Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Patch 5.4.2 - Karazhan Cleanup, Blue Tweets, Setup of the Month, Blizzcon Cosplay

Story Time With Wyatt Cheng, Removal of Nephalem Valor, Pickup Radius Reduced for RoS, Curse Weekly Roundup

Weekly News Recap, Building a Budget Druid Deck, Beta Key Giveaway

Patch 5.4.2 - Karazhan Cleanup
    You might have noticed the addition of a new phase, "Karazhan Restoration" in the latest PTR build. It is unclear what that phase will be used for, but the regular version of Karazhan has seen some cleanup in 5.4.2. Most of the spiderwebs, skeletons, and overturned chairs have been removed. All other signs of abandonment and age remain untouched.

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Warlords of Draenor Beta
    Yes, No or IDK interview question time! Will we see WoD Beta before the end of February?
    IDK (Source)

Warlords' preview looked great but pretty raw compared to how polished everything was for the Pandaria announcement.
    That's odd. Feels like we are farther along for WoD than we were for MoP. (Source)

Classes
    Will tank dps be looked at for WoD, It's just not right that they are top on so many encounters. They should NEVER be
    We are planning on changing Vengeance to only affect defenses and just making tank abilities hit harder. (Source)
    That should let tank DPS be relevant, without it being absurd. They may still win meters on big AE fights. (Source)

DoT snapshotting existed before MoP and it's a skill differentiator. The balance issue is Pandemic.
    The real issue is temp stat boosts. We just can't do them in class CDs, trinkets etc. when snapshotting is so prominent (Source)

Spirit won't matter as long as you have varied regen mechanics, mindbender vs innervate? rofl. 600kmana/9min vs 180k/9min...
    You can't compare spells in a vacuum. Who runs out of mana first, the Holy priest or Resto druid? (Source)

Druid (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Hey.. speaking of the new character models.. will druid forms get some love aswell?
    I doubt it. They were redone fairly recently in the grand scheme of things. (Source)

Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    You say you want hunters to fill the role of mobile ranged, then give us Snipe. I don't get it. (1of2)
    The intent is someone who is willing to deal with the challenge of non 100% movement can perhaps benefit from DPS. It's optional. (Source)

Mage (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Will fire mages get a revamp in 6.0? You remarked before they need work but was not essential in 5.4.
    in what way do you think that combustion is hard to understand?
    It's not hard to understand per se it's the insane decision tree that Combustion + Alter Time creates & the penalty for failing (Source)

Rogue (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Is slice and dice deleted for Warlords of draenor (for sub and combat)?
    Not at the moment. We just want to distinguish rotations a bit more by not having all rogues have to manage it. (Source)

Warlords of Draenor Flying
    I was wondering if Blizzard was planning to cut flying altogether from WoD? The forums can be a scary place sometimes. :|
    No. We like no flying when content is relevant. In 6.1 the Draenor zones won't be current, but there will be a new no-fly zone. (Source)

No Flying till 6.1 = Awesome. Will we have FelReaver-esque SAVAGE things to look out for and remember for years to come?
    Yes. It is a world of giants. There are gronn and even larger things stomping about. (Source)

We have to quest to fly in 6.1? Why is Blizzard so in love with grinds? I just want to pvp.
    The soul of the game is progression. You overcome challenges to earn things. Rewards for free don't feel like rewards. (Source)

Put a compelling, interesting, or fun activity in that encourages people not to fly. Don’t force it
    Is there anything fun or compelling about raid trash? Repair costs? Earning lesser charms? Yet those still have value... (Source)

Name one thing that barring flight gives you that you couldn't do with a little bit of ingenuity without barring flight.
    Swoop down, kill quest target, fly away without fighting anything else. (Source)
    It seems a lot of the dislike for flying is from pvp? Would I be correct in that assumption?
    A small part of it, but we also hate the way folks quest with flying mounts. Swoop down, unlock prison cage, swoop away. (Source)
    Questing is boring and tedious as hell at this point. I'd rather just be done with it ASAP.
    We don't want it to be an endless slog, but we do view questing as a core component of the experience. (Source)

Can’t wait to see the end of WoD when “No flying” is written off as a mistake after all your defending. Same as dailies were
    It's always possible, but we were happy with no flying until 90 and no flying on Timeless Isle or Isle of Thunder. (Source)

