in that segment.

I personally have a i5 3570k

I would like to run wow on ultra settings getting 100-150 fps in raids. i get like 60 now with the 660 superclocked. But i know some other games need more specs so i like to stay on same gen.

had a 550ti in cata, 660 superclocked in mists. In WoD i wanna get a 770. I am not a huge pc gamer but i like to get good frames like everyone does. And have that overhead buffer of fps (like everyone does) what kind of increase could i expect with a 770? as in fps on ultra? In most gaming comps is 16 gigs becoming normal? I also like to run pandora, and have mmo champ up, and mumble going. So i think 16 gigs is way to go. recount already telling me there is not enough memory to run it. So that is why I am going up. It wont be till tax time but I am just researching now. I just got this comp but WoD coming must upgrade while i can.

I heard intel and nvidia get a performance boost in WoW? Does that still hold true? And how far away am I from having to go haswell?
    Never went red team ever so am just curious. I will be checking back before i make final purchase. Any plans of cards coming out before March
    Last edited by Elmister; 2013-11-17 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added few things?

Wonderful Sig made by Torgerd

The 770 is basically identical to a GTX 680, but at slightly higher clocks.
    Not worth it.
    I have not heard of Pandora, so I cannot comment.
    Recount was bad with resource management already when it launched, I suggest an alternative damage tracker addon. Either way, it will no use up 4 GiB on its own.

Intels processors are better suited for WoW, it has nothing to with WoW preferring the brand.
    GPU wise, you do not need to upgrade for WoD. Any framerate issues you are having with that level of a GPU is down to CPU.
    AMD has better GPUs for the pricepoint of GTX 770. I would not recommend buying one, hardcore nVidia fan or not. I have a GTX 680 fwiw.

You do not have to upgrade to Haswell. It's a waste of money for the 10% benefit.

Yes, there are plans for new GPUs before March. Ask then, not now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haven't heard of Pandora? The Free internet streaming music station?

Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    Haven't heard of Pandora? The Free internet streaming music station?
    I have not.
    I live in Sweden, we've had "Spotify" since like 2006 or 2007.

EDIT: From their wikipedia: "The service, operated by Pandora Media, Inc., is only available in the United States, Australia and New Zealand.", useless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I have not.
    I live in Sweden, we've had "Spotify" since like 2006 or 2007.

EDIT: From their wikipedia: "The service, operated by Pandora Media, Inc., is only available in the United States, Australia and New Zealand.", useless.
    I apologize! It is just like spotify pretty much.

i assume you are air cooling?

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-iPower-DLD...words=his+280x

i love HIS when i go for amd cards, this specific one has extra power phases over the reference model, allowing higher voltage (which is unlocked on this card btw) and higher overclock potential over the reference models. This model also fits reference card waterblocks, i actually owned this card(when it was called the 7970) and waterblocked it and got some great overclocks out of it.

Now if you want to go for an nvidia card, the 770 is a great option, this one specifically, http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-D...words=evga+770 The ACX cooler from EVGA is superb and offers amazing cooling, i have owned a total of 6 different 780 cards which came with the ACX cooling from evga(all were 780 classified models though) and had no problems with the cards or the cooling solution, i eventually waterblocked them, benched them and sold them off, am now waiting on the 780ti classified release :P The 770 ACX model from evga is a reference model card and has a waterblock that will fit it from EK if you wish to watercool in the future.

Something that you should give us when you are asking for gpu advice is what resolution you are playing at, im gonna assume 1920x1080 since it is the most common resolution, in which case both of these cards will do excellent in. But if you are in 2560x1440 or higher, you will notice the 7970(280x) pull ahead due to its 3gb vram and 384 bit bus.

hope this helps, any other questions ill be happy to help.

edit in - another option for the amd side of things is the asus dc2t, these cards have won many awards for their silent operations under load, i got to test one my self, the results were truly surprising, while it didnt perform as well at its max overclock as my HIS card did, it did keep the card 2-3c cooler, and was quieter. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-R9280X-DC...ords=asus+280x

This model comes with a factory overclock, if you arent into overclocking.
    Last edited by Gorehowl; 2013-11-18 at 04:37 AM.