View Poll Results: Will Pandaren or Pandaria ever get any new lore or attention after MoP?

Voters
1130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pandaren and Pandaria will remain the central focus of ALL WoW expansions to come.

57 5.04%
  • Pandaren will get more lore development than other races.

48 4.25%
  • Pandaren will get very little lore development in the future.

587 51.95%
  • Pandaren and Pandaria will be ignored in the future lore after MoP.

438 38.76%
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    I agree with most of this and it is kind of a latent point towards pandarens and monks in general. Monks thematically just don't work (for me at least) in Azeroth. In Pandaria sure, flying around punching people is cool, but I can't see two expansions down the road; pandarens or monks being all that popular.
    There were monks in WoW long before MoP, they just used basic unarmed moves prior to the development of the character class. See: Scarlet dungeons.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    There were monks in WoW long before MoP, they just used basic unarmed moves prior to the development of the character class. See: Scarlet dungeons.
    Yeah they don't work for me, I don't get what difference it makes when they were introduced. Monk to me even back in games like FFT was just cheesy.
    The one monk I liked was Yang in FF4 but I think it because he was meant to be cheesy.

The way they implemented the pandaren is what grinds my gear. They could've been really serious and all that but then you get the Tillers and Stormstout Brewery which ruins it all.
    If they just went for a more serious approach they would be as awesome as the tauren and not a joke race.

Let's go over this once again.

I love how there's this intrinsic idea in some of your minds that "joke=bad".

Warcraft 1's entire gimmick beyond being a novel new genre in gaming next to Dune was that is was a strange satirical spoof of iconic fantasy. You got to see orcs and knights and trolls speaking with funny voices and depicted as if they were animated in a Disney or Don Bluth cartoon. Every single race was given funny voices and accents with funny things to say. They are all joke races in that context. They were all designed to make you smile. The foundation of Warcraft is forever rooted in satire.

But Blizzard has a juxtaposition where they base all this on a serious world that exists inside the 4th wall, where stuff get's dark and sinister in tone. And for some reason it just works.

But you can't just ignore the fundamental 4th wall breaking aspects of Warcraft and single out the Pandaren for being a comedic spoof of something without applying the same logic to dismiss the entire game.

It's Tolkien/Warhammer meets Disney meets pop culture satire, pretend not to acknowledge it all you want, it won't change what is true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    The way they implemented the pandaren is what grinds my gear. They could've been really serious and all that but then you get the Tillers and Stormstout Brewery which ruins it all.
    If they just went for a more serious approach they would be as awesome as the tauren and not a joke race.
    Yeah, the Tauren scratch their asses constantly and make 4th wall breaking jokes about hamburger and milk and yet somehow you can ignore that to see the serious aspect of their design. Let's not even start with goblins.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Yeah, the Tauren scratch their asses constantly and make 4th wall breaking jokes about hamburger and milk and yet somehow you can ignore that to see the serious aspect of their design. Let's not even start with goblins.
    The issue is not stuff like this, every race has a joke aspect (metrosexual Belves for example), I was talking more about npcs and quests in general

The issue is not stuff like this, every race has a joke aspect (metrosexual Belves for example), I was talking more about npcs and quests in general
    So skip the Valley. I do on my alts. The rest has very little to do with the goofy side of it.

they had a WHOLE freakin expansion dedicated to them. i think thats enough lore for the remainder of this game we call world of warcraft.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Every race has its comical side so I don't see why the Pandaren are crucified for it.
    Personally I think the humans in game are a joke but that's just because I can't look at a human male in game and take it seriously with those giant arms

I am an altoholic, but never got toons past 30. I am trying to refine my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    they had a WHOLE freakin expansion dedicated to them. i think thats enough lore for the remainder of this game we call world of warcraft.
    Again, not really. Most of the 5.0 content was Pandaren focused, but the Raids were still focused on big bad creatures, the subsequent patches had very little to do with the Pandaren directly, and what little goofy shit was present was easily skippable.

I do feel they got more lore treatment than, say, Draenei or Worgen, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    So skip the Valley. I do on my alts. The rest has very little to do with the goofy side of it.
    Oh I don't know, while Pandaria could be super serious it feels very lighthearted to me. Mind, I've been feeling that the direction Warcraft lore is taking is lighthearted since Cataclysm, I'm not a MOP hater.