PvE
    Quick question: what's your favourite class/spec & raid boss? I know you work in a lot of those, but pick one of each
    It wouldn't be prudent to answer the first. For the second, tie between new Ragnaros and Lei Shen. (Source)
    Lich King was amazing (fav by miles), rag was sick too though. Lei Shen has been one of the best balanced bosses tho
    I liked LK a lot, but if I'm being honest, too much of the fight was burning adds or Defile lightning reflexes. Still great. (Source)

can we please have CD reset on ICD effects on boss pull?
    We are going to work very hard to make lining up everything on the pull less of a thing. It causes bad gameplay overall. (Source)

Are we supposed to clear Normal *and* Heroic before getting to Mythic?
    Just heroic. If you are a mythic prone guild (mythic curious?) then normal is probably too easy and unrewarding for you. (Source)

Delay the start of raiding in WoD for 1 ~ 2 weeks please! Nice to be able to level without having to rush.
    We think that worked out well for MoP. (Source)

Plus, the word Mythic sounds pretty awesome, in my opinion. That matters to people, right?
    But everyone at Blizzcon called it MYSTIC. (Source)
    Avoid the Mythic/Mystic confusion. Use a word you already use. Legendary Raid!
    When we debated that, the fear was the immediate assumption that it dropped all orange loot. (Source)

While there are more 10h than 25h raiders, both groups are still very small. We support heroic raiding, but let's keep the in perspective. (Source)
    This is going to be like 5.0 dailies. Wrong solution to the right problem. The ICC system is preferable to a single size.
    The problem with ICC is the 10-player raiders felt like second class citizens since the ilevels were lower. (Source)
    So how does returning ten mans to second class status make sense now? That is where they are going back to.
    Ten player raiding is extremely popular and we are going to continue to support it. Ten player heroic raiding is much less popular. (Source)

For the much larger population of 10n players, flex in 6.0 will only help them. (Source)
    The problem with flex is, people stop at 13-14 players because mechanics switch to 25m mode. People dont want to fill up.
    There are some break points today, but we've fixed most of those for 6.0. (Source)

Will Mythic mode have to be unlocked by completing Heroic mode? Much like going from Normal mode > Heroic mode is now.
    Not sure yet, but it will definitely unlock a week later like it does today. (Source)
    but we can start in heroic mode right?Two clears before we can "start" would kinda kill the excitement IMO
    Current plan (could change) is N and H on week two, Mythic on week three (if you've beaten H) and LFR after that. (Source)

It looks like it's an RL option, like today it's just another option on the list.
    Correct. In LFR it's always personal. Else, raid leader can choose. You can argue he or she should go personal in a pug. (Source)
    Can you tell if the groups made from the new Browsing Raid will be able to change Loot Specialization middle raid?
    Sure. We'll likely still have bonus rolls, and those are always personal even if your loot system is not. (Source)
    Would you consider keeping all mount/pet drops as personal even if loot system is not?
    I'd worry that some groups like to decide who gets the mount. (Source)

Computers - Setup of the Month (by chaud)
    Each month or every 2 months, depending on the hardware evolutions, the lovely chaud will work on a couple of hardware setups for those of you who are thinking of upgrading their computer!

This month
    New GPUs from AMD are on the way, so if you are only upgrading your GPU it might be worth it to wait a month or two.

The current SSD prices are stable, with most SSDs under $1 per gigabyte when on sale. RAM prices are remaining high.

The Haswell CPUs run a little bit on the warmer side. Depending on how much you want to overclock, you may need to spend a bit more for a better CPU cooler like the NH-D14 or H90.

Unless you are doing a lot of video rendering or something that is similarly multithreaded, you do not need the 4770K and should spend that money elsewhere.

Make sure to keep your AMD and Nvidia drivers up to date.

Don't hesitate to post any feedback in the comments of that news post, and don't forget to visit the Computer Forum for any extra questions! If you are interested in Folding@home, take a look in our team's thread.

Peripherals/Monitors
    ComponentPuppy Dolphin
    MonitorAsus VE228H 21.5-Inch Monitor - $126ASUS VS248H-P 24-Inch Monitor - $160
    KeyboardKensington Pro Fit Media Keyboard - $18Cyborg V.5 - $45
    MouseLogitech G400s - $45Razer Deathadder - $47
    SpeakersCreative A220 2.1 Speaker System - $28Logitech Z313 Speaker System - $35
    ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
    MonitorAsus VE258Q 25-Inch Monitor - $213HP ZR2440W 24-inch - $333
    KeyboardLogitech G510s - $82CM Storm QuickFire XT - $95
    MouseLogitech G500 - $62Razer Naga (Buttons on the Side) - $70
    SpeakersLogitech Z323 2.1 Speaker System - $53Logitech Speaker System Z523 - $65

