Question: Triple Monitor 1080P Final Fantasy 14 - GTX 760 4GB

I am looking to buy three Insignia 24" 1080P 60HZ TV's for $79.99 on Black Friday from Best Buy (Product Number: NS-24E40SNA14 ) and I attempted to research video cards to run a triple monitor setup in Final Fantasy 14: ARR on high settings, since my 550TI can not even run a dual screen setup gaming setup. I read that it is necessary to have over 2GB of VRAM to run triple monitors or to have an SLI setup. I was looking at the EVGA GTX 760 4GB because it fits within my budget (less than $350.00), since I cannot afford a 760 SLI build.

My question is; will the 760 4GB run the triple monitor 1080p (on high settings, maybe Ultra) in FFXIV comfortably or will it struggle?

My current computer is Dell XPS X8300-4004NBK (Processor: i5-2320, Ram: 6GB, HD: 1TB, Power Supply: TR2-600W). I know that it is not an optimal computer, but I bought it at a decent price two years ago. I do not have the money to build a new PC, so please let me know if the PC can handle the 760 4GB video card.

Also, if you have better monitor suggestions for or around the same price as the TV's I am hoping to buy, please let me know. I'm a newb at gaming rigs and hope that I provided the information needed. Thanks for the help

4GB on the 760 is a gimmick to take people's money. The card's performance and 256bit membus will hinder it before a lack of VRAM.

Using TVs, especially low quality ones will also end poorly with very high response times, ghosting and non-native 1080p resolutions stretching and blurring the 1080p source image.
    Last edited by glo; 2013-11-17 at 08:05 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I see. So your suggestion would be to buy better monitors and to buy a 760 2GB instead, since the 4GB will not improve performance?

For Triple monitor 1080p + High/Ultra target graphics for FFIV, you'd be better served by either two 760s in SLI, or one 780 3GB model. Both are within ear shot of each other on price -- I'd do a GTX 780 3GB for your needs, personally. Unfortunately, triple/quad monitor gaming is just expensive if you also demand high graphical settings.

Ignoring SLI and just factoring in single cards, the wider memory bus of the 780 (384-bit) will make more of a difference than more VRAM on a smaller bus (256-bit) of the 760. A 760/770 with 256-bit bus will likely yield you medium/high at best across 3 monitors, regardless of the amount of VRAM, because its going to be constrained by the bus width. You may even see some hiccups with a GTX 780, as that's a lot of pixels to push, and FFIV isn't exactly a light game.

Quote Originally Posted by ajf05c View Post
    I see. So your suggestion would be to buy better monitors and to buy a 760 2GB instead, since the 4GB will not improve performance?
    Personally I would drop an extra 40 bucks on a 280x for massively better tri monitor performance. Maybe save up and buy better displays one by one or pick up a few decent panels on newegg during cyber Monday for 100ish.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Thanks for the explanation guys. I am glad I asked first before buying the 760 4GB and TV's or it would've been a waste of money.

Glo, I've been trying to searching for Black Friday or Cyber Monday's deals on Newegg or Amazon to see what will be available, but I have not been able to find ad scans. I am assuming that they don't really say ahead of time of what sales they will have, so I will just have to log in and check it out on the day of. I did read a suggestion about the 280x and the 290x for triple monitor and I am glad you mention it. I will look into the 280x and if I decide to go through with the purchases I will lean towards getting that card. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ajf05c View Post
    Thanks for the explanation guys. I am glad I asked first before buying the 760 4GB and TV's or it would've been a waste of money.

Glo, I've been trying to searching for Black Friday or Cyber Monday's deals on Newegg or Amazon to see what will be available, but I have not been able to find ad scans. I am assuming that they don't really say ahead of time of what sales they will have, so I will just have to log in and check it out on the day of. I did read a suggestion about the 280x and the 290x for triple monitor and I am glad you mention it. I will look into the 280x and if I decide to go through with the purchases I will lean towards getting that card. Thanks again.
    Final fantasy 14 is a mmo game, right? Theyre mostly just CPU intensive rather than gpu. Theres no point buying a 290x over a 280x.

Deleted
    Or take the best price per performance option, 290.

Faithh: Yes, Final Fantasy 14 is an MMO. It was re-released back in August-September.

Based on benchmark tests, I see that the 7970 GHZ edition works relatively well on medium settings for games like Far Cry and Battlefield 3 in the triple monitor resolution 5760 x 1080. The 280x supposedly is a rebranded 7970 GHZ , so it seems like the 280x is the best option for a 5760x1080 resolution, at my current budget of under $350.

Now, to find three decent monitors between a $80 - $120 pricepoint. Anyone have any suggestions. I would prefer monitors that had a thin screen edging, if that makes sense, so that the break between the three monitors wont be too thick. I am researching a few I saw at a store, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears (or all eyes in this case, hehe).

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer monitors that had a thin screen edging
    That is called the bezel. I dont know any super thin at that price range. I've linked an example below.

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2367Fh-23...bezel+monitors
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    That is called the bezel. I dont know any super thin at that price range. I've linked an example below.

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2367Fh-23...bezel+monitors
    I'd just like to point out that while that monitor doesn't have a bezel, the image still doesn't stretch all the way to the edge

Korgoth: I saw that monitor you linked (or a similar one) on sale at Best Buy today for $150.00. I really liked it too. I just bought my 280X and I'd hate it to ruin the experience with crappy TV's or monitors. So I may have to sell out a extra $150.00 than I was intending to spend. I was hoping to Black Friday had a decent sale of bezel monitor's like these, but so far I've seen nothing.

This is my first time posting on MMO-Champ, ever, even though its been in my favorites since like '08 or something lol. You guys have been great. Thank you.