Murkalot, how to counter it?

I am in the battle pets. I have most of the pets that can be get in the game. I do not have any store pets, promotion pets, etc, just the ones from the game plus the pandaren monk that I got when I bought my new video card.

I have around 15 viable teams for pvp. Double valkyr, triple celestials, double wish, heavy dotting, etc. I was doing fine (around 80% win ratio).

But, since a week now a new pet arrived. Murkalot (the blizcon 2013 pet). This pet is trouble. I have around 10% win ration against it. It is usually paired with kovok or with the fossilized hatchling and is all your team is at 50% in round 3 and you had all your attacks blocked until then.

Any ideas how to counter murkalot with only "normal" pets and not $$$ pets?

Any team-wide damage effect will take off murkalot's shields from shieldstorm. So you can counteract the turn advantage the pet brings with that.

Righteous inspiration is a lot harder to counter, though. You can partially counter murkalot teams that rely on team-wide damage effects with sandstorm, but stuff like RI-buffed bonestorm will still hit like a truck. For murk teams with big single target damage, you can also try to guess and time an evasion ability for the same turn as righteous inspiration. That way your pet will be immune on the turn that the other pet has a billion speed and damage.

Also, remember that murkalot is slow. If you start the match with a pet that's faster and it and has a stun, you can stun it and then get two hits off on it before the shields will be up. So you can have murkalot down to half life when it goes to the back row. If you can make sure your fast stun pet is out in front the next time the murk team tries to fire off shieldstorm + righteous inspiration, you can either kill the murk before it even gets a second shieldstorm off or, more likely, force the murk team to use righteous inspiration without shielding first.

Thanks for answer.

I am trying different teams now, but I can't get teams with murkalot anymore and just losing to stupid teams that I would crush otherwise

Deleted
    dks own alot hehe

Played some more games and I think that murkalot is op. And if it is teamed with kovok I think it the best combo atm. I found few combos to counter it, problem is that those combos are useless against other teams.

For now, I can't find a combo that is able to maintain a high win ratio (>70%) against any team without murkalot and at least 40% against murkalot.

Quote Originally Posted by kyraka View Post
    Played some more games and I think that murkalot is op. And if it is teamed with kovok I think it the best combo atm. I found few combos to counter it, problem is that those combos are useless against other teams.

For now, I can't find a combo that is able to maintain a high win ratio (>70%) against any team without murkalot and at least 40% against murkalot.
    Sandstorm teams are good against kovok, even when he's combined with murkalot. Only problem with using a sandstorm team is that sandstorm doesn't work great with most AoE moves that remove shieldstorm.

I used little ragnaros to devastating effect on murk teams. Take Magma Wave, Magma Trap, sons of the Flame. Drop the trap, wave, wave detonates trap and removes shields, sons as you see fit. Was able to kill a double bonestorm team with that combo pretty easily because it readily disrupts everything they want to do without much effort and frees up slots for whatever you want to run.

You don't Haha! But really I don't know how haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyras View Post
    I used little ragnaros to devastating effect on murk teams.
    ragnaros is $$$ pet

Quote Originally Posted by kyraka View Post
    ragnaros is $$$ pet
    Anything with a board sweep should give you good shield removal. Just put some other abilities like a CC or such and try it out. Magma trap is hilariously nasty, but the lava wave nuking down all the shields at once is really nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use this 3 pets:
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=34770
    and
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=73011
    and
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=26056

First 2 pets will use the Bone Barrage and coin skill...this will destroy shields from murkalot and also make extra damage to it. When he switches on kovok use coins and then switch on water pet and anoy him with fast attacks. He will probaly switch on murk again so use the deal damage and heal yourself skill.

Or just go with croc + frog+ frog
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I have all those pets, I will give it a try, thanks for suggestion. How this team performs against other combos without a murkalot? Can score over 70% win ratio?

Deleted
    Murk and kovok got heavy nerfs. Time to go back to 100% unborn op.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmarcus View Post
    Murk and kovok got heavy nerfs. Time to go back to 100% unborn op.
    how come? what did they change to Murkalot?

#edit
    nevermind
    They swapped Shieldstorm with Falling Murloc in a way to never be able to have both Righteous Inspiration and Shieldstorm at the same time.
    Last edited by DemoBytom; 2013-11-20 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

I know about the nerf to murkalot, what is the nerf to kovok?

I haven't lost to the standard kovok / blackfuse bombling / murkalot team yet running H/B kovok / jademist dancer / H/H unborn valk. Murkalot / blackfuse bombling teams are fun to run I guess, but are still easily beaten. The armageddon brings my kovok into beast racial range so pheremones hits harder, and I only need two or three turns to get the most out of him anyway. Jademist comes in having taken little damage due to being elemental, heals / crit buffs pheremones + poison fang dot, kills enemy kovok easily enough, valk with ~600-800 HP left murders murkalot with sub-500 HP if the jademist hasn't already.

The other murkalot team I occasionally see is murkalot + fossilized hatchling, this doesn't do enough damage to my team for it to matter as most of them try "tank" with the hatchling while I murder their backline. If they put the hatchling in the back, it dies back there losing undead passive benefit while I kill their kovok or third pet.

The way murkalot teams are supposed to work is to get your big damage opener out, then "tank" the enemy team with some sort of avoidance or higher HP pet with dots or other decent passive damage to whittle them down, and shieldstorm while waiting for RI cooldown. But this strategy is countered heavily by a decently played kovok team because the murkalot team's backline suffers greatly resulting in it being unlikely to live long enough to get another RI off.

Deleted
    Kovok's pheromones 50% less dmg, and blackfuse jets 4 round cd.

From the tooltip, I'm a bit baffled why the pet that is swapped in during Righteous Inspiration dodges the incoming attack. Shieldstorm is cast. Your pet attacks and removes it. Righteous Inspiration is cast, always goes first, the pet is swapped in, your pet attacks and... miss. Every time. Anyways, if you run anything with Lift-off, use it on the turn you anticipate the Righteous Inspiration (the second in my experience, with Shieldstorm being the first cast usually). You'll be airborne for his bonus attack (because that breed of BH is slow), then blast his cheeseball ass afterwards and follow up with a Ghostly Bite before switching in your Idol for Sandstorm.
    Last edited by tiporispit; 2013-11-21 at 09:11 AM.