I agree with most of this and it is kind of a latent point towards pandarens and monks in general. Monks thematically just don't work (for me at least) in Azeroth. In Pandaria sure, flying around punching people is cool, but I can't see two expansions down the road; pandarens or monks being all that popular.
    Yeah, can't get past level 11/12 on a monk. They'll still be played by the top guilds if they're powerful, but I think that'll be it (similarly, pandas will probably bite the dust outside of the fans).

Some races have more humor within the world that exists inside the 4th wall than others. Like the goblins and the dwarves. It's not consistent at all, there is no consistent scale to base criticism here on being more of a "joke" than others. There is a stark wall between the lore of the novels and the /joke emotes, but there is an overlap seen all over the place where satire and humor still exists in the actual lore. It's selective judgement to claim the Pandaren somehow violate a precedent.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    So how would you explain how Garrosh is Warchief one moment, and is then in Old Draenor forming the Iron Horde?

With Mists of Pandaria.
    The destruction of Theramore could easily have prompted Battlefield: Barrens and the Siege of Orgrimmar.

People only hate Pandaria / Pandaren to look cool.
    It's the edgy thing to do: Hate every expansion, still plays Warcraft.

Yes, there are a lot of jokes in Pandaria. Pretty much like there are a lot of jokes in every zone. John J. Keeshan, Badlands, Gnomes, Goblins. But there are also very dark quests in there.

Warcraft ALWAYS had this kind of "joke". Like the Ogres farting in Warcraft 1/2 or the units getting angry when you kept clicking on them.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.
    Flickr

It is not the Pandaren race.. it is the way they implemented them.

One could take the devil and make him look like a joke..... I don't have an issue with the pandaren but I agree that Blizzard could have made them a bit more wow-like.
    Now, everyone who sees a pandaren just sees the kung fu panda. That is what they relate it too in fact, I do to. The similarities are obvious.

It is of no use saying that they where there in wcIII, because that is only relevant to wc-players and wow is not only for wc-players.

Yeah they don't work for me, I don't get what difference it makes when they were introduced. Monk to me even back in games like FFT was just cheesy.
    The one monk I liked was Yang in FF4 but I think it because he was meant to be cheesy.
    I think they largely work in the Diablo universe, but more because there's a real point to them that I just don't see in WoW. There are valid arguments to the contrary, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdpride View Post
    People only hate Pandaria / Pandaren to look cool.
    It's the edgy thing to do: Hate every expansion, still plays Warcraft.

Disagree, you can like certain parts of one thing, while disliking parts of it as well. I think the main focus is that there was too many jokes, not that pandaren themselves are a joke. But I may be wrong. I always liked the funny quests like the badlands gonna punch that dragon, but thats in badlands, thats just one quest.

This was so many jokes that it felt like a long crappy pandaren stand up routine, which I think diminished their reception.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    I present with you a very simple premise:

"Pandaren are a joke race because Blizzard will never again in the future show us any Pandaren lore."
    Pandaren are a joke race, but not for that reason. We haven't seen any more Worgen lore either (not that I care about them though). They were a joke to start with, and will never be anything else than an extremely annoying bottleneck in future leveling.

Disagree, you can like certain parts of one thing, while disliking parts of it as well. I think the main focus is that there was too many jokes, not that pandaren themselves are a joke. But I may be wrong. I always liked the funny quests like the badlands gonna punch that dragon, but thats in badlands, thats just one quest.

This was so many jokes that it felt like a long crappy pandaren stand up routine, which I think diminished their reception.
    Totally agree.
    I think other races had it worse (thinkg of goats from outer space) and Pandaren are known since WC3. You don't have to like them or their style, but they're definetely not more a joke than any other race implemented so far.
    The big turtle was a fairly nice idea to introduce a new player race (I also enjoyed the worgen since I was always curious what was beyond that giant gate to Gilneas before) and although they surely could have done better (you always can) it's fine with me.
    Personally, I don't like them, neither appereance nor lore-wise, but that's just me. I'd be happy not to have to go back to an asian styled setting because I don't like it in the overall warcraft-style. But it's suiting for the pandaren. And they're just part of Warcraft, fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    I think Blizzard are most likely to move on from Pandaria with the lessons learned and never look back.

Mists of Pandaria was a disaster.

I just don't see them revisiting it, or any facet of its story, ever again.

Agree with this, MoP was a joke, kung fu pandas and Chinese buildings and names have no place in Azeroth