Puppy and Dolphin
    All of these parts can be mixed and matched to create a build between Puppy and Dolphin.
    ComponentPuppy Dolphin
    CaseNZXT Source 210 - $35NZXT Source 210 - $35
    Power SupplyCorsair CX500 - $50XFX Core Edition PRO 550W - $60
    CPUAMD FX-6300 - $119AMD FX-8320 - $160
    HeatsinkCooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $25Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $33
    MotherboardASUS M5A97 R2.0 - $95ASUS M5A99FX PRO - $118
    MemoryKingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1333 - $408GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $80
    Graphics CardMSI 7790 OC - $100Gigabyte R9 270X or Gigabyte GTX 660 - $207 / $170
    Hard DriveWestern Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $56Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $87
    DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22
    Total$542$765 - $802

Narwhal and Unicorn
    All of these parts can be mixed and matched to create a build between Narwhal and Unicorn.
    ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
    CaseCooler Master HAF 912 - $60Corsair Air 540 (Special Layout) - $150
    Power SupplyCorsair 650TX V2 - $90Corsair 750HX - $110
    CPUIntel i5-4670K - $235Intel i7-4770K - $339
    HeatsinkThermaltake Frio - $56Noctua 6 NH-D14 - $78
    MotherboardASUS Z87-A - $144ASUS Z87-PLUS - $160
    Memory8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $8016GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $162
    Graphics CardXFX 7950 OR MSI N760 TF - $250 / $250Gigabyte R9 280X OR ASUS GTX 770 - $300 / $315
    Hard DriveWestern Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $87Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $87
    SSDSAMSUNG 840 128GB (Review) - $120
    OR
    Plextor 128 GB M5 Pro (Review) - $113
    Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB (Review) - $130
    OR
    SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB (Review) - $132
    DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22
    Total$1137 - $1156$1521 - $1555

Blizzcon Cosplay Video
    Blizzcon had some very nice cosplay this year!

Last edited by chaud; 2013-11-18 at 01:43 AM.

Pretty excited for Kara

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    First ?

Yayyyy Karazhan !

Edit: First fail

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it.

Did they clean Karazhan to make it anew, or just to make it less scary for kids below 7?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruktio View Post
    I don't get it.

Did they clean Karazhan to make it anew, or just to make it less scary for kids below 7?
    I'm thinking the same thing :S

Quote Originally Posted by Destruktio View Post
    I don't get it.

Are spiderwebs scary?

I really hope they just leave kara alone and let it rest in peace in all its glory instead of revamping it and completely ruining it.

edit : i would be 100% for a karazhan crypts raid/instance

Maybe we will see kara before it was bad?

Oh god, we finally got the inverted Kara we've been asking for this entire time, but it's one of those corrupted monkey paw wishes where everything turns out the exact opposite of what you wanted. Instead of the catacombs, it's the fucking Disney castle.

Deleted
    Some of that cosplay blows my mind. Absolutely amazing work.

Be interesting to see what they pull off with Kara, but I suspect it's going to end up being some sort of scenario.

Possibly a pre-expansion event?

I'll stand by this to the end. If I'm wrong then so be it.

Angry No touchy

Quote Originally Posted by dercaderca View Post
    I really hope they just leave kara alone and let it rest in peace in all its glory instead of revamping it and completely ruining it.

edit : i would be 100% for a karazhan crypts raid/instance

yea.....i was hoping this day would never come (as im sure most people were) but they need to leave Kara the hell alone. They already killed ZA and ZG. We like it just the way it is Blizz....dont touch it >_>

Deleted
    Karhazan was the first Raid that i tanked. Soo im pretty excited what will come out from this.

Deleted
    Seems like they got some funds to spare and hired a maid... x)

Deleted
    as long as they dont zul gurubify/zul amanify karazhan im ok with it

Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    I'll stand by this to the end. If I'm wrong then so be it.
    That's my first guess as well.

Deleted
    I was wondering if Blizzard was planning to cut flying altogether from WoD? The forums can be a scary place sometimes. :|
    No. We like no flying when content is relevant. In 6.1 the Draenor zones won't be current, but there will be a new no-fly zone.

That makes no sense.
    6.1 does not make the zones irrelevant. Only for people who are past them, if the zones are designed not to be flown over, then they should not be flown over.
    Either cut flying or dont, stop bloody dithering and pissing everyone off.

Revamped karazhan to tide us over until WoD? i hope so!

I am still hoping for a scaled down Karazhan, to test the new scaling feature they are working on. Would be awesome for them to create a raid that scaled down and had the same bosses and mechanics and dropped vanity items and semi-good epics (522) as a part of a pre-event.