Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    Source: Either doesn't tank now or didn't tank in TBC.

Seriously, what's tanking now? You can't possibly ever lose threat. You do unreal DPS compared to the old days and every one of your abilities hits like umpteen things so there's almost never a need to swap targets.

Pump & dump is the name of the game now. Don't stand in shit (everyone has to do that). Taunt when DBM tells you to taunt.

You're delusional if you think tanking is harder now than at ANY point in the game's history.
    did you completely miss the entire active mitigation revolution?

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    Tanking in the games history: Get threat. AFK.

Now, you have active mitigation, which whilst it's still piss easy to do, it's considerably more `difficult` than anything prior.
    Maybe post Firelands. But threat was something you worked to maintain prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    Pressing an extra button every 6 seconds isn't exactly what I'd call engaging game play.

Or do you think so?
    :: We are cows - proud and true. Come on Tauren - Moo Moo Moo!

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Pressing an extra button every 6 seconds isn't exactly what I'd call engaging game play.

Or do you think so?

and 69696969 was?

The difference isn't the amount of buttons you press, the difference is the overall awareness needed.

Previously it was necessary to know what kind of threat you had on different targets, who else was targetting what, what your OT was doing (oh, and remember threat management on fights like Gruul?) as well as planning your pickup on new adds, etc..

Nowadays, you have the same amount of buttons, but there's far less to really think about. Since mobs pretty much stick to you now, it's moving occasionally, taunting occasionally and keeping your AM up.

So, while you may or may not have more buttons to press and "things to do", tanking is a much more introvertive style of play than it used to be. I think that's why tanks who started tanking back in the BC era (I didn't tank in Vanilla, so no real foundation for that) and enjoyed that hectic, heightened awareness type tanking find the new tanking model (i.e. threat is no longer an issue) a little lacking.

Is that a bad thing? Maybe for those who enjoy the hectic type tanking like myself, but for the community as a whole it's probably better how it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    and 69696969 was?
    We didn't all play paladins.
    :: We are cows - proud and true. Come on Tauren - Moo Moo Moo!

No? No, I didn't. It's just not that complicated. Spend rage on absorbs. Make sure you have an absorb up for unavoidable biggies. It really doesn't complicate things that much. Compared to the challenges of tanking in TBC it's child's play. Maybe it's different for other classes but Warrior tanking today is as easy as it's ever been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    (oh, and remember threat management on fights like Gruul?) as well as planning your pickup on new adds, etc..
    I don't think people do. Or they played Paladins and think every class was that easy.

Add management alone would be enough to make the comparison crazy. In TBC it was such an insane chore to pick up more than 1 add, now I basically LOLEAPTCLAP and pick up every mob within a 5 mile radius and they stick to me like ugly starving hookers in January.

I recently got my first tank in nearly 8 years of WoW to 90.

And I'm gonna be honest, I regret it, I'm probably going to go ret for anything but premade groups with friends, and nothing has made me hate other people as much as tanking has. I like tanking. I like the mechanics of it. It's fun, and doing it for friends is pretty cool. But random groups? Never, never, NEVER AGAIN. Between the hunters and warlocks who refuse to take their pet's taunt off, the healers who spam their worst heal while semi-AFK and get mad when you make them work a little (because you should apparently never be running heroics in anything less than full LFR gear, and if you're trying to replace that ONE item that just won't drop, you're supposed to pull a higher ilvl replacement out of your ass or something because god forbid the healer should have to actually, yanno, HEAL), the Derpknights DPSing in blood presence, and the general bitchy "everything is your fault even if it was something stupid I did to get my own stupid self killed" attitude people have? I'm so disgusted with the behavior of random groups that I'm not sure I want to do LFD/LFR for a while at ALL, let alone on my tank.

I used to think tanks were a bunch of jerkass primadonnas.
    Then I rolled one.
    Now I know why they act that way.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Pandaren Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    Tanking is considerably more complicated now than it was in TBC. The only difficult part of tanking Shattered halls as a warrior tank was a distinct lack of any meaningful AoE (lolthunderclap) so it was a frantic RSI inducing tab/sunder mess. That and the Timer/Execution thing so you had to storm through to get your extra badge.
    You must be kidding me right? I had Shield Wall once every HOUR. Just because I have more buttons doesn't make it more complicated. Threat isn't an issue. AOE Tanking isn't an issue. I decide to use Shield Block or Barrier depending on incoming physical vs magical damage and try to do as much damage as possible.

