1. #1

    Guild wars 2 ruined WoW for me...

    Does anyone feel the same way? I am genuinely interested in the next wow expansion, but when I think about going back to ....

    A single talent build and a single way to play your character

    No dodge mechanic

    People calling you scrub a lot

    Despite the fact that there will be a model update, I am finding it very hard to drag myself back to WoW and I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem...?

  2. #2
    This will probably be closed, since we can't compare games and it'll lead to flaming either way, but in a broader sense than "WoW vs GW2":

    Whenever I get used to a game, returning to another "should be similar" game drives me nuts, a bit. To a lesser extent it happens with alts (lifetapping on my priest...), but it's worst with different games.

    So yeah, going back and seeing an attack coming and tapping dodge, only to realize "oh, right, scratch that".

    Hitting F as you run around is the worst!

  3. #3
    What GW2 is missing that WoW has is interesting boss mechanics. The majority of encounters are either zerg or watch out for the one shot mechanic. Mostly everything else (if there is even another mechanic) can be easily ignored.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  4. #4
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,283
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Does anyone feel the same way? I am genuinely interested in the next wow expansion, but when I think about going back to ....

    A single talent build and a single way to play your character

    No dodge mechanic

    People calling you scrub a lot

    Despite the fact that there will be a model update, I am finding it very hard to drag myself back to WoW and I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem...?
    Well, isn't that just ANY online game?

    And define "single" way to play your character, most classes have 2-3 ways of being played.
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  5. #5
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Does anyone feel the same way? I am genuinely interested in the next wow expansion, but when I think about going back to ....

    A single talent build and a single way to play your character

    No dodge mechanic

    People calling you scrub a lot

    Despite the fact that there will be a model update, I am finding it very hard to drag myself back to WoW and I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem...?
    z

    I had a similar experience, Guild Wars 2 ruined Guild Wars 2 for me

  6. #6
    Pandaren Monk -Skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Liverpool, UK.
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Well, isn't that just ANY online game?

    And define "single" way to play your character, most classes have 2-3 ways of being played.
    I think he means rotation wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Nah, I disagree with your elitist mentality.
    Tier gear should be available during the leveling process. I don't want to have to mingle with these eltitist jerks in LFR to get gear as it is. I pay a sub fee, I shouldn't have to do LFR to get raid gear, much less Flex or Normal.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Posts
    3,123
    Well Gw2 is probably the first MMO i have ever been so invested and immersed in since the beginning of my wow days, and even then, those days weren't so clean. I don't think this thread should be closed because this is the first time I have seen this topic, and I agree with you. I tried to get back into wow back in June but failed horribly. The worst part about it is that the only reason I can think of why I couldn't get back into it was because Guild Wars 2 is just a more casual game. That's it.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

    Currently playing WoW: BigFattMario TallKidLuigi PeachIsCute

  8. #8
    Why do people continue to compare these two games? About all they have in common is that they are both MMOs.

    FFXIV, on the other hand... well, I'm going to try Warlords when it comes out, but I just don't know if it will be able to sway me.
    "I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    4,021
    WoW ruined WoW for me. I'm sure it's still a great game and there are masses of people who play it and prefer that kind of playstyle but I was sick to death of being defined by my gear rather than my skill. I had quit WoW about 6 months before GW2 launched.

    At first GW2 captured me with it's sheer beauty, quality and quantity of animations, how alive the world felt with the voiceovers and zonewide events, but the thing that keeps me coming back week after week is the combat. It is just so much fun to play
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  10. #10
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,339
    Fair enough. You found a game that you enjoy more. Good for you.

    So..why broadcast this to the world? Just move on and be done....
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  11. #11
    Yeah, the open-world events content, lack of a gear treadmill and lack of reliance on a trinity of roles to do any group content all pretty much made me go buh-bye WoW. I'm still interested in the story of WoW, but I can read about that and watch YouTube stuff for free. Not paying a sub just to see it 'in-person'. Only way I'll play the new xpac is if they give me free game time to try it out.

  12. #12
    Why do people continue to compare these two games? About all they have in common is that they are both MMOs.
    Because they have aspects that are similar. You can compare dungeon encounter designs for example which imo WoW beats GW2 at.

    But people saying WoW is a better MMO then GW2 is stupid yes since they don't have the same niche (like WoW vs FF14 etc)
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

    I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

  13. #13
    It's actually the quest/leveling system which killed the game for me, Every expansion it usually takes me 1-2 weeks to get to max level. For MoP it took me over 2 and a half months, I honestly can't stand go collect x or kill y quests, Guild wars 2 camouflages that system extremely well.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    WoW ruined WoW for me. I'm sure it's still a great game and there are masses of people who play it and prefer that kind of playstyle but I was sick to death of being defined by my gear rather than my skill. I had quit WoW about 6 months before GW2 launched.
    I quit WoW just before Deathwing patch, so I certainly didn't leave FOR something, I left because I was tired.

    Interestingly (well, to me) I only signed up for MMO-Champ because of the SW:TOR forum. I played TOR for a while and the content lag drove me off.

    At first GW2 captured me with it's sheer beauty, quality and quantity of animations, how alive the world felt with the voiceovers and zonewide events, but the thing that keeps me coming back week after week is the combat. It is just so much fun to play
    GW2's got me for it's smoothness and immersive world, but the content has been missing lately. I liked Bazaar, I liked Queens Jubilee, Scarlets debut, but SAB fell flat, Tequatl misses the mark horribly IMO, Halloween was a bitter disappointment and this Toxic stuff is not to my liking overall. I've got 10 characters at the moment, won't be another until char-slots are on sale again, so I've already entered the Altaholic End Times of "nothing new to level".

    Back to original topic, I also think GW2's brightness has fried my eyes, because ESO was just so dark and bland that I couldn't stand it.

  15. #15
    People are always going to compare MMO's to WoW, since it became the landmark of the genre by which most other games are measured in terms of popularity/design/success. Whatever else you may think of WoW, you can't deny its status as a cultural icon. It will be remembered for ages to come, much like games such as Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers, Street Fighter and Diablo will be remembered as landmarks in gaming.

    And I agree, the way GW handles Renown Hearts is much better than static kill/fetch quests. While they often have elements of that, they have other ways of handling the goal as well.

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Fiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    963
    I see no reason why GW2 would kill wow for anyone.

    WoW was always about guilds and raiding, about endgame, while questing and leveling was just something for new players to learn their abilities.

    gw2 has well.. great questing. And that's it. After doing my 200-th quest which felt exactly the same as previous 199 i was so tired of it that I lost all the motivation to play.
    Great graphics, awesome stories, tons of new stuff... and no reason to play, to improve yourself, to progress.

    And pretty crappy set of abilities for all classes btw...

    One heroic raid progression night with my guild in wow is worth all the hours I spent in gw2.

  17. #17
    Despite similarities, its often hard to swap between two MMOs. Some people have a really hard time even recognizing the differences, and only sort of flail in the air at the fact that their mental rhythms no longer match-up. "Nothing is as responsive as WoW!" is often a case of just not recognizing where each game triggers its calculations. Though other times it is just a matter of one game being more responsive than the other.

    Still, there are certain way of life features that I'm used to in GW2 that make it hard to go back to WoW or Rift for general PVE content. The event system makes the flow of movement through the world much more natural. When I stepped into NWN Online, I was a little shaken by how much I was being directed on where to move and go. The game had a magical sparkly trail of breadcrumbs to follow.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiana View Post
    I see no reason why GW2 would kill wow for anyone.
    I agree partly with this. WoW was killed for me a long time ago, didn't need GW2 to do it.

  19. #19
    Closing. Not a productive thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •