Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why are humans so disgusting?

Ever thought about that? Humans are the only animal that smell absolutely fucking horrid mere hours after a shower. An animal can smell pretty shitty but it doesn't even come close to the natural smell of humans. At least other animals are attracted to their species natural smell. But humans have to cover up their natural smell because of how vile it is to other humans.

Human wounds, intestines, diseases, tumors etc also manifest in the most disgusting ways. I can watch a pig being slaughtered and gutted while eating a bacon cheeseburger, doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've seen chimpanzees eating their own shit and drinking their own piss, made me laugh. But when a human has their intestines hanging out, a vile tumor or eating their own shit/piss/pukes/boogers I get so disturbed by the visuals that I start to violently gag and cough.

So I'm curious why is that? Are we socially conditioned to respond this way or does it come naturally? I mean, it makes no logical sense why a human would find another humans natural smell utterly appalling or for a human to become so disturbed by an injured fellow human that fight or flight responses are triggered. No other animal reacts in this manner.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Ever thought about that? Humans are the only animal that smell absolutely fucking horrid mere hours after a shower. An animal can smell pretty shitty but it doesn't even come close to the natural smell of humans. At least other animals are attracted to their species natural smell. But humans have to cover up their natural smell because of how vile it is to other humans.

Human wounds, intestines, diseases, tumors etc also manifest in the most disgusting ways. I can watch a pig being slaughtered and gutted while eating a bacon cheeseburger, doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've seen chimpanzees eating their own shit and drinking their own piss, made me laugh. But when a human has their intestines hanging out, a vile tumor or eating their own shit/piss/pukes/boogers I get so disturbed by the visuals that I start to violently gag and cough.

So I'm curious why is that? Are we socially conditioned to respond this way or does it come naturally? I mean, it makes no logical sense why a human would find another humans natural smell utterly appalling or for a human to become so disturbed by an injured fellow human that fight or flight responses are triggered. No other animal reacts in this manner.
    Well skunks spray their skunk stink so other animals and other skunks wont go near, i assume they don't think it smells like roses?
    Also my old dog used to walk away after she had farted, i think farts count as natural smell!
    Last edited by mmoc0efa2cff2a; 2013-11-17 at 02:01 PM.

Your are conditioned this way. If a chimp throws his poop, it is funny. If a baby, particularly your own, takes his poop and smears it on the walls it is disgusting sure, but no where near as horrifying as a grown adult doing it. One would come to reason it is because an adult would have better sense to do that and therefore there must be something truly wrong with him. As for the wounds portion it is probably because you are seeing what your innards look like and are relating to it. That's why not all people can be doctors and I have the utmost respect for those who are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Well skunks spray their skunk stink so other animals and other skunks wont go near, i assume they don't think it smells like roses?
    Yeah but that's a defense mechanism that has been developed over millions of years for the sole purpose of being disgusting to other animals. xD

Deleted
    Humans are the only animal that smell absolutely fucking horrid mere hours after a shower. An animal can smell pretty shitty but it doesn't even come close to the natural smell of humans. .
    First, human is not an animal and should not be compared.

I dont know what society you live in, but most ppl who pass by me dont stink at all.

Also what you find disgusting the other may find nice, you know the saying: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", same can be applied to words like disgusting etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatlatitla View Post
    First, human is not an animal
    human ≠ animal
    What is this.

Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    Your are conditioned this way. If a chimp throws his poop, it is funny. If a baby, particularly your own, takes his poop and smears it on the walls it is disgusting sure, but no where near as horrifying as a grown adult doing it. One would come to reason it is because an adult would have better sense to do that and therefore there must be something truly wrong with him. As for the wounds portion it is probably because you are seeing what your innards look like and are relating to it. That's why not all people can be doctors and I have the utmost respect for those who are.
    This covers that portion of the question adequately.

As for our smell? Well, that's a byproduct of our diet. Have a healthy diet, have a healthy smell. Have a bad diet, have a bad smell.