Paladin tanks are even easier, I just spam my shield of righteousness for that 40% damage reduction and wait 3 seconds if I just used it and got a proc. MAN SIGNIFICANTLY MORE COMPLEX.

The Patient
    To be brutally honest i dislike tanking in LFR due to the limited amount i can afk.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NathSB View Post
    I'd like to add:

4. Tank who doesn't know what he/she's doing, but actually says this and asks for advice and tactics. Usually does excellently after a short explanation, and so does the rest of the raid.

Actually seen quite a few of these lately. It's nice!
    Going by your description of your typical LFR run we must be in the same runs; because to believe the people on forums, only one run of that kind happens each week so we must be getting into it.

Keep up the good work
    While Diogenes was relaxing in the sunlight in the morning, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, stand out of my sunlight". Alexander then declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes", to which Diogenes replied, "If I were not Diogenes, I should also wish to be Diogenes."

That's Blizzard repeating what tanks say when asked.

Tanks certainly SAY that's why they aren't tanking LFR. Whether or not this is actually true and representative of all tanks is another matter.

Personally I've had a blast tanking and if anything I've had fewer shitty experiences than when I was DPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I am very nice to any tank I find who is exceptional at their job and class, because those tanks tend to be very rare.. But if you're an idiot, I'm going to call you out as such.
    Also, from my experience, the tank is usually the aggressor. More so when they aren't very skilled..

I only have a problem with mouthy tanks that think they are a gift to WoW, and tanks that just pull whenever the hell they feel like it.

Biting the hand that feeds!

Quote Originally Posted by TyrantWave View Post
    Tanking in the games history: Get threat. AFK.
    If by in the games history you mean the brief period in Wrath/Cata, then sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Etoo View Post
    I only have a problem with mouthy tanks that think they are a gift to WoW, and tanks that just pull whenever the hell they feel like it.
    When I join a dungeon as a tank, first thing I do is say "hi everybody. Heads up: I'm going to pull like a maniac". Then it's go time.

At least I warn them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    This too. I find a good tank rarely gets too much abuse, really. Not saying it won't/doesn't happen, but even if it does, if community interaction is making people not choose tanking that again is a game design problem. I don't understand how many times it needs to be nailed for Blizzard (and the players themselves, sometimes) to learn that you can't expect a community to fix itself.
    How does a person become a good tank? I haven't played WOW since the end of cata but I can assure you that it was the same back then with LFR. I could do LFR in my sleep and had been for ages. My first time tanking I left the group after the first wipe because of the complaining, mostly directed at myself. Even the other tank had a few choice words to say. This was after 1 wipe and I even indicated at the beginning of the fight that it was my first time on the boss. IIRC, it wasn't even my fault as the other tank died (Ultraxion). It was similar in dungeons where people would pull before you are even ready. I did a number of runs after that but people do need to lay off the tanks a bit if they want shorter queues. A DPS can fail and hardly anyone notices, a tank fails and the world comes to an end.

I suggested it a long time ago and I am not sure if they have changed it but one thing I would have done was let people select a loot type that is different from their present spec. I know the whole loot system is different now but that was a big problem with tanks in the past.

Tanks need more rewards to motivate them.
    There is no such thing as "ability bloat" just l2fp.

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Meh, I have a Blood offspec, too with no tanking gear. If I need a quick queue I'll hop in as a tank, or if the tank in there is a complete moron(which is saying a lot, since even a trained monkey throwing feces at the screen can typically tank LFR) I'll go Blood and tell him to just step aside.

That said, I don't tank them because tanking is a boring monkey's job in LFR. It has nothing to do with treatment for me, I've never had anyone complain or criticize my tanking in LFR.
    I never said the difficulty was as insane as, oh, Devil May Cry on "Dante Must Die" mode.

Death is the great equalizer.