Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroes of the Storm gameplay.

So ive played them all and I'm hoping HotS will be more like HoN, as far as game mechanics and speed go. The dotas and LoL are just to slow paced for me. I will be upset if the game is slow paced and dumbed down like LoL. I'm hoping for HoN on use style items as well.

What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    The games are fast paced; lasting only 15-20 minutes.

That said, they are fairly simply mechanically, so if you're the kind of person who calls those things "dumbed down," the game probably won' tbe what you're looking for?

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    So ive played them all and I'm hoping HotS will be more like HoN, as far as game mechanics and speed go. The dotas and LoL are just to slow paced for me. I will be upset if the game is slow paced and dumbed down like LoL. I'm hoping for HoN on use style items as well.

What do you think?
    There's no laning phase of only last-hitting minions, so that's one less thing to make it a slower-paced game. In terms of cast animation times and/or turn rates, we don't know yet, but it's assumed that Heroes won't have DOTA slow turn rates.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    There's no laning phase of only last-hitting minions, so that's one less thing to make it a slower-paced game. In terms of cast animation times and/or turn rates, we don't know yet, but it's assumed that Heroes won't have DOTA slow turn rates.
    That was something I payed close attention to watching it on blizzcon. Although it didn't have dota slow turn rates, it still looked like it turned slower than LoL. Not by much though.

This game honestly looks kind of like a gankfest, but then again it is a game that isn't focused around only taking towers they're base down. Its got actual objectives for each map that will make or break some games.

Deleted
    I think what he means the speed of the game in general, like how fast the heroes react when clicking and how fast the abilities goes of after using and such, HoN is alot faster than both LoL and Dota 2 when it comes to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    I think what he means the speed of the game in general, like how fast the heroes react when clicking and how fast the abilities goes of after using and such, HoN is alot faster than both LoL and Dota 2 when it comes to that.
    Yeah I got that now after the other replies

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I love the gameplay of HoT's, it's exactly what I am looking for, exactly what I love playing, it reminds me of all hero areanas I played in W3 and also whole W3 climate.
    Soo glad they get rid of annyoing moba ideas - laning phase, last-hitting. I hate early-game in LoL, laning phase is booring as possible no matter what happends, escpecially if you dominate your lane 90% of games.

The only thing I am missing in HoT's are items ;(

Deleted
    So, hows does the game work then ? Surely if one team wins the first couple of fights that pretty much gg no ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    So, hows does the game work then ? Surely if one team wins the first couple of fights that pretty much gg no ?
    I'm going ahead and say no since Blizzard said that snowballing isn't something that can happen as easy in say LoL. The problem is that the heroes don't become stronger in a short time, the problem is that if you keep winning teamfights, you will be able to do objectives more easily and all of them, that is why I hope they nerf the damage on that map with the cannons because, atm, the damage it does is absurd on the buildings.

But taking out the objectives, which gives you minions that are super strong or stuff, snowballing isn't something that can be achieved, maybe after winning say 5 teamfights straight against the other team, so easily.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I'm going ahead and say no since Blizzard said that snowballing isn't something that can happen as easy in say LoL. The problem is that the heroes don't become stronger in a short time, the problem is that if you keep winning teamfights, you will be able to do objectives more easily and all of them, that is why I hope they nerf the damage on that map with the cannons because, atm, the damage it does is absurd on the buildings.

But taking out the objectives, which gives you minions that are super strong or stuff, snowballing isn't something that can be achieved, maybe after winning say 5 teamfights straight against the other team, so easily.
    But even when it took soooo much DMG on the buildings the game lasted for around 20 minutes. Nerfing them will make the games longer than they want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    But even when it took soooo much DMG on the buildings the game lasted for around 20 minutes. Nerfing them will make the games longer than they want.
    Well, it depends on how long you can activate it. If it's like once every 7 mins or something long like that, I think the high damage is justified, if not, it needs a nerf.

I don't know. When I saw the stream it seemed to do a lot of damage but I overlooked on how long a team can take to activate it.

Deleted

Okay, but surely if you win one team fight, you should (not that you will) win the others ? i'm just trying to see what the "catch up mechanic" is, for dota and lol its exp and items, i'm still not sure what it is in Heroes.

Gameplay looked pretty fun tho, hope i get beta to try it out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffler View Post
    Okay, but surely if you win one team fight, you should (not that you will) win the others ? i'm just trying to see what the "catch up mechanic" is, for dota and lol its exp and items, i'm still not sure what it is in Heroes.
    What I understand is that if you win one, two or maybe even 3 or more teamfights, doesn't automatically mean you will win the next one because the snowball concept on this moba seems to be practically, almost, non existent(perhaps, and hoping for it), with that, I'd say the only 'catch up mechanic' here is exp and to be able to make objectives faster or to be able to control them over the other team.

Deleted
    What I understand is that if you win one, two or maybe even 3 or more teamfights, doesn't automatically mean you will win the next one because the snowball concept on this moba seems to be practically, almost, non existent(perhaps, and hoping for it), with that, I'd say the only 'catch up mechanic' here is exp and to be able to make objectives faster or to be able to control them over the other team.
    Hmmm i'm still a bit confused, will have to wait until i play it to really understand how balancing is gona work.

Deleted
    the gameplay looked insanely fluent and quick, don't forget, all we got to see was an Alpha version!!

10+ Year Old Account

What do you think?
    Having played it at BlizzCon I can say it's definitely a fast paced game, a lot more action-y. The game modes are objective based and aren't the 'typical' map used in most moba games (Summoner's Rift). Games also last around 20 minutes, as opposed to 45 minutes+. I played the ghost pirate or whatever map and had a blast. The lines were ridiculously long, so I only got to play once, but the pirate ship one seemed to revolve around collecting treasure and turning it to hurt the other team. It wasn't about farming creeps or feeding one of your teammates. Which was really nice, as it let support types shine more and made it feel like a lot more of a team effort.

What do you think?
    You have to define what you mean by "dumbed" down" in what gameplay comparison and operation you are using as an objective qualifier. Otherwise there is no discussion value in the vagueness or personal bias expressed in the quoted section.

I play quite a bit of Dota2 and Smite, and after playing HOTS at Blizzcon i would gladly toss blizzard $60 to let me buy what i played on the show floor, fast games, i didnt miss the item buying at all and the introduction of the shared xp really promoted a lot more team work. longest game took just under 20min and thats because we tried to muscle through and ignore the special mechanics of the map. (tip the objectives of the map along with the merc camps are probably the most important things its a huge mental shift)

What ever was the skill behind buying items? I don't see how removing it is detrimental to the game. Plus, if they do the talenting thing right, you can tailor your end game to what the other team is showing up with. Lots of potential there. I believe the Abbadur in that dev match tailored his talents to siegecraft, and so he could summon minions which did more damage to buildings, and he could just send them at the top lane while occupying a teammate in bot and playing that little piece.

I'm still not convinced about the team XP thing. I do wonder if the team that gets to 10 and gets their ults just doesn't auto push and iwn. And if you have 1 afk person, it hurts you even more than traditionally because your farm is slower (as a team) than the others.

I didn't notice a huge power shift when the first people hit 10 personally and that is a good thought about the afk person no real experience with that due to no one being afk on the show floor. The ults were fun but none of them seemed game breaking the most powerful ones (damage wise) such as Raynor's call battlecruiser were highly avoidable due to the obvious big dont stand here circle tho I did only get to see a few in the 6 or so games i played