Being as disgusting as we are is what makes us human. :]

Also, the use of soaps is a contributing factor to our bad smell, strangely enough. Something about the base in the soap neutralising the acids on our skin allowing for more bacterial growth.
    Last edited by CataclismicSunrise; 2013-11-17 at 02:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I dont know what society you live in, but most ppl who pass by me dont stink at all.

Also what you find disgusting the other may find nice, you know the saying: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", same can be applied to words like disgusting etc.
    Yeah right.

mmm, WHAT???

You just failed Biology 101 hard.
    Humans ARE animals :P

I find a lot of animals to be smelly too, and OP answers his own question by saying he think it's fun when animals eat their own shit, while he don't when homo sapiens do.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZombie View Post
    What is this.
    I think he means it in the way that, even though humans are animals, we're barely anything alike in ways of behaving and (thinking) even though thinking often doesen't apply to animals if at all.

Deleted
    Human are primates, primates are animals therefor humans are animals.

I live in a society where EVERYONE uses antiperspirant, perfumes, shampoos and hair conditioners. Most people smell lovely but that's because of these products. Ever been close to a bum or an alcoholic? Go within 5 feet, take a whiff and tell me that smells nice? Well, that is the natural human smell, - the stench of liquor of course.

What exactly would that be? You find open wounds or infected anuses to be beautiful or did you just entirely misunderstand my post?

You must be doing something wrong

I can wake up in the morning, not take a shower, deoderant or anything and still not smell awful (unless it was a particularly warm/hot night where I sweat in my sleep)
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Because your brain is designed to see a destroyed human and go "danger!" and it shows you the bad nature of this stimuli by making you uncomfortable and sick.

Also you are horribly disgusted by all other gore. You personally have been conditioned to not care about other gore (which would be amplified or caused by stuff like preparing meat), but you can be assured there are plenty of humans who feel the same way you do , about humans. Because they condition themselves that way.

Not being disgusted by something strange and a sign of danger or disease is a construct.

Being disgusted by something is Nature.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've clearly never smelt my kitten Tilly. She's a fucking abomination. Our other cat Oscar pins her down and cleans her sometimes because she's so hideous.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Where'd you get your zoology degree? Animal Planet?

Also, plenty of people do find human "natural" smells appealing. It just depends on what the actual smell is. Yes, we are evolutionarily programmed to find, say, the smell of shit appaling. That doesnt stop some people from having shit fetishes, it also doesn't stop others from finding the more "natural" smell of sweat (say after someone worked out) appealing. The issue is bacteria. Our senses have evolved to not want us to interact with things that could be a potential source of bacteria (like the smell of an un deoderized armpit, or unbrushed teeth). Remember, humans are also the only animal that wears clothes and has made fire.
    Last edited by Uvwaex; 2013-11-17 at 02:30 PM.

Deleted
    I don't think everybody will agree to this. Humans originate from apes, which are animals. The fact that our intelligence outgrew that of all other animals during evolution, doesn't make a difference here. We are not special.

False premise aside, it's something we're born with and/or conditioned to think (depending on what you're talking about).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

You're forgetting that even long before modern civilization, when we were at the "Tribal Stage" we knew which berries and leaves to use to clean ourselves. Humans don't tend to smell horrible a few hours after a shower, unless we've not properly cleaned ourselves which can be said for any animal.

Whether it is using Shower Gel, or ancient Berries, we've always used additional products to help keep ourselves clean and tidy. If you personally find that yourself, or other people you know tend to smell even after cleaning themselves, they either have a condition, or they're not cleaning themselves properly.

Spraying water on your armpit is hardly going to get rid of any bacteria or germs causing such a stink.

It's not meant to be normal to enjoy seeing a human slaughtered, we are brought up knowing that animals get slaughtered for food, so yeah, we are socially conditioned that way.

Oh, and unless I've been working out or playing a sport, I smell just fine hours after a shower, maybe you have sweating problems?